Will We Have Football in the Fall?

Will we have a football season this fall?

• Season Cancelled

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Games played with no fans

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Games played with some fans

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • Games played as normal

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There should be plenty of testing by then so if one person tests positive, they should be able to quarantine that one person and test everyone else right away. Right now people around someone who tests positive needs to self quarantine because they cant just go take a 5 minute test real quick. If what I say is right, it won't be whole teams forfeiting. It will just be random players sitting out here and there. Of course, as fast as this spreads, that one player could potentially give it to a bunch of other players before they get tested on saturday. Maybe test everyone mid week too?

They'd need to test twice daily I think. Need to get someone out the minute they tested affirmative.

I've written and talked about it on the pod, but what I've gathered from Barta and KF is that a football season will be played between now and the end of the next fiscal year, June 30, '21. They need to do that for budgetary purposes if at all possible.

Would be okay for once starting out a season in cooler/cold weather and ending it in warm weather.

Jamie Pollard talked with the DMR the other day and said ISU might allow fans in suites but not the stands.

Pollard and his staff have begun to work on plans for how football could have fans in attendance while still following social distancing, starting with the possibility of allowing fans in suites.

“You can slowly start to talk your way through that and say, I think we could,” Pollard said. “They’re isolated in their suite. There are ways to do food — pregame, packaged, no servers. Can’t leave your suite other than to go to the bathroom. People in the suites are pretty much people that you probably are already associated with anyways.

“By doing that you save roughly $3 million you don’t have to give back.”

LINK

This was the first time I've heard any official of any university speak that specifically about the order in which they would consider welcoming fans back. Very interesting to think in terms of the economic impact of letting in only high end donors. How much would it be if only suites were occupied at Kinnick?

Hard to imagine a scenario in which games are played with restrictions of fan attendance because of the culture surrounding games. It is one thing to not allow fans into the stadium, but quite another to prevent tailgating. Perhaps they could restrict it on university property, but it would be much harder on private property. The enforcement of these regulations would be a nightmare.

@RobHowe

How do you think this will be decided?

University by university? Each school decides whether it will play and under what conditions, both home and away. This would seem to create some terrible unevenness in the schedules.

Conference by conference? Each conference decide what it is going to do. Again, this would seem to create some terrible unevenness. However, I could see the conference given a partial share of revenue to teams that are unable to play.

Ad hoc leagues? I've heard some wild ideas about scrapping the current schedule and creating ad hoc leagues. In one scenario, it has the SEC playing Big 12 teams for their non-conference games. In other, it has one big league with regional divisions of whomever is playing.

Perhaps the bottom line is whether conferences like the PAC and Big 10 will be able to participate fully or even in part. If they hold out, it will be chaos for the rest.

Andrew Downs and I dove into this topic on the new podcast I just posted.

In summary, we'd just be guessing at this point on when and how it returns.

You mentioned different models and scenarios. Each day it seems we hear more possibilities.

I really think time will tell. It's hard to know what July and August will look like with the virus in the middle of May. And it will look differently depending on what part of the country you live in.

Who is making the decisions? Is it the NCAA? Is it conferences? Is it individual schools?

Too many knowns right now to accurately predict, IMO.

Bruce Herrald and other presidents have said they plan on bringing students back in the fall. Will they be able to do so? It's too early to tell, IMO.

I'm all for looking at best-case scenarios and campuses should prepare for re-opening in the fall. But, again, I think time will tell if that happens.

Who is making the decisions? Is it the NCAA? Is it conferences? Is it individual schools?

Here is this post I made the other day. It appears that the NCAA will decide.........

"The NCAA has made it clear that unless college campuses are open to the entire student body in the fall, there are no plans to risk the health of student-athletes for the sake of sports.

President Mark Emmert plainly said Friday night that the NCAA will not play fall sports if the coronavirus pandemic forces schools to close campuses in the coming months.

“College athletes are college students, and you can’t have college sports if you don’t have college [campuses] open and having students on them,” Emmert said, according to the NCAA’s Twitter. “You don’t want to ever put student-athletes at greater risk than the rest of the student body.”

The NCAA has been thought to be the dog being wagged by the tail.

We may see just how much power it has. I could see power conferences challenging its authority.

My concern is if given the green light then what happens when struck with adversity as the season progresses? What happens from a competitive standpoint if a program gets hammered by virus midseason and can't compete for two weeks or a prolonged period of time? Do they forfeit those games? What happens to opponents who are unable to play that team the following week? What risks would it pose to the athlete/program to return to competition after prolonged periods of time during the season (or possibly preseason) if it were to affect the majority of a team? How would programs respond to the possibility of having to travel to another school that had a flare up and had to cancel the following game(s)?

I simply struggle with how you put a plan in place at this point when there is so little information out there to help prepare you, and then how do you react on the fly.

In summary, we'd just be guessing at this point on when and how it returns.

You mentioned different models and scenarios. Each day it seems we hear more possibilities.

I really think time will tell. It's hard to know what July and August will look like with the virus in the middle of May. And it will look differently depending on what part of the country you live in.

I would love to know about the positioning that is taking place behind the scenes about who will be making the decisions, who will be taking the credit, and who will take the blame.

K here is how it could work. Everybody wears masks. You have about 1/3 capacity. You have to shackle in when you get to your seat. And oh yeah wear some Depends. Restrooms closed.

This was the first time I've heard any official of any university speak that specifically about the order in which they would consider welcoming fans back. Very interesting to think in terms of the economic impact of letting in only high end donors. How much would it be if only suites were occupied at Kinnick?

problem there is you get different people in there every week. Money talks. Its not like you just have family members together. Another example of the upper crust getting what they want, like with beer in Kinnick. Now Jamie is gonna do that.

My concern is if given the green light then what happens when struck with adversity as the season progresses? What happens from a competitive standpoint if a program gets hammered by virus midseason and can't compete for two weeks or a prolonged period of time? Do they forfeit those games? What happens to opponents who are unable to play that team the following week? What risks would it pose to the athlete/program to return to competition after prolonged periods of time during the season (or possibly preseason) if it were to affect the majority of a team? How would programs respond to the possibility of having to travel to another school that had a flare up and had to cancel the following game(s)?

I simply struggle with how you put a plan in place at this point when there is so little information out there to help prepare you, and then how do you react on the fly.

You do a pool each week. What teams in, what teams out. Draw lotto balls and lets go. It'd be glorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts