Who's the starting five next year?

It's not right or wrong, just different- Ferentz tends toward "You've paid your dues and now you are the starter" while Fran seems more "Here's who we need to play today for this situation; don't worry, you will get the minutes you deserve or at least that we need."

That said, this summer's developemnt is crucial for players who want more floor time. That said:
Marble, Gesell, White, Basabe, Woodbury
But I wouldn't bet money on anything.

Aaron White will be the most dominate shooting guard in the B1G unless Basabe becomes a better 3pt shooter then White will have to play the point.

Lol, puff, puff, puff puff. Let me guess your visiting Colorado today? Enjoyed your sarcasm.

Starters, why would it change?

Jok/Uthoff will come in off the bench, I can't predict how much either will play, but it will largely depend on the advancement or regression of 15 and 2. If those two don't step up in big way next year, they may see themselves largely on the bench. If they do, then I really don't know how much the other two play, but the nice thing is that is a good problem to have.

Meyer will have little impact I think as there are so many guys ahead of him and I hope Ingram redshirts; he should have this season.

I don't see the starters changing unless uthoff outplays white or basabe in games like white outplayed basabe during white's frosh year. The key is everything we have around them.

pg - gesell, marble, clemmons, ingram (marble right now is the second best pg and clemmons is struggling. I think that fran will coach ingram to be another back up pg and back up sg.)

sg - marble, gesell, ogelsby, jok, ingram (I put gesell here because jok hasn't played yet and ogelsby needs more consistency offensively. my money is on jok jumping to #2 in this spot)

sf - white, uthoff, marble, jok (I think uthoff is the best option at the 3 but until he outplays white he won't start. I hope he ends up starting over white or moves him back to the 4 because he is out of position right now both offensive and defensively, imo)

pf - basabe, white, uthoff, mccabe, meyer (lots of great depth and basabe is playing his best ball of his career. If he keeps it up and uthoff outplays white at the 3 I could see white on the bench but more likely basabe goes to the bench if uthoff gets in the lineup as the 3)

c - woodbury, olaseni, mccabe, meyer (woodbury and olaseni will be a dominant duo next year as woody will be the most improved player on the team)

I don't think anyone will redshirt but the most likely imo is ingram. Jok is going to be taking over for marble the following year so he will need game minutes so he won't be redshirted. Olaseni can't redshirt with how he played at the end because he is playing too well.

Default Starting Five:
Woody, Basabe, White, Gesell, Marble
This is assuming AdW gains the muscle he needs as we all know GO will garner more minutes as well. Those two splitting the C minutes almost exclusively is a key to next season.
With the way Marble has played at PG, I feel that him playing there is a default position as well.

I am intrigued by the offensive firepower of a Jok, Gesell, Marble backcourt as well as a frontcourt with White and Uthoff at 4-3 positions. I think we’ll see some of both depending on the match-ups.

I think you could have roughly 2 different offensive teams and style of play. A thought I had is to have the 2nd unit become a poor man's Iowa State from this year. So, I would have MG, RDM, White, Basabe & Woody starting and Oleseni coming in after 4 minutes when Woody picks up his 2nd foul. ( I kid...)

Now the second unit needs a point guard that can penetrate and then dish out to the 3 point shooters - that is a Spread-them-out kind of offense that Hoiberg has been running. So, hopefully Clemons improves his ball-handling skills, and then you spread out Oglesby, Jok, Uthoff (Pick who is 2,3 or 4) and then McCabe as your 5. All 4 of those guys can hit the 3. McCabe at the 5 means the opposing center has to come out of the paint to guard him, leaving the opening for the point guard to penetrate. It might be fun to watch. Almost like a shift change in hockey. Bring in that 2nd unit to play a different style of offense to keep the other team off-balance.

Maybe you just keep Marble out there at the point. That is the key position, IMHO. You need to have someone who can break down the defense and make the defense collapse in... and then pitch out to the open wing to shoot the 3. You have to have a trigger man that gets the respect of the defense and proves he can score on those drives to the basket, so that is where Clemons needs to improve, or you just leave Marble out at the point. If Jok and Uthoff are as good at shooting the 3 as I think they are, that 2nd unit could be better than most teams first unit.

Then bring back in the starters and pound it down to the block with our post-up players and foul the other team out.

If Clemons is the point guard on that 2nd unit, then 11 guys have a real role on the team. Ingram and Meyer are probably left out in that scenario. Maybe Ingram is the designated Chris Babb-type defensive stopper, if needed. Don't think he can shoot the 3 like Babb, but he's probably "stronger" than most teams 2-guards, and could take them to the hole...?

I think you could have roughly 2 different offensive teams and style of play. A thought I had is to have the 2nd unit become a poor man's Iowa State from this year. So, I would have MG, RDM, White, Basabe & Woody starting and Oleseni coming in after 4 minutes when Woody picks up his 2nd foul. ( I kid...)

Now the second unit needs a point guard that can penetrate and then dish out to the 3 point shooters - that is a Spread-them-out kind of offense that Hoiberg has been running. So, hopefully Clemons improves his ball-handling skills, and then you spread out Oglesby, Jok, Uthoff (Pick who is 2,3 or 4) and then McCabe as your 5. All 4 of those guys can hit the 3. McCabe at the 5 means the opposing center has to come out of the paint to guard him, leaving the opening for the point guard to penetrate. It might be fun to watch. Almost like a shift change in hockey. Bring in that 2nd unit to play a different style of offense to keep the other team off-balance.

Maybe you just keep Marble out there at the point. That is the key position, IMHO. You need to have someone who can break down the defense and make the defense collapse in... and then pitch out to the open wing to shoot the 3. You have to have a trigger man that gets the respect of the defense and proves he can score on those drives to the basket, so that is where Clemons needs to improve, or you just leave Marble out at the point. If Jok and Uthoff are as good at shooting the 3 as I think they are, that 2nd unit could be better than most teams first unit.

Then bring back in the starters and pound it down to the block with our post-up players and foul the other team out.

If Clemons is the point guard on that 2nd unit, then 11 guys have a real role on the team. Ingram and Meyer are probably left out in that scenario. Maybe Ingram is the designated Chris Babb-type defensive stopper, if needed. Don't think he can shoot the 3 like Babb, but he's probably "stronger" than most teams 2-guards, and could take them to the hole...?

No idea if this would actually happen but its a cool idea.

I don't think anyone redshirts even though I would like to see jok redshirt. Utoff takes may minutes but ingram would before jok better athlete better handles better defense. I don't see how jok can help much right away a year off to recover more and learn systems would help

I was standing next to Jok in the WDes Moines YMCA a couple of days ago-he was wearing his Hawkeye Hoody. I'm 6'3" and he didn't look like he was more than 6' 5". He looks like he's 15 or 16 years old and is pretty skinny. Not sure he'll be up to the rigors of the B1G his freshman year so maybe a redshirt would really benefit him.

I know some are hoping for Jok to be a program changer right from the get go but I wouldn't be surprised if he redshirts. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that will happen, but we truly don't know where he fits into the depth chart until he gets on campus. JO and Ingram will be ahead of him on knowing the offense and defense. Because of that, I can see a redshirt being a possibility.
I've felt this all along. Not including Jok, Ingram or Olesani, there will still be 10 scholarship players that could/will see playing time:
  1. Gesell/Marble/Clemens
  2. Marble/Gesell/Uthoff/Oglesby
  3. Basabe/McCabe/Marble/White/Uthoff
  4. White/Basabe/McCabe/Meyer
  5. Woodbury/Meyer/White/Basabe/McCabe
(For the record .. I don't think White/Basabe/McCabe will see any serious time at center, but in a pinch, and for a short (minute or two) spell they can do a credible job at the 5.)

Do I believe any of the three will redshirt? I think at least one will and POSSIBLY 2. There's a lot of talent for 200 minutes of playing time. But something has to give. So yes .. I could see 1 for sure and 50/50 chance that two of the three will RS.

I just think that from a team perspective, Jok and Ingram make the most sense. Jok will have time to work with the trainers to ensure the knee is in good shape and he's ready to play. It will also give him and Ingram a year to learn the system.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

I stopped reading at the word McCabe....

Jok will need to start for 5 minutes than be on the bench for ten. The kid is a hot shooter but he tires quickly

Latest posts