Will We Have Football in the Fall?

Will we have a football season this fall?

• Season Cancelled

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Games played with no fans

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Games played with some fans

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • Games played as normal

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, KF said awhile back ago that this is how it was going to be, starting practice the beginning of June. I'd say he nailed it.

LOL. Yes, violent outside the cockpit too....
Rule of thumb. Never block another car all the way down to the infield.

It makes them a little mad, especially when the checkered flag is on the line.

Cale had the faster car. Donnie needed to concede it and try to get him in the final turn. Richard Petty won countless races with that move.

What do you do? My office never closed. I have had a ton of calls where people have kids screaming in the background. I'm doing a deal opposite folks in NYC. My guess is everyone there who has a little spawn and decided to stay in the City because they're too cool to move to the suburbs is going to be rethinking that really soon, if they haven't already. The Germ may save America's suburbs. Funny how stuff like that works.

And all those refurbed multi-story multi-use buildings they are doing in downtowns, where the condos are above and the stores/restaurants are below. Of course those are probably younger folks buying those so maybe they don't care about community living and virus spread.

Rule of thumb. Never block another car all the way down to the infield.

It makes them a little mad, especially when the checkered flag is on the line.

Cale had the faster car. Donnie needed to concede it and try to get him in the final turn. Richard Petty won countless races with that move.

And to think how much less safety they had built in back then and they would just take it out on each other on the track.

What do you do? My office never closed. I have had a ton of calls where people have kids screaming in the background. I'm doing a deal opposite folks in NYC. My guess is everyone there who has a little spawn and decided to stay in the City because they're too cool to move to the suburbs is going to be rethinking that really soon, if they haven't already. The Germ may save America's suburbs. Funny how stuff like that works.
I'm in banking in Iowa City, we aren't currently open to the public anywhere.

I have no doubt about the required talent and physical shape the drivers are in, I just find it boring to watch as I'm sure plenty of other people would find some e-sports I watch boring. I bet attending a race would be fun as hell though.

With no actual sports on some e-sports have given me a little bit of entertainment at least!

I am not a big racing fan, but living in Florida, I certainly know a bunch. I have been to Daytona for both the 500 and the Whatever-It's-Called-This-Year 400 when they still ran it in July. Absolutely brutal hot, but the bikini talent was exceptional. I wasn't expecting that at NASCAR, I fully expected beer bellies for ALL guys AND gals.

If you read my story on the Iowa parents and watch the video of Justin Britt's parents at the bottom of the story, Iowa football players are being told the plan is for them coming back on June 8, if not before. Iowa just isn't ready to announce it publicly.

Keep your fingers crossed. If all goes well, we should have some football in the fall. Now we'll see about allowing fans in the stadiums and how many, if any.

As a long-time season ticket holder and a 61 yr old man with a pre-existing condition, I'm really disappointed to see schools moving toward a fall football season. Apparently if I choose not to renew my season tickets this year because I don't want to risk my life prior to a vaccine being released, I will lose my seat and the friends I've made who sit around me for years. Very unfortunate, and not a great way to build fan loyalty during a time of declining fan attendance. And totally unnecessary when a spring season would bring in more revenue during the same fiscal year.

As a long-time season ticket holder and a 61 yr old man with a pre-existing condition, I'm really disappointed to see schools moving toward a fall football season. Apparently if I choose not to renew my season tickets this year because I don't want to risk my life prior to a vaccine being released, I will lose my seat and the friends I've made who sit around me for years. Very unfortunate, and not a great way to build fan loyalty during a time of declining fan attendance. And totally unnecessary when a spring season would bring in more revenue during the same fiscal year.
Is this what the ticket office has told you? Or someone else?

I sympathize with your situation and this is going to come across bad, for that I am sorry. But do you really think that the university should hold off playing football because of a handful of season ticket holders that may not be able to renew due to their personal risks? With the exception of maybe basketball football pretty much funds the rest of the athletic department, these schools would lose millions if they were unable to play. The attendance at Kinnick has more to do with how the team performs than fan loyalty. The rest of college football is moving forward, would you want the Iowa program to forfeit the season because they are worried about the fan loyalty?

Having said that, and coming across as a jerk, you still have the option to renew even if you cannot personally attend the games. Chances are there will be very limited tickets sold and because you are a loyal season ticket holder you will likely have priority over the rest of us fans, which you have earned. You could always renew and then sell whatever tickets you cannot use, they will probably command a premium on the secondary market.

I sympathize with your situation and this is going to come across bad, for that I am sorry. But do you really think that the university should hold off playing football because of a handful of season ticket holders that may not be able to renew due to their personal risks? With the exception of maybe basketball football pretty much funds the rest of the athletic department, these schools would lose millions if they were unable to play. The attendance at Kinnick has more to do with how the team performs than fan loyalty. The rest of college football is moving forward, would you want the Iowa program to forfeit the season because they are worried about the fan loyalty?

Having said that, and coming across as a jerk, you still have the option to renew even if you cannot personally attend the games. Chances are there will be very limited tickets sold and because you are a loyal season ticket holder you will likely have priority over the rest of us fans, which you have earned. You could always renew and then sell whatever tickets you cannot use, they will probably command a premium on the secondary market.

No they have to move forward. And everyone should understand that.

It sucks for many. My father hasn't been able to attend a game in Kinnick since 2017 because the steps don't have a railing and are way too steep for him. He just didn't feel safe going up or down those things anymore.

But we adjusted. TCF is more fan friendly so we go up there every other year for the game. He got himself a great TV and sound system. I know he misses going with his buddies but he also doesn't miss the traffic and somebody's knees in his back for 3 hours.

I don't think you're a jerk at all, and I understand difficult decisions need to be made. I just think it would have been a better idea for all of college football on multiple levels to postpone the season until spring. As the result of either a vaccine being available or increased 'herd immunity', literally millions more fans would be in the stands compared to this fall, and the increased revenue would all be received in the same fiscal year as the fall.
That said, if football happens, I think it's unfortunate that the UI can't make one-time accomodations for a once-in-a-hundred year situation for long-time football season ticket holders -- who basically fund their entire athletic program. They easily could have said: if season ticket holders choose not to renew their tickets for one year due to C-19, those seats may be sold to someone else FOR ONE SEASON ONLY, without renewal privileges. And then someone like me would get first shot at those seats the following season. They didn't, and I think that's unfortunate.
Yes, I can try to sell my season tickets, but in effect I forfeit the value of my per-seat I-Club fee, and I seriously doubt demand will be high on the secondary market for tickets in the fall. Like I said, I just think it's unfortunate. (And I'm not an old fart who sits on his hands the entire game -- my seats are in Row 15 behind the opponent's bench and I'm on my feet the entire game yelling loudly, pestering the opposing team, etc.) And not a great way to build fan loyalty.

Is this what the ticket office has told you? Or someone else?
That's what I was told by the UI ticket office today. If I don't renew this year for any reason, including C-19, my seats could be sold and lost. The person I talked with said many people have been calling with the same question, and same disappointment, which is not surprising given probably 30-40% of Kinnick fans on any given Saturday are over 60.

That's what I was told by the UI ticket office today. If I don't renew this year for any reason, including C-19, my seats could be sold and lost. The person I talked with said many people have been calling with the same question, and same disappointment, which is not surprising given probably 30-40% of Kinnick fans on any given Saturday are over 60.
That is interesting. I was thinking they would give prior season ticket holders a little bit of a pass. I actually purchased mine early in the year before the Coronvirus was having an affect in this country. So I am locked in. I would imagine if fans can't attend they will have to refund ticket purchases, but maybe not donations required for the seats.

I have to think that they are taking a hard line in an attempt to brow-beat people into purchasing tickets. But they may be forced to be more reasonable by the time next year rolls around. I would never suggest to tell you what to do but it would be tempting to call their bluff and pass on purchasing tickets now and see what they do next year. There may not be enough takers.

That is interesting. I was thinking they would give prior season ticket holders a little bit of a pass. I actually purchased mine early in the year before the Coronvirus was having an affect in this country. So I am locked in. I would imagine if fans can't attend they will have to refund ticket purchases, but maybe not donations required for the seats.

I have to think that they are taking a hard line in an attempt to brow-beat people into purchasing tickets. But they may be forced to be more reasonable by the time next year rolls around. I would never suggest to tell you what to do but it would be tempting to call their bluff and pass on purchasing tickets now and see what they do next year. There may not be enough takers.
Is IS tempting, but I've gotten to be good friends with all the people who sit around me over the years, and hate to lose that. If I wouldn't reup there's a chance my 2 seats wouldn't be chosen by someone else for this season, but that's a crapshoot. I'll probably purchase them and hope they don't allow fans into Kinnick at the start of the season so I can at least get reimbursed for at least a couple games from UI, and try to sell the other games to younger folks.

I forgot, the U of I and B1G need to get your approval.

At what point did this become about what a minority of people "feel"?

Status
Not open for further replies.