Will We Have Football in the Fall?

Will we have a football season this fall?

• Season Cancelled

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Games played with no fans

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Games played with some fans

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • Games played as normal

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we just played Iowa State 12 times this year as a semi-lock down measure, would the Hawks go 12 - 0 or just 11-1 against them? Do we spot them the one game or just go with a complete sweep?

problem there is you get different people in there every week. Money talks. Its not like you just have family members together. Another example of the upper crust getting what they want, like with beer in Kinnick. Now Jamie is gonna do that.

And so many of them are in the high risk categories for the virus.

There are so many players in the decision making. You have the elected officials, the NCAA, the Conference Commissioners, and the individual Universities. I would start at the Conference Commissioners level rather than worry what the elected officials or NCAA will do or not do. I would focus on how to conduct the games that are scheduled or rescheduled and deal with the consequences of elected officials and the NCAA when I have to. If the Michigan colleges can't play within their state then shift their games to their opponents sites that do allow games. The NCAA can't be inflexible about making temporary rule changes to permit competition with student not on campus in this setting. If you're counting on elected officials knowing what to do then don't expect a decision until the last minute.

Once the conference has a plan how to conduct the games the individual universities can then focus on the mechanics of holding the games. Part of the commissioner's plan could include dropping the non conference games and one conference game to permit maximum schedule flexibility. Moving conference games into early August through September might help as well. Warm temps and sunshine are thing this virus does not like. For me the conference sets a plan and proceeds.

@4thngoal

Posted forum rules again today, modified for this discussion specifically. We're not getting into what people need to do to control this virus or what should have been done. They're opinions that created the politically charged discussion I just locked on the basketball board.

Leave that to the experts or discuss it elsewhere. We're talking sports here.

@4thngoal

Posted forum rules again today, modified for this discussion specifically. We're not getting into what people need to do to control this virus or what should have been done. They're opinions that created the politically charged discussion I just locked on the basketball board.

Leave that to the experts or discuss it elsewhere. We're talking sports here.
Gotcha. It was just a general observation about everything including sports.

K here is how it could work. Everybody wears masks. You have about 1/3 capacity. You have to shackle in when you get to your seat. And oh yeah wear some Depends. Restrooms closed.
Kinnick's restrooms might as well be closed even when they're open because they are darn near impossible to get to.

Ok then what are our options?
Because to me again I say if the flu vaccine only has a 45% success rate. That won't work. We can't sustain extended lockdown.
The only other option is herd immunity. Which in the end is exactly how mankind has survived almost everything.
I mean look, I have things I want to do, things I want to see and I am 50 years old, kids are raised and I should be able to do some of them. But I am not scared. If I die, I die. I remember Mom always saying omg don't step on a rusty nail, so the way I see it is things have been trying to kill me since I arrived on the scene. I guess it's no different than playing football, there is a risk. Life is that way. But the risk of dying from this isn't all that great anyway, so I like my odds.
Short version. We can't stop it. So what are you going to do?
I am 24 years older than you are and I am not afraid to die, but I am having way to much fun right now to exit this life.

Ok then what are our options?
Because to me again I say if the flu vaccine only has a 45% success rate. That won't work. We can't sustain extended lockdown.
The only other option is herd immunity. Which in the end is exactly how mankind has survived almost everything.
I mean look, I have things I want to do, things I want to see and I am 50 years old, kids are raised and I should be able to do some of them. But I am not scared. If I die, I die. I remember Mom always saying omg don't step on a rusty nail, so the way I see it is things have been trying to kill me since I arrived on the scene. I guess it's no different than playing football, there is a risk. Life is that way. But the risk of dying from this isn't all that great anyway, so I like my odds.
Short version. We can't stop it. So what are you going to do?

I would add that I have worked in public school districts for my whole adult life and been exposed to about everything. Got a flu shot annually. Never had the flu. You may want to join me.

Kinnick's restrooms might as well be closed even when they're open because they are darn near impossible to get to.
I'm hearing that the UofI will keep the bathrooms locked if we have football, and that when you enter the stadium fans will be handed three plastic bags for you to relieve yourself when need be.

Dr. Fauchi on NBC said that NFL will start, but the moment if a team and it's players show signs of the virus, the plug will be pulled on football.

I'm hearing that the UofI will keep the bathrooms locked if we have football, and that when you enter the stadium fans will be handed three plastic bags for you to relieve yourself when need.

Dr. Fauchi on NBC said that NFL will start, but the moment if a team and it's players show signs of the virus, the plug will be pulled on football.

I thought that read gift bags. I was like, "sweet"

As Ncaa prez Emmert said the other day schools will have to be in session for sports to be played. This is only logical. Maybe online will be considered in session and permit sports. It is a total unknown right now the way S Korea and some early signs of increased Georgia cases look.

College football has to be played in the bigger schools, in many cases football funds the entire athletic department. In smaller schools where they rely mostly on ticket revenue this won't be the case. They will have to shut football down if they are unable to play in front of fans.

But I'm thinking by fall fans will be allowed to attend the games with some social distancing rules applied. It will be odd, stadium capacities will be cut to a fraction of what they can hold, but the schools will also be able to charge more for those tickets.

I'm hearing that the UofI will keep the bathrooms locked if we have football, and that when you enter the stadium fans will be handed three plastic bags for you to relieve yourself when need be.

Just pee yo pants. All the cool kids are doing it. Might not be great on those subfreezing days though.

That makes zero sense. Somebody is gonna get sick, just like they would have any other season. Teams have had stuff roll through the locker room before.

If we just played Iowa State 12 times this year as a semi-lock down measure, would the Hawks go 12 - 0 or just 11-1 against them? Do we spot them the one game or just go with a complete sweep?

And after going 11-0 with that schedule we'd still miss out on the playoffs due to strength of schedule.

My thoughts...

(1) What happens in a locked bathroom at Kinnick stays in Kinnick. Similar to Minnesota's policy except for the fact the doors are locked and no one finds out.

(2) If the NFL even goes into the season with the intent of pulling the plug the moment a team/players show any signs of the virus then why even plan on playing this fall. It's not a matter of when it happens, but rather what protocol to put in place when it does. With that mentality we better plan on permanently shutting everything down.

I personally don't think you're going to see football or basketball this year. I know football is the lifeblood of almost all major athletic departments, but I don't think you're going to see teams get together in groups to practice or play. There would be too much of a dichotomy between sports teams and the rest of the student body (and public in general), and the public outcry will negate the idea, whether right or wrong.

Yes, there are millions of rabid college football fans, but there are many, many millions more people who don't give a rip about sports.

You also have to keep in mind that universities don't need sports. For example U of I has way, way more resources to support itself than the athletic department could ever dream of.

I think as sports fans we get tunnel vision thinking that there's no way a football and basketball season could get canceled, but it's not outside the realm of possibility at all. Sports will resume at some point, but the financially struggling programs will be weeded out. And I don't think it's going to happen this fall/winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts