Will We Have Football in the Fall?

Will we have a football season this fall?

• Season Cancelled

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Games played with no fans

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Games played with some fans

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • Games played as normal

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ree4

I'm hoping we have a full blown season, with sellouts and everything. I think all of us would be happen if that were to happen. What do all of you think? Please no politics or social issues!

I'm on the same page you are. Hoping everything is back to normal. Worst case scenario, if there is still some hotspots, would be games played with limited fans.

I read somewhere that when the PGA starts up in June with no fans for the first four events they are going to have the players and caddies take the Abbott 5 minute test before each round. If they test positive they WD. I could see MLB and NBA doing the same once they start up.

Last edited:
Was fun listening to Kirk talk about it. Interesting that he'd rather play with no fans than push it back 5-6 weeks and play with fans. I wonder how much the structure of the college classes plays into that.

Was fun listening to Kirk talk about it. Interesting that he'd rather play with no fans than push it back 5-6 weeks and play with fans. I wonder how much the structure of the college classes plays into that.
Well if they do play without fans for the first part of the season it might be to Iowa's advantage. 3 of our first 4 B1G games are on the road (at Minn, at OSU, at Penn State) and 5 of 9 B1G games are on the road this year. I still don't want to see that though.

Good topic.

My thoughts are contingent on things staying status quo: No widespread treatment available and wide spread testing hasn't proven that we've all already had it. If one of those things do happen my thought process changes quite a bit.

I think the conference season will be played starting on time. Iowa plays UNI and ISU as well so very possible those goes are played and with limited number of fans in attendance initially.

Then as the season goes I think it will be basically a war of attrition. Teams that don't have a player or staff member test positive will continue to play. As players and coaches begin to test positive those team will forfeit games for a 2-4 week period to see if the infection has spread to the rest of the team before getting back out and playing games.

Good topic.

My thoughts are contingent on things staying status quo: No widespread treatment available and wide spread testing hasn't proven that we've all already had it. If one of those things do happen my thought process changes quite a bit.

I think the conference season will be played starting on time. Iowa plays UNI and ISU as well so very possible those goes are played and with limited number of fans in attendance initially.

Then as the season goes I think it will be basically a war of attrition. Teams that don't have a player or staff member test positive will continue to play. As players and coaches begin to test positive those team will forfeit games for a 2-4 week period to see if the infection has spread to the rest of the team before getting back out and playing games.
Ugh that would be terrible if players started to get it and had to sit out or forfeit games :(

Good topic.

I have my doubts. One player gets sick, the whole team has to be quarantined. Too many teams have that happen and they have to forfeit that's not much of a season. A team is, say 8-0, then has a player get sick they have to forfeit, then that would be really awful. Too many teams have players get sick then the NCAA just cancels the whole season.

Don't see forfeits working in the NFL either. Maybe they can be flexible with bye weeks and such.

But if you have to forfeit or sit out 2-4 weeks and quarantine yourself, you're not working out or practicing at all so then, after recovery, how much time will you need to get your strength back and get up to speed on plays and such?

Just too many questions and doubts.

I've written and talked about it on the pod, but what I've gathered from Barta and KF is that a football season will be played between now and the end of the next fiscal year, June 30, '21. They need to do that for budgetary purposes if at all possible.
Maybe spring football? That could be fun if fall doesnt work out.

My worry is that if we start football in late August, but when the flu/cold season kicks in around mid October and if this Covid-19 virus does as well with no vaccine, then football will end right then and there just like basketball did. Dump all pre-season non conference games and just play conference opponents.

I can't see it happening in this calendar year.

But if money is needed, there will be a cash in exchange for lost lives decision made.

Those who make the decisions to play even with some high risks, will probably be at the games, but not their families.

There needs to be some "risk assessment" analysis done. There is always risk, even if there is no virus, killed on the way to the game in a traffic accident, heart attack walking to the high seats, falling, etc.

If students aren't physically in school because there is too much risk, it makes no sense to have players there, assuming those same risks that keep others away - just to raise cash.

Two cents...

There should be plenty of testing by then so if one person tests positive, they should be able to quarantine that one person and test everyone else right away. Right now people around someone who tests positive needs to self quarantine because they cant just go take a 5 minute test real quick. If what I say is right, it won't be whole teams forfeiting. It will just be random players sitting out here and there. Of course, as fast as this spreads, that one player could potentially give it to a bunch of other players before they get tested on saturday. Maybe test everyone mid week too?

Also, I have a friend who told me that he personally thinks we will have to just bite the bullet for all sports until the fall of 2021.

Football will get played. The schools NEED the revenue. Hate to say it like that, but it’s an ugly truth. If you take away football revenue for a season, suddenly the entire college concept changes. School simply can’t afford to lose the dough.

I think what we’re finding out is that most of America runs on lower margins than we thought originally. Most of us aren’t very good at Dave Ramsey-ing it.

If we do have football and fans are allowed, it will be interesting to see what kind of attendance we have. A lot of people who go to games are getting long in the tooth, I would imagine some of them would choose to stay home this year. Also for some people who lost or had reduced income this year, money for tickets could be an issue.

My guess is for lesser games, 50k or less might be all that show up, maybe 60k for the more attractive games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts