Worst ISU team since.....?

I'm just repeating what Ferentz said at the presser. Asked if this was the best Paul R coached team at ISU, he said yes. He could have said he didn't know or something along those lines... he's VERY good at not answering questions he doesn't' want to answer, very good at that.

Sort of. Here's the quote:
MEDIA: "Coach Rhoads said this is the best team he's had at Iowa State. Would you agree with that?"
​COACH FERENTZ: "I would. They're third year into the program, certainly. A lot of good players back that have played well for them. You know, they've had a lot of good moments. So we're going over there expecting a real tough game. ​We know we have a lot of work right now too, so it's going to be a real test for us."

There is no way he can respond "I don't know" to that question without disrespecting Paul Rhoads. Plus everyone expects coachspeak in response to a question like this anyway, and that's what we got. Much ado about nothing.

Northern Iowa is a darn fine team. It's not like Iowa hasn't been involved in close games with UNI.

As an Iowa State fan already pointed out ... ISU had a lot of starters or significant contributors out. Here's a sampling ...

- Darks (starting WR)
- Hicks (starting OG)
- Osmele - played some but has a dinged ankle (starting LT)
- "Dutch" Rumpelhamer - played a few snaps but not much (starting DT)
- Maggitt - played a quarter and now is out for the year (starting DE)
- Taufoou (in competition for starting LB spot)
- Laing (2nd string DT)

And, in addition to the above, they have a few other contributers who are dinged. Here are a few examples:

- Reynolds (starting WR) - broken toe
- Benton (starting SS) - stinger

Anyhow, Iowa will face a different ISU team this Saturday. I certainly hope that our guys are up to the challenge. I suspect that they are!

Don't forget Tenn Tech was out their best defender and tackler from last season (Marty Jones) - only played one snap. They were without their starting RB, who tweaked his ankle first play of the game. They were without one of their top WRs too, ankle. Iowa played an undermanned FCS team last week.

Sort of. Here's the quote:

There is no way he can respond "I don't know" to that question without disrespecting Paul Rhoads. Plus everyone expects coachspeak in response to a question like this anyway, and that's what we got. Much ado about nothing.

Coachspeak would have been, "I don't know if his best team, but we are going to play an awfully good football team in Ames this Saturday."

Instead, KF agreed with the question and even stated "certainly" in his response.

So, yeah, I think KF thinks this is the best team Paul has had.

Wait, how is Rhoads taking the team in the wrong direction? He has more wins in 2 years as coach (12) than we had the previous three years (9). And he has done it against stiffer competition. Program definitely appears to be heading in the right direction.
This is only a guess, but when Deace says the program is heading in the wrong direction, maybe he is looking at ISU's roster now in comparison to where it was a couple of years ago and he believes there is a significant drop-off in talent.

I have no idea on whether or not that is accurate, but it could be what he is implying.

Coachspeak would have been, "I don't know if his best team, but we are going to play an awfully good football team in Ames this Saturday."

Instead, KF agreed with the question and even stated "certainly" in his response.

you are reaching here. he says isu has their best team every year, every time he gets asked.

he honestly has no idea. based on what? watching the internet feed from the UNI game?

so since he doesn't know, he is going to take the high road. like he does and like he instructs his players to do.

As always, this game comes down to Iowa not turning the ball over in the 1st quarter and having it result in an ISU TD. No turnovers for points early on and its a rout.

you are reaching here. he says isu has their best team every year, every time he gets asked.

he honestly has no idea. based on what? watching the internet feed from the UNI game?

so since he doesn't know, he is going to take the high road. like he does and like he instructs his players to do.
He says ISU has their best team every year? Really?

Hmm... must have missed that here.
Ferentz Presser Transcript | Hawkeye Nation
Kirk Ferentz Press Conference: 09/09/09 | Hawkeye Nation

And coaches don't scout other teams off Internet feeds - you don't think Kirk has had ISU tape since Sunday and hasn't been studying it with his staff?

An answer like that would end up on the ISU bulletin boards.

KF answer that question the only way he could. He wants his players/staff to believe it as well. Basic coaching 101 is getting your team to respect your opponent and not go into a game over confident.

He says ISU has their best team every year? Really?

Hmm... must have missed that here.
Ferentz Presser Transcript | Hawkeye Nation
Kirk Ferentz Press Conference: 09/09/09 | Hawkeye Nation

And coaches don't scout other teams off Internet feeds - you don't think Kirk has had ISU tape since Sunday and hasn't been studying it with his staff?

Was he ever asked about the coach saying it was the best team ever?

It is not like KF offered this up without being prompted, but as others have said, once it is out there he just went along with it.

Should we beat ISU? Absolutley! However I would not judge them based on a first game against UNI. I think we all know a win is a win. In 09 after that first game I thought there was now way in hell we would beat ISU the next week, but the ball started rolling. The hawks just need to match the emotion ISU will bring and shut them down right from the start. We have seen the last few outings if Iowa jumps out early ISU folds by halftime. However, if we let them hang around and they get some confidence it could be ugly.

Yep my bad, I guess I wasn't able to change that one before anybody noticed. :D

No problem dude. I guess your brain is is 10 teams is more than 9 teams...conference wise that is.. Minus OU, TT, UT, OKIE st and Mizzou to the sec then KSU and Kansas to the big east...

GEEE WHIZ the math is pretty telling. Big 12 -1 (nebby) then minus a&M...then minus the other 4 to PAC then Minus Mizzou.. ... then minus the Kansas kids...

Who does that leave???? HMMM who pray tell. SUCKS to be YOU! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.. I completely understand y'all's inferiority complex.

BTW your coach wants you to be a season ticket horder.

ISU is bad this year. If Iowa doesn't win you can probably just look forward to basketball season. ISU wont win many games at all.

Not enough talent at skill positions. Too little depth on both lines. New QB. As much as I hope Im wrong, there is too many injuries and lack of talent to win much this year.

If I was an Iowa fan... anything less than a 2 score win would be completely depressing.

I really hope for ISU's sake Im wrong.

Was he ever asked about the coach saying it was the best team ever?

It is not like KF offered this up without being prompted, but as others have said, once it is out there he just went along with it.
Not that I recall, but I'm not the one stating that Ferentz says ISU has their best team every year. :)

Do I personally think this year's ISU team is the best in the last 3 years? I'm not sure, neither of the previous two years' teams were all that great either.

Not that I recall, but I'm not the one stating that Ferentz says ISU has their best team every year. :)

Do I personally think this year's ISU team is the best in the last 3 years? I'm not sure, neither of the previous two years' teams were all that great either.

When Bret Myers was a senior, I thought that was their best team they've had in a while. Although going up to Ames always makes a me a tad nervous. It's still not an excuse to lose.

The running backs in '07 with seniors Albert Young, Damien Sims and Tom Busch at FB is superior to the Iowa backfied we have now.

Yes, but WR, tight end, the offensive line, and QB were not. That being said, it's hard to say this current group of freshman/sophomore running backs is inferior to Sims/Young, both of whom were seniors in 2007.

When Bret Myers was a senior, I thought that was their best team they've had in a while. Although going up to Ames always makes a me a tad nervous. It's still not an excuse to lose.

The 07 team had a decent defense. Ranked about middle of the pack nationally. Had seniors that were draft picks at DT and LB, and free agent LB as well. The offense was pretty bad. Not epic bad, but inconsistent and could not run the ball well.

Brett Myer's bad games over-rode his good ones that season.

I didn't see any of the ISU game last week, but I know this:

(1) You can be a pretty good team and still barely squeek out a home win against UNI.

(2) The better team does not always win.

Iowa will need to play well to win Saturday.

This.

Latest posts