Will the Big 1G Look South?

It seems pretty easy to follow. Unless the old Big 12 goes away AND other conferences go higher than 12 teams, our conference is set.

you just don't understand.
The B1G gets 1.10 IN MARKET & like .10 out of market.

you pay over $4 for espn you just don't realize it
here's a list genius...List Of Subscriber Fees Shows What You Pay For Channels You Hate - The Consumerist

You know what,
nevermind, not worth my time.

That's exactly what he just said, and you are claiming the sub fee will triple. You're crazy. You think a cable provider in Seattle, WA or Los Angeles, or New York will pay over $1/sub for a regional sports network? Not a chance in hell. It's bad business for the cable companies/satellite providers. They are in the business of making money not paying through the nose for subscriber fees for regional sports networks that don't have local appeal. You are reaching big time here. I'm well aware that ESPN costs around $4/sub, what that has to do with the BTN is anyones guess. I guess you are trying to make an absurd comparison between ESPN that covers almost all major college and PROFESSIONAL sports across the nation and the BTN which covers mostly football and basketball and on strictly a regional level (even if Texas and ND are added).

No I'm not suggesting a conspiracy... that would involve a cover-up. I'm pointing to a reality that is being acknowledged across CFB by many sources. We've already had 3 teams on the move, with a possibility of two more in the next couple of weeks. I'll put my money down on 4 16 team conferences within 3-4 years, the B1G begin one of them.

I'll take your bet and raise you. Won't happen in 3-4 years and hopefully never.

That's exactly what he just said, and you are claiming the sub fee will triple. You're crazy. You think a cable provider in Seattle, WA or Los Angeles, or New York will pay over $1/sub for a regional sports network? Not a chance in hell. It's bad business for the cable companies/satellite providers. They are in the business of making money not paying through the nose for subscriber fees for regional sports networks that don't have local appeal. You are reaching big time here. I'm well aware that ESPN costs around $4/sub, what that has to do with the BTN is anyones guess. I guess you are trying to make an absurd comparison between ESPN that covers almost all major college and PROFESSIONAL sports across the nation and the BTN which covers mostly football and basketball and on strictly a regional level (even if Texas and ND are added).

I didn't make any assertion that the BTN would garner ESPN carriage fees.
I did however assert they would garner 3 times what they are currently getting, which has been industry standard.

Adding Texas & ND likely means the B1G can make a REAL run at that NATIONAL status.
In fact, it will be a national network.
You & I both pay for all kinds of channels that we never watch. Those that are truly regional and those that are national
I'm paying something like .64/mth for the Oprah Network. I don't want it, but its there, its part of the package.
A national BTN is no different.

Think back to when the BTN started & Delany's insistence on it being tiered on a basic package. That wasn't an accident.

You have all kinds of channels you're paying for as part of your "service".
The BTN will just be another one of those channels.

I really don't understand how people don't get this.

How is the Longhorn Network doing in TEXAS right now in terms of carriers? What makes you think everyone in California and New York and Florida is going to carry the BTN suddenly if Texas joins the league?

We could argue about money all night, but if anyone doesn't think the Big 1G would have more money per school with ND and TX in it just doesn't get it and never will. I don't know what else anyone can say.
So is there anyone else who wonders if any of the forgotten five will be working the phones over the next week to squeeze into another conference like the Big East?

We could argue about money all night, but if anyone doesn't think the Big 1G would have more money per school with ND and TX in it just doesn't get it and never will. I don't know what else anyone can say.
So is there anyone else who wonders if any of the forgotten five will be working the phones over the next week to squeeze into another conference like the Big East?

I don't think anyone's saying that schools won't be further ahead with ND and TX. I think people are saying that it's unlikely those schools would join the BT (or be invited --TX). And wondering how much money would be made by adding those two plus two other deadbeats to get to 16.

I'm also saying that regardless of the money, a 16-team Big Ten would suck. I'll watch it less. I hate the idea of non-traditional 'superconferences'.

I didn't make any assertion that the BTN would garner ESPN carriage fees.
I did however assert they would garner 3 times what they are currently getting, which has been industry standard.

Adding Texas & ND likely means the B1G can make a REAL run at that NATIONAL status.
In fact, it will be a national network.
You & I both pay for all kinds of channels that we never watch. Those that are truly regional and those that are national
I'm paying something like .64/mth for the Oprah Network. I don't want it, but its there, its part of the package.
A national BTN is no different.

Think back to when the BTN started & Delany's insistence on it being tiered on a basic package. That wasn't an accident.

You have all kinds of channels you're paying for as part of your "service".
The BTN will just be another one of those channels.

I really don't understand how people don't get this.

The only one who doesn't get it is you. You keep making this ridiculous assumption that adding Texas and ND will make the BTN a national network. Wrong! Sorry, but you are just flat wrong. Even in this scenario the Big Ten would be present in only 10 states. The BTN requires that cable/satellite companies carry the channel on the basic package in the Big Ten footprint only (it can be on a sports or digital tier elsewhere). And even then, they can't get away with doubling or tripling fees as you claim. Many providers held out the first go around, what do you think Mediacom, Comcast, etc will do when all of a sudden the BTN wants triple the price? They won't pay it. You live in a fantasy world. The BTN will still have limited appeal west of Denver and on the East Coast and southeast. So again, by definition the BTN remains a regional network. The only way the BTN will ever become a national network is if they expand beyond Big Ten conference coverage and that is counter intuitive. I'm well aware of how cable pricing works, you're argument is just so incredibly weak and you keep going back to the same points without any validity to them.

Trey you clearly don't get how difficult it would be to get cable companies to pay 3x as much for the programming they pay for now, even with the addition of TX or ND. Cable companies fought hard for over a year to get the BTN in Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, everywhere when it came out. They aren't going to just roll over and pay 3x as much, especially with the enormous expansion in sports networks, e.g. Pac 12 Networks, Time Warner (Lakers), Comcast (Houston and other markets), Longhorn Network. See my NFL Network example from earlier in the thread. Did Mediacom suddenly have to pay more when Nebraska joined? No and they are a big time program.

Nobody has said the value of the BTN would not increase with Texas or ND, but not at the level you suggest. And I guess it's just my opinion, but there is no way the BTN will become a national network.

I don't like the thought of a 16 team conference either nor do I see TX ever coming. With that being said, not much would surprise me at this point. I thought everything was good for a few years. Now I don't think any of us knows what will happen next. It's fun to talk about until the season starts.

The only one who doesn't get it is you. You keep making this ridiculous assumption that adding Texas and ND will make the BTN a national network. Wrong! Sorry, but you are just flat wrong. Even in this scenario the Big Ten would be present in only 10 states. The BTN requires that cable/satellite companies carry the channel on the basic package in the Big Ten footprint only (it can be on a sports or digital tier elsewhere). And even then, they can't get away with doubling or tripling fees as you claim. Many providers held out the first go around, what do you think Mediacom, Comcast, etc will do when all of a sudden the BTN wants triple the price? They won't pay it. You live in a fantasy world. The BTN will still have limited appeal west of Denver and on the East Coast and southeast. So again, by definition the BTN remains a regional network. The only way the BTN will ever become a national network is if they expand beyond Big Ten conference coverage and that is counter intuitive. I'm well aware of how cable pricing works, you're argument is just so incredibly weak and you keep going back to the same points without any validity to them.

ND is on a national network all by themselves my man.
I'm not saying this is what I want, but this is what is going to happen.

ND by themselves is national but ND plus Texas & the 12 other members of the B1G won't be?

Who's argument is weak?

It would take a level of incompetence that Dan Beebe couldn't achieve to keep the BTN from becoming a National Network.

But believe what you will

It would take a level of incompetence that Dan Beebe couldn't achieve to keep the BTN from becoming a National Network.

But believe what you will

You can believe what you want, but that doesn't make what you say correct. You talk in absolutes and the fact is everything you state is opinion. The BTN will not become a national network without expanding beyond coverage of the Big Ten. If you think otherwise I think you are a bit delusional. So I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

ND is on a national network all by themselves my man.
I'm not saying this is what I want, but this is what is going to happen.

ND by themselves is national but ND plus Texas & the 12 other members of the B1G won't be?

Who's argument is weak?

How much are cable subscribers paying for ND's national network? NBC's ND deal and the BTN are apples and oranges.

The Big Ten has a national deal too. With ABC and ESPN. We're talking about the 2nd and 3rd tier rights the BTN holds. That will remain regional.

Big Ten, should look south and look at University of Central Florida in Orlando!! It would bring a big tv market and help with recruits in a talent rich state and bring tons of new fans to the Big Ten lets look at the next 40 years not right now UCF is the third largest Uvniversity in America this would be amazing growth for Big Ten.

Big Ten, should look south and look at University of Central Florida in Orlando!! It would bring a big tv market and help with recruits in a talent rich state and bring tons of new fans to the Big Ten lets look at the next 40 years not right now UCF is the third largest Uvniversity in America this would be amazing growth for Big Ten.

There is a reason UCF has over 50,000 students. It is where the jorts wearers go when they can't get into Florida St.

Latest posts