Woody does it again pulls the hat trick

Bill Laimbeer, the Piston's 6'8" power forward that got rough. Among other things: threw elbows and was an enforcer. Woody is like Laimbeer in that way (there are many ways to be an enforcer). Not the straw man argument of finger poking presented above. Gabe tries to keep opponents out of the lane with his threat of the block and Woody with the threat of his.. poke? Kinda wish Woody would learn how to block more.

An enforcer in hockey, for example, does more that just throw punches, no? He keeps everyone in line 'cause if they don't, some pain may be a comin'.

Last edited:
Fran and the team could really milk this thing. Like, every time starting lineups are announced, when Woody's name is called, have him run out holding his two fingers in a "claw" style. Sort of like Baron von Raschke when he was introduced in the squared circle as a "master of the iron claw".

Put the "fear" into the opponent, make them think twice about attacking Woody's area when they have the ball.

Oh, and in case the above didn't ring with saracasm, I might also add this thing getting overblown a bit. In "real time, it's just a kid reaching/feinting toward the guy with the ball.

It was clearly unintentional he was going for the ball the flagrant 1 against him was a terrible call.
I thought last weeks may have been unintentional, but I really have a hard time believing yesterday's was. I mean I've been watching Iowa b-ball for about 37 yrs and never have seen the coincidence of this happening to the same player this often and consecutively.

I watched the live & replays a few times and I think if you follow Woody's eyes, it looked like he knew what he was doing. It wasn't like he swiped at the ball or face & just went across the eyes, he raised is hand fingers pointing forward & looked like when he was lined up, lunged his hand forward. This is what it looked like to me, at least. He better be careful going forward. I felt bad for Melo. His eye looked horrible for awhile.

Not only not clear at all, but incorrect.

Its face gaurding. Not uncommon at all nor dirty.

face guarding would have one's palm in the face of the player with fingers to the roof. His fingers were pointing to the face.

If you were going to face guard with a sheet of paper, which would be more effective. holding the face of the sheet of paper in front of one's face or turning the paper on edge & holding in front. Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

I want to hear more about lightning1's days as an mvp at the rec center. Has he been enshrined into the intramural HOF yet or is he still active? Clearly he is a baller! With that being said, I think Woody's eye poke was definitely unintentional, albeit coincidental due to the two pokes at Wisconsin. I agree with others he would have to have cat like reflexes to be so accurate as to poke other directly in the eyes. He did not do it the first two years at Iowa, why start now??? I am sure it will be reviewed, I am hard pressed to believe the conference will suspend him, but I think they will talk to him about it. It happens all the time regardless of how much anyone has owned any league, rec ball, noon time nuggets at the "Y", weekend pick up ball, one on one, PS3, PS4, XBox, nintendo or horse with the wife. Basketball is a contact sport, sometimes bad things happen.

I hope the cameraman who tripped Trimble and threw his camera at his face gets a 3 game suspension. That was blatant.

No way I think Woody is doing this on purpose. You'd have to have almost no IQ to think you'd get away with stuff like that with the coverage today. I chalk it up to clumsiness. But get those fingers upright, big guy! Last thing Iowa needs now is for Woody to be less aggressive.

Last edited:
Has he ever had success poking the ball away, ever?? If not, why do it? Unless the feet aren't quick enough? Not watching this one, so is Woody's man moving easily around his defense? Just trying to find motivations....
Boss would not give me a raise today so I poked him... I feel better... Adam Woodbury's Conflict resolution course coming to a campus near you...... The throat punch course is for graduate students only.

stop watching it in slo mo. Watch the camera angle from under the basket at full speed, it was a bang bang play. No way was it intentional.

I hope the cameraman who tripped Trimble and threw his camera at his face gets a 3 game suspension. That was blatant.

No way I think Woody is doing this on purpose. You'd have to have almost no IQ to think you'd get away with stuff like that with the coverage today. I chalk it up to clumsiness. But get those fingers upright, big guy! Last thing Iowa needs now is for Woody to be less aggressive.

Way to compare apples to apples. :rolleyes:

The #Haterz on this board are really scrambling for something to criticize since Iowa started playing well. Like really, who gives a sh*t about the eye poke besides clone fans and butthurt media members?

It's a national story, prominent on ESPN, CBS and elsewhere. Maybe the nation is butthurt.

Fran's "because I said so" dismissal of Dolph also getting national play. Tactically dumb on Fran's part as it just added fuel to the fire, and is completely overshadowing a terrific performance against Maryland.

If you remember Woody have a long wing span in order to defend the court you supposed to put your hand in opponent face. Woody have a long wing span and if opponent porpusely ran into him. Did he do it on purpose? Every basketball camp I was coached to defend by put my hands up and wave my hands up front of opponent's face . How is that flagarant foul?
Every basketball players do it!
Everyone wants pussified basketball.

Last edited:
Boss would not give me a raise today so I poked him... I feel better... Adam Woodbury's Conflict resolution course coming to a campus near you...... The throat punch course is for graduate students only.
You know while Fran defends this to the public, behind the scene he is telling Woodbury to stop F...ing poking people.

If you remember Woody have a long wing span in order to defend the court you supposed to put your hand in opponent face. Woody have a long wing span and if opponent porpusely ran into him. Did he do it on purpose? Every basketball camp I was coached to defend by put my hands up and wave my hands up front of opponent's face . How is that flagarant foul?
Let's face it, Maryland lost the game fair and square . It's simple .

Everyone wants pussified basketball.

You said it, hands up with the palm to the face, not palm down with fingers pointing at eyes & lunging forward. There is a stark difference.

I have never in my life seen a guy stick his hand out towards a player who's dribbling towards him and have his palm out and fingers up when the ball is below his hand.

Latest posts