Will We Have Football in the Fall?

Will we have a football season this fall?

• Season Cancelled

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Games played with no fans

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Games played with some fans

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • Games played as normal

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you're a jerk at all, and I understand difficult decisions need to be made. I just think it would have been a better idea for all of college football on multiple levels to postpone the season until spring. As the result of either a vaccine being available or increased 'herd immunity', literally millions more fans would be in the stands compared to this fall, and the increased revenue would all be received in the same fiscal year as the fall.
That said, if football happens, I think it's unfortunate that the UI can't make one-time accomodations for a once-in-a-hundred year situation for long-time football season ticket holders -- who basically fund their entire athletic program. They easily could have said: if season ticket holders choose not to renew their tickets for one year due to C-19, those seats may be sold to someone else FOR ONE SEASON ONLY, without renewal privileges. And then someone like me would get first shot at those seats the following season. They didn't, and I think that's unfortunate.
Yes, I can try to sell my season tickets, but in effect I forfeit the value of my per-seat I-Club fee, and I seriously doubt demand will be high on the secondary market for tickets in the fall. Like I said, I just think it's unfortunate. (And I'm not an old fart who sits on his hands the entire game -- my seats are in Row 15 behind the opponent's bench and I'm on my feet the entire game yelling loudly, pestering the opposing team, etc.) And not a great way to build fan loyalty.

A vaccine won't be available. Herd immunity won't develop, especially the longer they "delay".

That said, I get what you're saying in terms of being frustrated. But, as fans, we have already lost b-ball season for men and women, wrestling, track & field, baseball, etc. We can't just keep "waiting".

People know the precautions to take, and at some point, we need to trust our instincts along with any precautions schools, venues, teams, and other fans observe.

It DOES suck that you can't seem to have some concession from UI Athletic Department to retain/maintain your seniority because of this. Have you called/written to get more clarity or to seek a solution?

Somebody gets sick they just can't wait to call a lawyer and sue the University for lack of safeguards for fans. It happens here all the time with ski areas. Tickets all have liability releases on them, but the suits still happen. U of I has that in mind.

Somebody gets sick they just can't wait to call a lawyer and sue the University for lack of safeguards for fans. It happens here all the time with ski areas. Tickets all have liability releases on them, but the suits still happen. U of I has that in mind.
Yep, whether it's bats and balls entering the grandstands, flying hockey pucks, loud music at concerts, or getting struck by lightning at a football game the paying customer assumes risk. That's why the disclaimer is on the back of each ticket.

A vaccine won't be available. Herd immunity won't develop, especially the longer they "delay".

That said, I get what you're saying in terms of being frustrated. But, as fans, we have already lost b-ball season for men and women, wrestling, track & field, baseball, etc. We can't just keep "waiting".

People know the precautions to take, and at some point, we need to trust our instincts along with any precautions schools, venues, teams, and other fans observe.

It DOES suck that you can't seem to have some concession from UI Athletic Department to retain/maintain your seniority because of this. Have you called/written to get more clarity or to seek a solution?
I called to get clarity and they said their policy is if I don't renew this year I maintain my "points" for choosing where I sit in future years but lose my current seats if someone else wants them this year.

Agreed that is the conventional wisdom for now. But let's see what happens when 10% or 15% of team members start testing positive for C-19 around Sept. 1. The powers that be are acting like their precautions will prevent the virus from spreading. They won't. It will spread, and THAT's when things will get interesting.

The only way we have any form of a season is if a treatment is available that reduces the severity of the illness. Take it from 20% chance of severe pneumonia to 5%. Basically a strong cold.

This thing is contagious. We all want to believe that young 18-22 year old men are invincible but you don’t know how each body will handle a new virus. Will most be ok, sounds like it. What about the coaching staff tho? Kirk, KOK, Phil Parker all fall into an age group that has struggled with this virus.

i want this season to happen as badly as everyone else. The Iowa offense may actually be good (but we’ve been saying this for years haha), but the health of these players, coaches , and their families outweighs my preference for sports.

This virus has killed the equivalent of The Big House in just three months, with a shutdown. Not all of these people were 75 and fat. These were human beings enjoying their life until they weren’t. They died scared out of their minds, and alone. There hasn’t even been a chance to mourn and hold proper ceremonies. This same fate will happen to many more.

i hope the schools can find a safe way to proceed. We can’t lock down, we can’t hide, but we can’t just throw people into harms way either.

anyway, we’ll see what happens this summer. We’ve got some time to figure stuff out

Yep, whether it's bats and balls entering the grandstands, flying hockey pucks, loud music at concerts, or getting struck by lightning at a football game the paying customer assumes risk. That's why the disclaimer is on the back of each ticket.
That disclaimer does not prevent suits from being filed. They may not win, but they chew up loads of money in legal fees.

The only way we have any form of a season is if a treatment is available that reduces the severity of the illness. Take it from 20% chance of severe pneumonia to 5%. Basically a strong cold.

This thing is contagious. We all want to believe that young 18-22 year old men are invincible but you don’t know how each body will handle a new virus. Will most be ok, sounds like it. What about the coaching staff tho? Kirk, KOK, Phil Parker all fall into an age group that has struggled with this virus.

i want this season to happen as badly as everyone else. The Iowa offense may actually be good (but we’ve been saying this for years haha), but the health of these players, coaches , and their families outweighs my preference for sports.

This virus has killed the equivalent of The Big House in just three months, with a shutdown. Not all of these people were 75 and fat. These were human beings enjoying their life until they weren’t. They died scared out of their minds, and alone. There hasn’t even been a chance to mourn and hold proper ceremonies. This same fate will happen to many more.

i hope the schools can find a safe way to proceed. We can’t lock down, we can’t hide, but we can’t just throw people into harms way either.

anyway, we’ll see what happens this summer. We’ve got some time to figure stuff out
If they decide to play, they won't be doing it for our enjoyment (I agree, that would be wrong) they will be doing it for their own enjoyment. I think that's one thing we all forget sometimes. These players want to play really bad and will be devastated if they can't.

Just to throw this out there, in Springfield, MO, home of Missouri St., who usually plays a P5 team, a hairstylist who was symptomatic, saw 84 clients from May 12 to May 20. One of the stylists co-workers became symptomatic and saw 54 clients.

And look for pictures of the stuff going on at the Lake of the Ozarks. It is like nothing happened. The party is in full force.

Yeah, the 2nd wave is coming.

Last edited:
None of us knows how the situation is going to play out. Scientists still are learning about the virus by the hour. Again, novel = new.

The U of I feels it's safe to bring student-athletes back to campus "voluntarily" as do other schools in the conference and around the country. We will see. It's essentially a science experiment.

And Michigan might not be ready to take part in it. That's a rather large B1G Brand.

This is going to come down to the freedom vs. safety argument. soon. Which makes no sense as our freedoms were very limited and now abused after 9/11.

So you freedom people who happily fly, get your house in order. Sometimes short term, 12-18 month and not a lifetime, are more important than going to wal-mart without a mask.

I called to get clarity and they said their policy is if I don't renew this year I maintain my "points" for choosing where I sit in future years but lose my current seats if someone else wants them this year.

So you can never get those seats back? Are the seats, themselves, that important (i.e., would slight move be okay?). The good news is, you don't lose your "points", I guess. What about having someone go in wth you so you could still go this year, if able? Of course, that could cause a bit of an argument!

BTW, Kirk Ferentz turns 65 on Aug. 1. Ken O'Keefe will be 67 on Aug. 18.

I turn 58 on 7/31. I'm KFs version of "John the Baptist". My luck, I'll prolly have my head served on a platter because I get all judgmental when some politician has a 15-year old hottie "dancing" for him at a convention.

Agreed that is the conventional wisdom for now. But let's see what happens when 10% or 15% of team members start testing positive for C-19 around Sept. 1. The powers that be are acting like their precautions will prevent the virus from spreading. They won't. It will spread, and THAT's when things will get interesting.

If that many get it, there's obviously a problem. But...if all the precautions are taken and followed, and it still comes in at 15%, we don't EVEN understand what a problem we have, because at that point I'd have to believe we're talking more along the lines of "bio-weapon" than we are mere "cold/flu virus". Or to put it better, we're talking about a "weaponized" virus.

This is going to come down to the freedom vs. safety argument. soon. Which makes no sense as our freedoms were very limited and now abused after 9/11.

So you freedom people who happily fly, get your house in order. Sometimes short term, 12-18 month and not a lifetime, are more important than going to wal-mart without a mask.

People miss the mark on that issue, anyway. They think "freedom" means going anywhere, and doing anything, that they want with no regard for others and/or the greater public. If Wal-Mart wants to require masks, they can do it. If your local bar wants to require masks, they can do it. CDC guidelines, local ordinances, whatever, most will either be ignored or, in the case of ordinances/laws, overturned by a court. But what a court will NOT overturn, or even debate, is the right of a business to require masks, CDC guidelines or no CDC guidelines.

People confuse "rights" a little too often these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.