Xavier Foster Announcement

I mean...sure. Nader and Niang play like 10 minutes a game, and BDJ got himself killed trying to break into his ex-GF's apartment to beat her up. Congrats Basketball School!

And Matt Thomas. And Deonte Burton. And THT. And Monte Morris. And Shayok. Just to be clear.

I am often times critical of Iowa sports, I typically don't do it in a fashion that isn't mature. Losing these 2 recruits the past 2 seasons has really soured my opinion on Fran. I am still pulling for him. I want him to be the coach at Iowa for as long as he can be. I love the culture he's built and I love his style and play. No one wants him to be more successful then I do. I just don't know how reasonable that expectation is when you lose the best kids in the state. Period. I hope I am wrong. I want Iowa to be just fine... i just don't know that it will be.

I'm with you. I've said before and recently that until Iowa upgrades its recruiting, we've seen the best that Fran has to offer. Just my opinion of course. It doesn't look like that's about to change, unfortunately.

I don’t know I guess I was just kind of prepared for this. The whole recruitment was kind of interesting.

I would agree we really need Joe to stay next year and that could be a quality season.

I’m not convinced we would be horrible on paper for 2021:

PG- Toussaint / McCaffery / Ulis
SG- Fredrick / Ulis / Perkins
SF- McCaffery / McCaffery/ Murray / Murray
PF- Nunge / McCaffery / Murray / Murray
C- Ogundele? / Nunge

Assuming guys continue to improve that team could be decent. Plus that doesn’t include any 2021 recruits. Peyton Sandfort from Waukee is one to keep an eye on. Already has offers from Iowa, Minny, and Utah. Think he projects as a slightly less athletic Wieskamp, but definitely a sharpshooter.
Unless dudes develop WAY more than they usually do under Fran, that's a roster of an eight-win B1G team. MAX. It might not be a top-2 MVC roster.

I don’t know I guess I was just kind of prepared for this. The whole recruitment was kind of interesting.

I would agree we really need Joe to stay next year and that could be a quality season.

I’m not convinced we would be horrible on paper for 2021:

PG- Toussaint / McCaffery / Ulis
SG- Fredrick / Ulis / Perkins
SF- McCaffery / McCaffery/ Murray / Murray
PF- Nunge / McCaffery / Murray / Murray
C- Ogundele? / Nunge

Assuming guys continue to improve that team could be decent. Plus that doesn’t include any 2021 recruits. Peyton Sandfort from Waukee is one to keep an eye on. Already has offers from Iowa, Minny, and Utah. Think he projects as a slightly less athletic Wieskamp, but definitely a sharpshooter.

I just look at that roster and don't see a scorer like a Uthoff, Bohannon, Wieskamp, Jok. A guy I want to have the ball in their hands at crunch time. Doesn't mean CJ or Ulis or Nunge won't be that guy 2 years from now, but at this point I don't see it.

I am often times critical of Iowa sports, I typically don't do it in a fashion that isn't mature. Losing these 2 recruits the past 2 seasons has really soured my opinion on Fran. I am still pulling for him. I want him to be the coach at Iowa for as long as he can be. I love the culture he's built and I love his style and play. No one wants him to be more successful then I do. I just don't know how reasonable that expectation is when you lose the best kids in the state. Period. I hope I am wrong. I want Iowa to be just fine... i just don't know that it will be.
People can call it racist if they want, but a roster completely full of bean pole white kids from the tri-state area is not and never will be a force in the Big Ten. Like how does that even happen? Honest question.

Fran has to see that this is the biggest group of Opie Taylors that’s ever stepped on a B1G court since the 60s. Does he seriously think he’s gonna somehow defy all odds with these dudes?

This has definitely been a slow burn and we’ve seen the recruiting slide down into the hole that we hope BF will avoid in football over the next decade or so. Say what you will about Dolph’s hot mike but that guy was spot fucking on. Wouldn’t you at some point just go, “Well shit, man...I guess we’ll just put the scholarship money in the bank and roll with what we got...”

I’ve always been on Fran’s side but he’s worn thin on me for sure.

And Matt Thomas. And Deonte Burton. And THT. And Monte Morris. And Shayok. Just to be clear.

Morris was a definite miss on my part. Burton and Shayok were transfers and didn't come to ISU out of high school to develop as Xavier will be so I wouldn't count that. Hell even Nader was a transfer.

People can call it racist if they want, but a roster completely full of bean pole white kids from the tri-state area is not and never will be a force in the Big Ten. Like how does that even happen? Honest question.

Fran has to see that this is the biggest group of Opie Taylors that’s ever stepped on a B1G court since the 60s. Does he seriously think he’s gonna somehow defy all odds with these dudes?

This has definitely been a slow burn and we’ve seen the recruiting slide down into the hole that we hope BF will avoid in football over the next decade or so. Say what you will about Dolph’s hot mike but that guy was spot fucking on. Wouldn’t you at some point just go, “Well shit, man...I guess we’ll just put the scholarship money in the bank and roll with what we got...”

There's a reason the NBA is 75% black and it ain't because of affirmative action.

I just look at that roster and don't see a scorer like a Uthoff, Bohannon, Wieskamp, Jok. A guy I want to have the ball in their hands at crunch time. Doesn't mean CJ or Ulis or Nunge won't be that guy 2 years from now, but at this point I don't see it.
I actually thought about that, but I really don’t think scoring will ever be a huge issue for an Iowa Fran team. I actually would like to Nunge slide down to center I think that would be his best spot eventually. I think that team could be fairly athletic. This 2020 class certainly looks bleak so need at least one of these guys to be a diamond in the rough. But you never know, Iowa could somehow land a 4* guy in the 2021 class ready to make an instant impact as well.

It's not racist to note the obvious, and anyone who doesn't see this is fooling themselves.

I'm just guessing but given the obvious demographic differences between a lot of the top recruits and our typical basketball roster, how well some of those recruits relate to our players compared to those at other schools. Relationships matter.

Does anyone think that there isn't a culture difference between demographics? I sure do. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, mind you, but I think it just is. Not that people of different races can't get along and be friends, they obviously can. But I have to wonder if it's a factor, even subconsciously. No, I'm not playing the race card here.. I just think people tend to naturally gravitate towards their own. I see it all the time in the workplace. It may be a tie breaker if nothing else.

Don't forget that Naz Long and Chris Babb maybe sat at the end of the bench in an NBA game once. That's 100x better than playing in the G league like Uthoff and Jok.

Really is it? Plenty of no names get a few minutes in regular season and it never amounts to anything.

I don't think Fran failed in developing these players. They just don't have a ceiling that NBA scouts are looking for.

If he has the talent, Xavier would have caught the attention of scouts easily at any P5 school. I don't think its the only factor that played into his decision.

I'm just guessing but given the obvious demographic differences between a lot of the top recruits and our typical basketball roster, how well some of those recruits relate to our players that compared to those at other schools. Relationships matter.

And last I checked, Ames does not exactly look like the United Nations. Neither does Cedar Falls or Des Moines. It certainly isn't a state problem. So what is it?

And last I checked, Ames does not exactly look like the United Nations. Neither does Cedar Falls or Des Moines. It certainly isn't a state problem. So what is it?

I'm talking about their team, the guys he would be playing with and hanging out with for four years. Not the city itself.

Or maybe it's another issue.. I don't know. Seems like lots of players come to visit Iowa, "enjoy their visit", etc. etc. And then commit elsewhere. Do we need to get Rick Pitino showing these guys around town or what?

I actually thought about that, but I really don’t think scoring will ever be a huge issue for an Iowa Fran team. I actually would like to Nunge slide down to center I think that would be his best spot eventually. I think that team could be fairly athletic. This 2020 class certainly looks bleak so need at least one of these guys to be a diamond in the rough. But you never know, Iowa could somehow land a 4* guy in the 2021 class ready to make an instant impact as well.

Well to be fair to Fran, he should have playing time to sell in the future, especially to the bigs. Fran has been pretty successful in landing bigger named bigs in the past when he's had playing time to sell (Cook, Garza, Woodbury, etc).

Moving forward, any idea on Ogundele or Sibley?

We’ll see you all at Carver tonight supporting your Iowa Hawkeyes.

Iowa had Moss and Tyler Cook leave early, they were both African American. Iowa's 2020 class has 4 African American kids committed. I really don't think it has anything to do with black and white. It has more to do with are they good enough to play basketball.

Iowa had Moss and Tyler Cook leave early, they were both African American. Iowa's 2020 class has 4 African American kids committed. I really don't think it has anything to do with black and white. It has more to do with are they good enough to play basketball.

While I make jokes about this kinda stuff for laughs, its stupid and ridiculous when people use it seriously to attack Fran.

Latest posts