Worst ISU team since.....?

The 07 team had a decent defense. Ranked about middle of the pack nationally. Had seniors that were draft picks at DT and LB, and free agent LB as well. The offense was pretty bad. Not epic bad, but inconsistent and could not run the ball well.

Brett Myer's bad games over-rode his good ones that season.

right now, would you take brett meyer as a senior, or rusty jantz about to start his second game for this upcoming iowa game?

I'm just repeating what Ferentz said at the presser.
Asked if this was the best Paul R coached team at ISU, he said yes. He could have said he didn't know or something along those lines... he's VERY good at not answering questions he doesn't' want to answer, very good at that.

KF is good at deflecting questions about his own team, he loves to praise the other team.

KF is not going to give any other answer other than the most polite and complimentary one. He is not going to disagree with Rhoads statement about his own team.

Don't forget Tenn Tech was out their best defender and tackler from last season (Marty Jones) - only played one snap. They were without their starting RB, who tweaked his ankle first play of the game. They were without one of their top WRs too, ankle. Iowa played an undermanned FCS team last week.

Marty Jones is a free safety. If Jones would have been racking up a lot of tackles against Iowa ... then they most certainly would have been in plenty of trouble. Furthermore, given the bad weather, Iowa wasn't even looking to go too long anyhow. Thus, having Jones back there possibly could have prevented McNutt's big TD reception ... but even that would be a stretch.

As for their RB ... Urbano was a transfer from Georgia Southern. The kid probably wasn't too bad ... but excluding his opening big run, he was just averaging 2.5 yards per carry. Given that Gay had more experience in their system and given how Gay ended up faring ... I doubt that they had much drop-off with Urbano getting dinged.

All in all ... the injuries that you spoke of were just part of the game. Tennesse Tech took a little hit with regard to their depth ... however, I doubt that they were much more depleted relative to Iowa than they would have been had those guys remained healthy.

In contrast, ISU was arguably far more undermanned in their game against UNI.

What I find to be an intriguing question is how much better manned would Iowa have been had Getz, C. Davis, N. MacMillan, and B. Scherff all been healthy? If Getz had been healthy throughout fall camp ... then we possibly would have seen less drop-off after Nielsen was done for the day. Maybe Carl Davis would have helped the DL to better plug some of those interior runs.

Had McCall not broken his ankle ... how much more badly would Iowa have killed Tennessee Tech? How much more potent would our O have been against ISU this Saturday?

KF is good at deflecting questions about his own team, he loves to praise the other team.

KF is not going to give any other answer other than the most polite and complimentary one. He is not going to disagree with Rhoads statement about his own team.

This is a John Hayden Fry tactic he picked up.

This x1,000.

Much obliged. Not so much fer the props but fer the fact that I am increasin' my dang post count by 1 after replyin'...oh and I have never gotten a "x 1000" in my dang internet life and fer that I am grateful. Now let's get out there and smear cyclone poo on their dang field...wait, do cyclone's poo? I do not recall.

ok, you named one area that might have been better. given we have no fullback right now, i'll give this one to you. both of those guys you mentioned (young/sims) combined for 105 yards of rushing that day, and Christiansen completed 12 passes. I'm guessing if you can't run the ball and can't throw the ball that is not a good Iowa football combination v. anyone.

the biggest difference is that Ames had Brett Meyer, who I think was a senior at the time. They now have a juco with one career start.

interesting that Iowa had no turnovers that day and Ames only had one.

of course, they had that big play to put them in position for that last FG.

any game is won/loss in general at the LOS and i think we have the advantage on both fronts, but for sure OL.

imported_ankle23 -

I'm sure that PJHawk was just pointing out that you had previously written an erroneous fact in an earlier post. Of course, the bigger picture of your point was certainly correct ... Iowa's O truly did suck in '07. Apart from the trio of Young, Sims, and Busch ... that was one of the least experienced Os, across the board, that I have witnessed at Iowa.

However, the big issues in that game was that Iowa's DL dropped the ball in their match-up against ISU's OL ... a match-up that they should have won. They obviously realized that ... because after sucking in the first half, they ended up playing much better in the 2nd half.

Of course, one of the bigger issues was that Iowa's safety play wasn't overly stellar in '07 ... Dalton was particularly exploitable in coverage. Furthermore, Klink was a bit of a liability in coverage too.

of course. not sure why SS is debating this.

Latest posts