Worst ISU team since.....?

After listening to Deace on the radio, he makes it sound as if ISU is absolutely turrible, with "systemic issues" not correctable with current players. I didn't see the game, but that sounds intetresting.

I am siding with Miller and not falling into the trap. After 2005 and 2007, I will never chalk this up as a win again.

This. That's why I don't get so cocky, like some people, because anything can happen.

The injury/suspension excuse could be valid. We’re talking about several starters out.

Both the starting and backup NT were out. We started a converted DE who weighs 250 at NT. That won’t be the case this time.
Starting RG was out. Starting LT (and maybe best offensive player) was lost halfway through the game to a tweaked ankle.
Lost starting nickelback to idiocy but will be back.
Starting MLB was out when running 3 LB set.
Starting WR was out.
Starting SS was out about halfway through the game.

Regardless ISU has never been a deep enough team to just absorb that many guys being gone that they expect to log major snaps, especially along the lines. How well the guys are able to go that are coming back just a little banged up are able to play will likely determine how well ISU can play in this game. I am currently HOPING that Jantz calmed down throughout the game and that we’ll see mostly last two drives Jantz as opposed to shot-put throw Jantz.

I think ISU is better than what they showed, and I think there are some serious personel issues that will be corrected just by having some guys get a little healther/back from suspension. Did Steve even manage to go to the game? I’d be shocked if he did, and so he really wouldn’t have quite the perspective if he didn’t.

Wait, how is Rhoads taking the team in the wrong direction? He has more wins in 2 years as coach (12) than we had the previous three years (9). And he has done it against stiffer competition. Program definitely appears to be heading in the right direction.

I won't argue though. We looked bad on Saturday night and anyone not wearing ISU glasses could see that. Our offensive line was poor and our front 4 on defense got no push. The only thing that makes me feel good is that we had so many starters out (7-8) and all but one of them will be back for this game. If Rump and KO are healthy, that instantly makes us better. Good enough? I have my doubts.

I am a Steele Jantz fan. I like his feet in the pocket. He is like a faster Drew Tate imo. Maybe not quite as quick side to side but he will keep plays alive and when he goes straight ahead he is faster. And he has an arm. He just needs to bring it down. Overthrew some open WR's

I went with a neighbor to the UNI game. Deace is on track. ISU sucks bad. If we don't walk away with a 50 point spankin it will be a disappointment. ISU looked like a mediocre HS team. Truly pathetic.

If u remember back to 09 we had our hands full with UNI also so don't think it's going to be really really easy...

you don't have to listen to deace to figure out that roadhs is taking the team in one direction, and that is not up.

this is not the team that isu had in '05 or in '07. remember '05. Tate out the first series. back up didn't get the job done. also, that '05 team was good, had good talent. '07. didn't we have jake C? we can stop right there with the analysis.

iowa will bury the clownz along the lines of scrimmage.
You need to get your head checked. Lol really? You think Rhoads has taken the ISU program down? Its not going down when you go 7-6 and 5-7 after the first two years after going 3-9 and 2-10 the two years before Rhoads arrived. Also as far as that 2005 game there is no other way to put it. That ISU team just flat out beat that Iowa team and they were beating Iowa when Tate was playing in the 1st quarter. Even if Tate didn't get knocked out ISU still would have won that game. This was also a week after we nearly lost to Illinois State. As far as the 2007 game ISU truly did get lucky. That was a terrible ISU team and Iowa came into Ames flat and probably over confident. After Iowa woke up in the 2nd half they came back but ISU was just barely able to hang on after the 12-0 halftime lead. As far as Saturday goes I am picking Iowa to win but really anything can happened and we all learned very little from week 1.

The running backs in '07 with seniors Albert Young, Damien Sims and Tom Busch at FB is superior to the Iowa backfied we have now.

ok, you named one area that might have been better. given we have no fullback right now, i'll give this one to you. both of those guys you mentioned (young/sims) combined for 105 yards of rushing that day, and Christiansen completed 12 passes. I'm guessing if you can't run the ball and can't throw the ball that is not a good Iowa football combination v. anyone.

the biggest difference is that Ames had Brett Meyer, who I think was a senior at the time. They now have a juco with one career start.

interesting that Iowa had no turnovers that day and Ames only had one.

of course, they had that big play to put them in position for that last FG.

any game is won/loss in general at the LOS and i think we have the advantage on both fronts, but for sure OL.

I said a few years ago that year 3 would be the difficult one. He took over Chiziks players in year two, and coached them, this year we start seeing what CPR is putting into the program.

You need to get your head checked. Lol really? You think Rhoads has taken the ISU program down? Its not going down when you go 7-6 and 5-7 after the first two years after going 3-9 and 2-10 the two years before Rhoads arrived. Also as far as that 2005 game there is no other way to put it. That ISU team just flat out beat that Iowa team and they were beating Iowa when Tate was playing in the 1st quarter. Even if Tate didn't get knocked out ISU still would have won that game. This was also a week after we nearly lost to Illinois State. As far as the 2007 game ISU truly did get lucky. That was a terrible ISU team and Iowa came into Ames flat and probably over confident. After Iowa woke up in the 2nd half they came back but ISU was just barely able to hang on after the 12-0 halftime lead. As far as Saturday goes I am picking Iowa to win but really anything can happened and we all learned very little from week 1.

good for you. Roads says this is his best team yet, so he should continue his upward winning cycle. we'll see how much talent is in Ames this year, next year and the year following. I have my opinion, i'm sure you have yours.

and you are right - the 2005 edition of the cyclones had some good talent on it. no doubt about that. I don't think there is anywhere near the talent on this curent isu team.

one thing is for sure - time will tell.

How is the ISU team going in the wrong direction? Well, 5 is less than 7 and I would be surprised if you got it to 5 wins this year. Or are we talking moral victories? Or some other clown standard that I am unaware of?

The 7 wins were against a soft, soft schedule. The 5 wins were against a really tough schedule. IMO this year's schedule is even tougher. There are other factors than the total number of wins. If there weren't Boise State should play in the NC game virtually every season.

How is the ISU team going in the wrong direction? Well, 5 is less than 7 and I would be surprised if you got it to 5 wins this year. Or are we talking moral victories? Or some other clown standard that I am unaware of?
Yep thats how you have to gauge it, just wins. Iowa's program is also going in the wrong direction in your eyes as well I guess. 8 wins is less than 11 wins. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone is going to try to convince you that the program didn't take a step (albeit pretty minor) back last year.
I still don't think that Iowa took much of a step back last year (just in win total). The 2009 team was solid and had a lot of games go their way. The 2010 team just had a lot of tough breaks. That game at Arizona was almost won, they just showed up flat (unfortunate result because Iowa was definately the better team). If that game was in Kinnick like 2009 that would have been won no doubt. Then that 1 point loss to Wisconsin was to a damn good Wisconsin team. As far as the Minnesota game that was the only bad loss.

Last edited:
I still don't think that Iowa took much of a step back last year. The 2009 team was solid and had a lot of games go their way. The 2010 team just had a lot of tough breaks. That game at Arizona was almost won, they just showed up flat (unfortunate result because Iowa was definately the better team). If that game was in Kinnick like 2009 that would have been won no doubt. Then that 1 point loss to Wisconsin was to a damn good Wisconsin team. As far as the Minnesota game that was the only bad loss.

That's because of the foundation of the program. Something that hasn't been built yet by Rhoads.

Any way you slice it last year was a gigantic let down for Iowa.

Latest posts