Xavier Foster

Yep. Dosn't matter how many of these high end recruits Fran is "in on", when he can't get to the NCAA tournament or make any noise in the BIG conference. Won't sign any of them. If I were Fran/Gutless gary, I'd find a bag man or 2 and start cheating like everyone else. Then lawyer up and refuse to cooperate with the NCAA...just like everyone else. Threaten to take them to court....just like everyone else. If the NCAA won't level the playing field, I'd do it myself.

I hate it, but I am at that point as well.

Exactly. So if Self was trying to poach Weiskamp, but Joe had no part of it and didn’t release it publicly, then Hawk fans in Tn would have no idea that it ever happened. That doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Either way let’s wait until these guys play a college game before we decide who’s a difference maker.

Pardon me for injecting a tad bit of optimism. If we develop a very good chemistry amongst the players this year, and our defense allows 10 points fewer, we could go along way in the conference this year. Not saying we'll be the Ohio St of last year, but we have some good shooters and post players on the roster! I could see is finishing as high as 5th!

Pardon me for injecting a tad bit of optimism. If we develop a very good chemistry amongst the players this year, and our defense allows 10 points fewer, we could go along way in the conference this year. Not saying we'll be the Ohio St of last year, but we have some good shooters and post players on the roster! I could see is finishing as high as 5th!
I like it. I think our roster is more balanced this year and if Weiskamp can fill our hole at the 3 spot we should be in good shape.

I don’t think we are out of the Xavier Foster sweepstakes just yet either. That doesn’t mean we are a lock to get him or even the favorite, it just means we have a fighters chance.

If Connor can step up, and Joe contributes, I see us as a tourney team. Cook is going to be unstoppable and I think the Christian stuff last year really threw a wrench in things. If we make the tourney, I would guess we still have a shot at Xavier. I read an article where he seems really down to earth. That being said, if I could go to Duke or Kansas, it'd be tough to turn down obviously.

This is all kind of funny to me. Everyone pretty much assumed the blue blood offers were coming. That doesn’t mean Iowa is out of it yet. Didn’t Tyler Cook have a Kansas offer? Didn’t XF grow up in Iowa as an Iowa fan?

I’m not saying we are going to get XF, I’d put chances at 25%, but I just find it funny that when the inevitable blue blood offers come we instantly announce he’s gone.
DJ was gone and he didn't even get any blue blood offers. Not sure it has as much to do with blue blood offers. Just offers from programs that want to win and hire/recruit/cheat accordingly. Iowa isn't willing to do those things.

DJ was gone and he didn't even get any blue blood offers. Not sure it has as much to do with blue blood offers. Just offers from programs that want to win and hire/recruit/cheat accordingly. Iowa isn't willing to do those things.
I’m just saying let’s wait and see. XF is still uncommitted.

The state of Iowa has a top 50 player in 3 strait classes (really good). So far Fran is 1 for 2 which is solid. If he gets 2 of 3 that’d be great. You could argue that D.J. was the only one of the 3 that didn’t grow up in Iowa.

Recall earlier in this thread I mentioned UW and all the success they’ve had. Most people believe they do it the right way. Even with all that success, they’ve missed on a ton of top in state guys

-Kevon Looney (247 comp #11 in the country)
-Diamond Stone (247 comp #6 in the country)
-Henry Ellenson (247 comp #7 in the country)
-Tyler Herro (247 comp #37 in the country)
-Joey Hauser (247 comp #51 in the country)

That doesn’t mean they haven’t landed any of the top guys either. (Sam Dekker / Bronson Koenig (had NC offer))

I know it’s an easy time to be down on Iowa basketball, but let’s keep everything in perspective. Will Iowa land every instate kid? Probably not, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible either, even if the blue bloods get involved.

The state of Iowa has a top 50 player in 3 strait classes (really good). So far Fran is 1 for 2 which is solid. If he gets 2 of 3 that’d be great. You could argue that D.J. was the only one of the 3 that didn’t grow up in Iowa.

Recall earlier in this thread I mentioned UW and all the success they’ve had. Most people believe they do it the right way. Even with all that success, they’ve missed on a ton of top in state guys

That doesn’t mean they haven’t landed any of the top guys either. (Sam Dekker / Bronson Koenig (had NC offer))

I know it’s an easy time to be down on Iowa basketball, but let’s keep everything in perspective. Will Iowa land every instate kid? Probably not, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible either, even if the blue bloods get involved.
Wisconsin's success falls under the "hire" portion of my statement. Iowa isn't willing or able to hire a great coach.

About the only white difference maker in the last 40 years was Larry Bird. Maybe a couple of others. We're conditioned to think that way anyway.

Really? You actually think that way? African-Americans dominate the sport, they don't own it. I am not all in on Wieskamp the way PChawk is, but I do feel he can be a difference maker.

Really? You actually think that way? African-Americans dominate the sport, they don't own it. I am not all in on Wieskamp the way PChawk is, but I do feel he can be a difference maker.

I am all in. He will be freshmen all big 10 this year and be first team all big 10 twice as long as he's here and healthy all 4 years. He's too good already and too motivated not to be great.

There was a time when legendary Wisconsin preps left the state like it was burning to the ground. Joe Wolf, Todd Meier, Brian Garner (yes, he was legendary as a prep, read the Wall of Fame at Wisconsin Dells JustAGame center).

Bo Ryan got to the point where he could weed out the ones he didn't want, like Diamond Stone, and select the ones he did, like Dekker, Gasser and Koenig.

Back in the day, Bobbi Olson would make her famous apple cinnamon pancakes at the Olson house for recruits on official visits.

I just got very hungry.

Latest posts