Who's the starting five next year?

I don't think he is going to start, but it is really disappointing to see the number of fans that disregard McCabe role. McCabe does whatever Fran asks of him, almost always playing out of position, and usually has a very productive 15 minutes.

He will definitely continue that role next year as a senior, and it would not surprise me to see his minutes go up slightly next year with May gone.

I don't think he is going to start, but it is really disappointing to see the number of fans that disregard McCabe role. McCabe does whatever Fran asks of him, almost always playing out of position, and usually has a very productive 15 minutes.

He will definitely continue that role next year as a senior, and it would not surprise me to see his minutes go up slightly next year with May gone.

An old coach told me that if you're constantly playing out of position, it may be because you don't really have one.

Jok gets rid of his shot quickly and please don't compare him to JO. I don't know if JO will ever be any better as a Big 3 pt shooter. He has a ways to go just to become a 30% 3 pt shooter. JO is adequate on defense and is an OK passer. We just need better 3 pt shooting, bottom line and JO will lose minutes to Jok next year.

Jok's shot is not the quickest release actually.

I dont know if his minutes will go up but playing three years in the BIG is worth something.

We have the same team as last year (with a couple potential upgrades from bench players.) It's hard to not see it being Marble, Gasell, White, Woody and Basabe.

Unless Uthoff and/or Jok are incredible, it would be hard to justify anyone but those 5 starting.

Ok, so Jok is a spot up shooter only, yet averaged 24 ppg. So you think Jok averaged aroud 7 or 8 3 pointers a game? And you think Jok got to the line 136 times being fouled on only jumpshots? Do you have to pretend to not understand basketball or do you really just not understand the rules of the game?

Jok can get to the hoop. There's no one who shoots 43% from 3 without having ability to get to the lane and make the defense respect his driving ability to create space for his shot and there's no one who gets to the line 136 times despite being the best FT shooter in the state without getting to the rim.

So if you make nonsense attacks at me that somehow makes you feel better about him not being able to get to the rim?

LOL, whatever.

One thing I hate is straw man arguments and thats what you just did there. Learn how to form a coherent argument without making up stuff and pretending I said it.

As for your made up argument I will take a few seconds to discard it.

first, I never said anything about being a spot up shooter or not being able to get in to the lane. Obviously hes not a spot up shooter in highschool when he handles the ball most of the time. Getting into the lane and getting to the rim are two completely different things. Do you have to pretend to not understand basketball?

Second, there are obviously plenty of people who shoot a high percentage from three without being able to get to the rim. Thats just flat out stupid that you would even try to say that. Most guys who shoot the highest percentage from 3 do not put it on the floor much at all. You should have thought about that one a bit longer.

Your whole analysis is amusing. Hes 6'5 future college player playing against highschoolers and he has the ball in his hands most of the time. Of course hes going to get fouled allot. Hes going to get foulded allot just on rebounding alone. None of that has anything to do with what he can do in college.

I have watched every video that has come out of him. Maybe he does different things in person that don't make the highlight videos but he has put out allot of video and at least from what Ive seen the majority of what he does is shoot jump shots over smaller players and rarely if ever takes it strong to the basket or beats anyone off the dribble.

If getting to the hoop and finishing at the rim is something he does regularly someone did a horrible job of putting all of his highlight videos together.

I don't have a problem with what he does on offense at all and I think he can be a productive player but people are expecting way to much as if just because he was a top ten rated player as a freshman in highschool he will have that kind of impact now and thats just fantasy land at this point.

So if you make nonsense attacks at me that somehow makes you feel better about him not being able to get to the rim?

LOL, whatever.

One thing I hate is straw man arguments and thats what you just did there. Learn how to form a coherent argument without making up stuff and pretending I said it.

As for your made up argument I will take a few seconds to discard it.

first, I never said anything about being a spot up shooter or not being able to get in to the lane. Obviously hes not a spot up shooter in highschool when he handles the ball most of the time. Getting into the lane and getting to the rim are two completely different things. Do you have to pretend to not understand basketball?

Second, there are obviously plenty of people who shoot a high percentage from three without being able to get to the rim. Thats just flat out stupid that you would even try to say that. Most guys who shoot the highest percentage from 3 do not put it on the floor much at all. You should have thought about that one a bit longer.

Your whole analysis is amusing. Hes 6'5 future college player playing against highschoolers and he has the ball in his hands most of the time. Of course hes going to get fouled allot. Hes going to get foulded allot just on rebounding alone. None of that has anything to do with what he can do in college.

I have watched every video that has come out of him. Maybe he does different things in person that don't make the highlight videos but he has put out allot of video and at least from what Ive seen the majority of what he does is shoot jump shots over smaller players and rarely if ever takes it strong to the basket or beats anyone off the dribble.

If getting to the hoop and finishing at the rim is something he does regularly someone did a horrible job of putting all of his highlight videos together.

I don't have a problem with what he does on offense at all and I think he can be a productive player but people are expecting way to much as if just because he was a top ten rated player as a freshman in highschool he will have that kind of impact now and thats just fantasy land at this point.

So you combat my argument saying that Jok just gets fouled all the time without driving to the rim because you watched some youtube videos. I've watched Peter Jok. And as a coach you tell your players not to foul guys who shoot 92% from the line so if you think people go around playing hack a Jok and being physical with him away from the hoop you are being dumb. Also you are right there are guys who don't put it on the floor in college and shoot high percentages. But those guys have teammates like Yogi Ferell, Victor Oladipo, Christian Watford and Cody Zeller so they don't have to do a lot to get space. Capice?

We have the same team as last year (with a couple potential upgrades from bench players.) It's hard to not see it being Marble, Gasell, White, Woody and Basabe.

Unless Uthoff and/or Jok are incredible, it would be hard to justify anyone but those 5 starting.

I agree with this. With the way that Basabe played this year, I think this is the starting 5. I do think though, that looking back Fran is willing to shake up the lineup if others are playing better. This year McCabe started off the year in the starting lineup, but lost that starting spot to a player outperforming him (Basabe).

I agree with this. With the way that Basabe played this year, I think this is the starting 5. I do think though, that looking back Fran is willing to shake up the lineup if others are playing better. This year McCabe started off the year in the starting lineup, but lost that starting spot to a player outperforming him (Basabe).

Not to pick nits, but Clemmons replaced McCabe in the starting lineup and then Basabe replaced Clemmons.

Not to pick nits, but Clemmons replaced McCabe in the starting lineup and then Basabe replaced Clemmons.

True, which even furthers the point. Fran will switch it up.

I think that Fran kept Woody in the SL for confidence reasons, and I don't think he does that next year. If Gabe is outplaying him, or if Uthoff is as good as some say, I could see Woody coming off the bench. I just don't think any of the other 4 sit, unless they really underwhelm (Gesell, Marble, White, Basabe).

I strongly feel Fran will play the units that play best together. Accordingly, thinking best five might not be the right mindset.

This will be the first time he actually has an experienced bunch who really understand the system. Also with the new summer practice rules, they have far more opportunity to develop units.

The starting 5 is not a big deal, it is that second line that comes in is where Iowa sees the most improvement.

These are the starters heading into next season:
C Woodbury
PF Basabe
SF White
SG Marble
PG Gesell

Second Line:
C Olaseni
PF McCabe
SF Uthoff
SG Oglesby
PG Clemmons

Third Line
C/PF Meyer
SG Jok
SG Ingram
SF Stokes
G Denning

As we can see minutes are going to be hard to come by. I do not think we can assume Jok and Uthoff will step in and start taking minutes from veteran players, they will have to prove themselves. By the end of the season the lineup and second line could look completely different.

Anyone thinking Jok and Uthoff will not be playing many minutes by Big Ten conference is crazy. It's been noted that Uthoff schools White big time in practice. Also Jok has great size for his height and is a phenomenal shooter. These guys are an upgrade on talent for the wing.