ISU 1
Iowa 0

Conference championships
ISU 2
Iowa 0

Conference tournament championships
ISU 5
Iowa 2

and how's that supposed to change when the best guys go somewhere else? My guess is it isn't. You have to play it out, you can't really make your decisions on what you "think" "might" happen.... but if I were guessing, I would guess that Iowa is going to struggle to even be a bubble program after you lose literally the 2 best players to come out of the state in back to back seasons. I hope I am wrong, but it's hard to say differently or project differently at this point.

Last edited:
This one hurts there is no question about it. Have to lock down these type of in state recruits. I almost feel a little bad for Fran and Sherm, all the time and effort they’ve put in, but such is life as a major college Bball coach. I don’t agree at all with the Foster’s NBA logic (I think if you’re good enough the NBA will find you). But that’s the challenge with recruiting you never know what’s going to be the deciding factor or how the recruits and their families are going to think.

On Foster’s career I actually don’t think he’s going to be a big time program changer. That might sound like sour grapes right now but I have eluded to that before. His potential basketball ceiling is very high but he isn’t there yet. From what I gathered he seems a little passive at times and hangs out around the perimeter. If Iowa State fans are expecting him to come in and be a big time impact maker as a freshman I think they might be a little surprised. That’s just my opinion anyway so part of me thinks okay say he comes in and plays two years at Iowa State and averages like 8-12 points. That’s a quality piece to have but maybe not deserving of all the hype we are seeing here. I think Wieskamp, Carton, and for that matter Garza will all have much more productive COLLEGE careers than Foster. Again could be sour grapes but just my opinion.

This one hurts there is no question about it. Have to lock down these type of in state recruits. I almost feel a little bad for Fran and Sherm, all the time and effort they’ve put in, but such is life as a major college Bball coach. I don’t agree at all with the Foster’s NBA logic (I think if you’re good enough the NBA will find you). But that’s the challenge with recruiting you never know what’s going to be the deciding factor or how the recruits and their families are going to think.

On Foster’s career I actually don’t think he’s going to be a big time program changer. That might sound like sour grapes right now but I have eluded to that before. His potential basketball ceiling is very high but he isn’t there yet. From what I gathered he seems a little passive at times and hangs out around the perimeter. If Iowa State fans are expecting him to come in and be a big time impact maker as a freshman I think they might be a little surprised. That’s just my opinion anyway so part of me thinks okay say he comes in and plays two years at Iowa State and averages like 8-12 points. That’s a quality piece to have but maybe not deserving of all the hype we are seeing here. I think Wieskamp, Carton, and for that matter Garza will all have much more productive COLLEGE careers than Foster. Again could be sour grapes but just my opinion.

in your defense, you had that opinion way before today.

Iowa might be fine and it's cool to say "eh, we'll be fine" and that might be all well and good, but you'll never convince me that it wouldn't be easier to be "fine" with X and DJ

That was my point when I said if he thinks with his head he will play for the Cyclones.

and how's that supposed to change when the best guys go somewhere else? My guess is it it isn't. You have to play it out, you can't really make your decisions on what you "think" "might" happen.... but if I were guessing, I would guess that Iowa is going to struggle to even be a bubble program after you lose literally the 2 best players to come out of the state in back to back seasons. I hope I am wrong, but it's hard to say differently or project differently at this point.

I don't expect that it will. I just try to enjoy Iowa basketball and see what happens. I've been watching since the Raveling era and once in my life I have considered Iowa as more than a mid-tier B1G program. 1986-87 & 1987-88. Thats it.

Davis & Fran have coached most of that time while both of them had had their moments, they ultimately failed because they refused to commit to playing good half court defense. Even when Fran got Iowa into the top 10 a few times I knew it would blow up in his face. I've seen it too many times with Davis. Up and down basketball is good entertainment, but not winning basketball unless you have the athletes to play D. Davis did with GRs recruits for a couple years and Fran never has had them.

In-between you had 2 coaches that were in over their heads and the facilities made it near impossible for either one to recruit.

and how's that supposed to change when the best guys go somewhere else? My guess is it isn't. You have to play it out, you can't really make your decisions on what you "think" "might" happen.... but if I were guessing, I would guess that Iowa is going to struggle to even be a bubble program after you lose literally the 2 best players to come out of the state in back to back seasons. I hope I am wrong, but it's hard to say differently or project differently at this point.
This one hurts but I’ll try to give you the optimist side. I’m still holding out hope that we can land Ogundele, who I think has a ton of potential himself. Overall Fran has been pretty good at identifying and landing quality forwards since he’s been here.

Losing Carton definitely hurt and in my opinion probably will sting more than Foster, however Fran MIGHT have found another under the radar guy in Toussaint.

I like our current freshman group with Toussaint, McCaffery, and CJF (RS). I think they all have bright futures. Everyone is down on Nunge but I still think he will be a quality piece over the next few years.

I agree Fran doesn’t have much room for error, but if we can have a quality season this year and get back to the dance I think it will alleviate some concerns.

"He has aspirations to go the NBA. We saw Iowa State definitely had a few more recent successes with that. So, I think that would be one piece to the puzzle."

I mean...sure. Nader and Niang play like 10 minutes a game, and BDJ got himself killed trying to break into his ex-GF's apartment to beat her up. Congrats Basketball School!

This one hurts but I’ll try to give you the optimist side. I’m still holding out hope that we can land Ogundele, who I think has a ton of potential himself. Overall Fran has been pretty good at identifying and landing quality forwards since he’s been here.

Losing Carton definitely hurt and in my opinion probably will sting more than Foster, however Fran MIGHT have found another under the radar guy in Toussaint.

I like our current freshman group with Toussaint, McCaffery, and CJF (RS). I think they all have bright futures. Everyone is down on Nunge but I still think he will be a quality piece over the next few years.

I agree Fran doesn’t have much room for error, but if we can have a quality season this year and get back to the dance I think it will alleviate some concerns.

You are definitely the optimistic one, when did @InGoodCo hack your account? :)

I think next year, assuming Wieskamp stays, Iowa will be really solid. However I don't think Wieskamp stays for his Senior year and so that next season looks really bleak.

I am kind of in your same place over all. I definitely haven't given up on Nunge. Not at all. I still have very high hopes for him as he gets more PT. I am pretty excited for this years team. I am also not saying that it can't be done. Fran might be just fine and so might Iowa basketball. I just think, man it would seem that it would be that much finer with those 2 pieces. I appreciate the positive outlook and you know me, I am a positive outlook kind of guy...but these 2 going somewhere else is just the kind of kick i needed to possibly sway the other way. At least before that my stance was "well, if Fran can lock down Iowa (like he did his first several seasons) we are always going to be pretty decent"....now I don't really have that to hold onto. It's hard to be positive right now.

Oh well, they are wearing script golds tonight it appears, so there's that.

I mean...sure. Nader and Niang play like 10 minutes a game, and BDJ got himself killed trying to break into his ex-GF's apartment to beat her up. Congrats Basketball School!

Don't forget that Naz Long and Chris Babb maybe sat at the end of the bench in an NBA game once. That's 100x better than playing in the G league like Uthoff and Jok.

I think next year, assuming Wieskamp stays, Iowa will be really solid. However I don't think Wieskamp stays for his Senior year and so that next season looks really bleak.

I am often times critical of Iowa sports, I typically don't do it in a fashion that isn't mature. Losing these 2 recruits the past 2 seasons has really soured my opinion on Fran. I am still pulling for him. I want him to be the coach at Iowa for as long as he can be. I love the culture he's built and I love his style and play. No one wants him to be more successful then I do. I just don't know how reasonable that expectation is when you lose the best kids in the state. Period. I hope I am wrong. I want Iowa to be just fine... i just don't know that it will be.

Unless ISU changes the way they play on offense, I actually don't think he'll start next year. It's possible they do though - Prohm has always been a guy that is a grindball, great defense guy at heart, and with Conditt and Foster on the court at the same time it could be an elite shotblocking team. But again, we won't know how good he actually is until he steps foot on campus and starts real practices with other players.

I don’t know I guess I was just kind of prepared for this. The whole recruitment was kind of interesting.

I would agree we really need Joe to stay next year and that could be a quality season.

I’m not convinced we would be horrible on paper for 2021:

PG- Toussaint / McCaffery / Ulis
SG- Fredrick / Ulis / Perkins
SF- McCaffery / McCaffery/ Murray / Murray
PF- Nunge / McCaffery / Murray / Murray
C- Ogundele? / Nunge

Assuming guys continue to improve that team could be decent. Plus that doesn’t include any 2021 recruits. Peyton Sandfort from Waukee is one to keep an eye on. Already has offers from Iowa, Minny, and Utah. Think he projects as a slightly less athletic Wieskamp, but definitely a sharpshooter.

I am often times critical of Iowa sports, I typically don't do it in a fashion that isn't mature. Losing these 2 recruits the past 2 seasons has really soured my opinion on Fran. I am still pulling for him. I want him to be the coach at Iowa for as long as he can be. I love the culture he's built and I love his style and play. No one wants him to be more successful then I do. I just don't know how reasonable that expectation is when you lose the best kids in the state. Period. I hope I am wrong. I want Iowa to be just fine... i just don't know that it will be.

Yeah I completely agree with you. One of Fran's major pluses was that he was able to lock down the in-state kids. Except for Wieskamp that is no longer the case. And I can't say I blame any of the kids either.

Sadly it seems like the 2015-16 season was the pinnacle for Fran at Iowa and that season fizzled out before we could even blink an eye.

Fran is beyond lucky that Wieskamp grew up a huge Iowa fan. The team last year and this year without him is probably really bad.

Latest posts