Will the Big 1G Look South?

Not saying I want Texas, I don't.
But the numbers are the numbers, Jon.

The only way adding ANYONE from here out is if it allows the BTN to go NATIONAL, allowing it to garner near triple subscriber rates from coast to coast just like ESPN does. We all pay it, most of us just don't realize we're paying $2+/mth for it.

I'm not trying to be the know all guy here, but once I truly understood the financial impacts it was bright red glowingly clear what the options were.

If Rutburghcuse, Uconn, etc. did anything they would have been added.

No current member is allowing a school to be added so that they would then make less money.

Texas is not going to a conference where they have to share equal tv payments, they will either keep the big 12 alive or go independent, equal revenue sharing is not in their constitution, just ask A&M or nebby

Texas is not going to a conference where they have to share equal tv payments, they will either keep the big 12 alive or go independent, equal revenue sharing is not in their constitution, just ask A&M or nebby

Short of joining the NFL Texas CANNOT make more money than joining the B1G with ND and allowing the BTN to go national.

Nothing even comes close.

Do the math...
B1G is at ~$7M/yr each member from the BTN.
Now triple that for the increase in subscriber fees....$21M/yr
Now double that for the increase in households...$42M/yr

Those numbers are from the BTN ONLY

Texas would need 3 Longhorn Networks to touch that.

if the big ten decided to expand they would look first at:

1. ND national tv coverage
2.Rutgers or UCONN new york cable companies
3. Boston College, huge tv market
4. Maryland, huge washington dc and baltimore tv markets
5. Mo. st. louis market
6. pittsburg, another market

if the big ten follows the other conferences it will expand for tv markets and big time paybacks

Notre Dame is the obvious first choice. Rutgers and UCONN would be good adds, because Rutgers opens up markets in New Jersey. BC and Maryland do the same in the DC/Balt regions. But Pitt doesn't open much honestly. Penn St pretty much runs that entire state and the only market that Pitt would open, would be Pittsburgh itself.

Programs that don't allow the BTN to go national are out.
Simply because if they don't, they cost the other members money.

if the big ten decided to expand they would look first at:

1. ND national tv coverage
2.Rutgers or UCONN new york cable companies
3. Boston College, huge tv market
4. Maryland, huge washington dc and baltimore tv markets
5. Mo. st. louis market
6. pittsburg, another market

if the big ten follows the other conferences it will expand for tv markets and big time paybacks

I basically agree with the exception of BC and Pitt. I said this before, but I think they would go after Notre Dame first then some combination of Maryland, Rutgers, Uconn and Syracuse.

If the SEC expands to 14, you can bet the PAC 12 will work to expand if they aren't already. The Superconference era seems to be coming like it or not. So if the Big 1G can't get ND should they still look to add other major markets? Yes members would get less from BTN but the competition for major tv deals could be furious and the Big 1G wants to get as many eyeballs on tv sets as possible

If the SEC expands to 14, you can bet the PAC 12 will work to expand if they aren't already. The Superconference era seems to be coming like it or not. So if the Big 1G can't get ND should they still look to add other major markets? Yes members would get less from BTN but the competition for major tv deals could be furious and the Big 1G wants to get as many eyeballs on tv sets as possible

would you take less money to add someone to your group?
Especially knowing that state funding is being cut year after year after year.

I wouldn't & I don't think Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan or anyone else will either.

I am saying in the end the conference could make more money by adding the right teams and renegotiating a deal with ESPN and increasing their overall revenue per team. I honestly have no idea if this is possible

Sorry for not using the quote function, don't know how on iPhone

I am saying in the end the conference could make more money by adding the right teams and renegotiating a deal with ESPN and increasing their overall revenue per team. I honestly have no idea if this is possible

Sorry for not using the quote function, don't know how on iPhone

I see what you're saying & you're correct that adding eyeballs likely drives up what the B1G garners in its other TV contracts. I agree it will, but not to the extent that a National BTN does.

I agree very clearly the best financial option for Big 1G involves TX and ND. TX isn't worth the money and ND remains stubborn. I really don't understand how they turn down all that money to join a conference that suits them perfectly

I agree very clearly the best financial option for Big 1G involves TX and ND. TX isn't worth the money and ND remains stubborn. I really don't understand how they turn down all that money to join a conference that suits them perfectly

That's the billion dollar question.
I think in the end, whenever that comes, Texas & ND will be in the B1G.
Simply because it best maximizes everyone's revenues.

I doubt that the B10 would even bother with Texas. The cost of adding Texas would probably be too high. Oklahoma would probably appeal to most B10 fans.

The B12 is the conference that needs to look for new teams not the B10. With the defection of Nebraska, the B12 is Texas and everyone else. If they want to survive as a conference they need to talk to ND among others.

If that happens every university in conference would make a disgusting amount of money. No other conference would come close. But Texas has to be willing to play nice, and I just don't think it's possible over a long period of time.

would you take less money to add someone to your group?
Especially knowing that state funding is being cut year after year after year.

I wouldn't & I don't think Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan or anyone else will either.

You are not considering the future moving forward because you are evaluating expansion using today's dollars, contracts and conference power configurations. The B1G would be incredibly stupid and possibly destablize itself by standing pat if the Pac 12 & SEC expand beyond 12. One major conference for certain will be left holding the bag and right now it's either the Big East or the Big 12.

What you are not considering is market size[eye balls] and inventory when you add future teams. Both translate into more dollars when TV contracts, fees, etc. because you have more to offer. In some large regions in this country the B1G, like the Pac 12 & SEC may have monopolies on inventory of major college football. You must know what monopoly means in terms of charging for your product.

I do agree that ND and Texas are the ultimate #1's because they provide the most dollar outcomes period. I'm fearful of Texas but they will be forced to join under the current sharing environment of the B1G or not at all.

Texas and ND are going to find themselves in a possibly a precarious position. By losing A&M & Nebraska that's already a major prestige hit to the conference. It won't be too long before outside pundits will be knocking the conference's strength of schedule, etc. From a pure prestige factor alone Texas is going to be mocked and will be very upset by this. They will not put up with being in an 'inferior' conference and I think their only moves are to leave for another super conference or go independent. The independent thing is going to be tough if super conferences are formed though. All of these conferences could shut them out in terms of scheduling and a potential playoff bids will be dominated by these conferences on the basis of strength of schedule. The same holds true for ND.

In the end even if it means less money in the short-term the B1G must expand or risk being left out in the cold. Expansion will also force the hand of Texas and ND.

B1G and Delaney have already done their homework and have a list including ND and Texas. They will start adding in piece-meal form to turn the screws up each time to Texas and ND.

Going to be so interesting.....

Last edited:
Well if we want to be also looking for another conference after the Big 10 is destroyed in 10 years I say hell yeah add Texas ;)

You are not considering the future moving forward because you are evaluating expansion using today's dollars, contracts and conference power configurations. The B1G would be incredibly stupid and possibly destablize itself by standing pat if the Pac 12 & SEC expand beyond 12. One major conference for certain will be left holding the bag and right now it's either the Big East or the Big 12.

What you are not considering is market size[eye balls] and inventory when you add future teams. Both translate into more dollars when TV contracts, fees, etc. because you have more to offer. In some large regions in this country the B1G, like the Pac 12 & SEC may have monopolies on inventory of major college football. You must know what monopoly means in terms of charging for your product.

I do agree that ND and Texas are the ultimate #1's because they provide the most dollar outcomes period. I'm fearful of Texas but they will be forced to join under the current sharing environment of the B1G or not at all.

Texas and ND are going to find themselves in a possibly a precarious position. By losing A&M & Nebraska that's already a major prestige hit to the conference. It won't be too long before outside pundits will be knocking the conference's strength of schedule, etc. From a pure prestige factor alone Texas is going to be mocked and will be very upset by this. They will not put up with being in an 'inferior' conference and I think their only moves are to leave for another super conference or go independent. The independent thing is going to be tough if super conferences are formed though. All of these conferences could shut them out in terms of scheduling and a potential playoff bids will be dominated by these conferences on the basis of strength of schedule. The same holds true for ND.

In the end even if it means less money in the short-term the B1G must expand or risk being left out in the cold. Expansion will also force the hand of Texas and ND.

B1G and Delaney have already done their homework and have a list including ND and Texas. They will start adding in piece-meal form to turn the screws up each time to Texas and ND.

Going to be so interesting.....

I agree with everything you wrote.
You clearly understand the dynamics at work.
I would add that I have some suspicions that Texas is quite complicit in each and every action that is happening right now. Meaning I wonder if they're working with the B1G.

LOL... Texas won't be added unless they come in under the guidelines of the B1G. Not saying they will join under that premise but they have to seriously figure out what they are going to do. If they are sitting there in the new Big9 + houston/smu/louisville while 4 other superconferences form that are in deep do-do also.

Keep in mind that Texas A&M's move is a huge issue now for Texas. The SEC has a foot-hold into Texas and Texas A&M also gets a great leg-up in terms of recruiting within Texas by membership in the SEC.

Last edited:
1. Texas will never be in the Big 10. Never, ever, never.

2. Neither will Oklahoma. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will likely be a package deal, and I doubt they would be invited to the Big 10.

3. The Big 10 doesn't need to expand. No matter if there are other "Super" conferences...the Big 10 will survive just fine as is.

4. *If* the Big 10 ever expands in the future, I don't think it would be any higher than 14 teams. Notre Dame may get one final chance...if they ask to join I can see them and either Pitt or Missouri. If no Notre Dame, then Missouri and Pitt.

5. Rutgers, UCONN, Syracuse, etc. bring NOTHING. There may be a few more TV sets, but nobody cares about those FB teams. Adding them would lower the power/prestige of the Big 10 and I don't see it happening. Not that Missouri and Pitt are all that great..but they are better than the aforementioned. And you can forget about any team from Virginia, the Carolinas, Maryland, etc.

I don't want the Big 10 to expand any futher....but if they did, the ideal would be Oklahoma (if they could be had without OSU) for the Legends Division, and Notre Dame for the Leaders. That would make the Big 10 head and shoulders above ANY other conference you could cobble together. It would be the PREMIER conference, and the TV contract would be dazzling.

Can you imagine the resumption of the annual Oklahoma-Nebraska game? Not to mention having Notre Dame back on Iowa's schedule on a regular basis? Can you imagine 6 of the top 10 or 12 most storied football franchises in NCAA history all in the Big 10?

Last edited:

Latest posts