Xavier Foster

It sounds like the coaches are telling Foster their school is the best place for him becoming a pro. I don't remember any talk like that with the point guard that ended up committing to ohio state.

Are we not to utter his name now? "Let his name be obliterated from every obelisk and statue!"

I know that XF believes he can be a one and done.
If your a one and done kid and not only are you (as the player) are confident in that but the scouts and talent evaluators how might that shape a kids thoughts. I mean does it matter if you chase a title with a blue blood? Or would staying closer to home doing what Ricky Davis did have some appeal? I dunno every kid is different obviously nothing would surprise me too much. I stand by my thought of Carton could have been the domino starter for some big things. Without him.... It just doesn't seem like as hard as Patrick is working on other kids that he's having an impact with some of those other guys... Time will tell.

If your a one and done kid and not only are you (as the player) are confident in that but the scouts and talent evaluators how might that shape a kids thoughts. I mean does it matter if you chase a title with a blue blood? Or would staying closer to home doing what Ricky Davis did have some appeal? I dunno every kid is different obviously nothing would surprise me too much. I stand by my thought of Carton could have been the domino starter for some big things. Without him.... It just doesn't seem like as hard as Patrick is working on other kids that he's having an impact with some of those other guys... Time will tell.

only way we land him is if he bleeds black and gold

If you truly believe you are a 1 and done, what college you choose matters zero as far as the best "path to the NBA" goes.

If you truly believe you are a 1 and done, what college you choose matters zero as far as the best "path to the NBA" goes.

Disagree to a point. If your support cast is not decent you become a big target. Good way to get hurt.

I agree with that a 1 and done talent doesn't need a particular school to get to the pro's, but I will say this caveat. If you only expect to play college ball for 1 year you might place a heavy priority towards title contention. These kids have never known mediocrity. Most of them tend to gravitate towards programs with track records of winning big.

That is where Iowa is lacking. McCaffery is obviously an engaging recruiter. We don't win a lot of the elite recruits, but they pay Iowa attention and at least give us consideration. Without the success on the court though it is so hard to convince these kids to take the risk that their only year in college might be for a mediocre squad or even worse some full stinker squad like last year.

Disagree to a point. If your support cast is not decent you become a big target. Good way to get hurt.

Interesting point. That seems like a logical thought. On the other hand though it didn't seem to work out too bad for Ben Simmons or Collin Sexton recently. I guess it's hard to say exactly what a particular recruit is thinking.

There are also benefits to being by far the most talent player on your team.

1) You are the focus of the offense
2) You aren't getting playing time taken away by other one and dones
3) You are the media focus of every game that team plays. For instance who would ESPN be talking about on Iowa's side in a match up between MSU and Iowa?

All the publicity, all the accolade are going to you, raising your profile. So while there might be some downsides, there are also positives that I think easily out weigh them.

There are also benefits to being by far the most talent player on your team.

1) You are the focus of the offense
2) You aren't getting playing time taken away by other one and dones
3) You are the media focus of every game that team plays. For instance who would ESPN be talking about on Iowa's side in a match up between MSU and Iowa?

All the publicity, all the accolade are going to you, raising your profile. So while there might be some downsides, there are also positives that I think easily out weigh them.

Counterpoint in fun. Ultra talented players gave a hard time being a part of the game when they are the game. At the NBA level only one player can be the game in LJ.

You just went from saying we can't get highly ranked kids to saying rankings don't matter. And if you're not impressed with Wieskamp it's because one of two reasons. He committed to Iowa, or he's white. He's the most talented Iowa guard since Ricky Davis and baring injury, he will go down as an all time great at Iowa.

This is pure speculation based on him not even playing in one college game yet. Of course I hope you are right as that would be awesome!!!!

For the older guys they will remember the hype around Glen Worley who at the time was known as one of the highest ranked recruits to commit to Iowa.

Glen who????

That class was also ranked as a top five class in the country after it was announced that Indiana’s all star guard was transferring to Iowa. That class ended up being a bust. Glen ended up being a below average Big Ten guard.

So before season hype doesn’t always mean squat. I do have a good feeling about Wieskamp though and I am hoping he can be a difference maker and a huge spark to the team. I am not saying that your wrong and that it won’t happen or can’t happen but Glen was hyped up much more than Wieskamp and we all seen how that went.

Here’s to hoping your right!

A commit by someone like Foster could be a game changer for Fran as it could start a snow ball affect..................... that’s if Foster lives up to the hype. If he doesn’t come to Iowa then Frans only hope would be to recruit someone that comes out of no where (like White did) and takes the Big Ten by storm. That kind of break could also snow ball. Right now it seems like the snow ball is going up hill and gettin smaller.

A commit by someone like Foster could be a game changer for Fran as it could start a snow ball affect..................... that’s if Foster lives up to the hype. If he doesn’t come to Iowa then Frans only hope would be to recruit someone that comes out of no where (like White did) and takes the Big Ten by storm. That kind of break could also snow ball. Right now it seems like the snow ball is going up hill and gettin smaller.
I think we're gonna be seeing a lot of this.

Jefferson_Snow12814d.jpg

We need to trust our head coaches to recruit and land the best players in Iowa...and elsewhere...and give them, well, about 30 years to get it done...the Iowa Way!

Latest posts