Who's the starting five next year?

White's game is completely unique. I can't wait to see JU, but White's game is about the smallest of advantages, like leaning a shoulder at just the right angle to get to the free throw line or setting his man up to use a back screen and score on a back door dunk.

Key word. "Practice". oglesby is an incredible shooter in practice. How's that working out?
You make a very good point, real live game atmosphere is difficult to simulate, and does often breed different results. I can only go on what I saw in a couple limited scrimmage sessions and parts of practices. IMO, based off what I watched he will do well next year. He has the skills necessary and performed very well against the current roster of guys and that includes being matched up with Aaron W. The real question to me isn't really how good are either player when compared to each other it is more of a question of how will Fran spread out the minutes with a growing group of talented wing players.

Honestly, if I was to compare Uthoff to a certain player my choice would be Kyle Singler former Duke forward.

I would like to see this lineup below. Gives us the best post D and athleticism. And then our bench would be good enough to start on some bad conference teams. But whatever the lineup next year I can't wait.
Starters:
MG
Marble
White
Basabe
Gabe O
1st 5 off the bench:

Clemmons
Jok
Utoff
Mccabe
Woody

White's game is completely unique. I can't wait to see JU, but White's game is about the smallest of advantages, like leaning a shoulder at just the right angle to get to the free throw line or setting his man up to use a back screen and score on a back door dunk.
I agree Aaron has a very non traditional style of play. He is at his best when things are at their most hectic if that makes sense. His biggest weakness is in a slowed down half court game. He is best after offensive rebounds or in transition. He is to a degree a garbage man type. He has a knack/nose for the ball. One thing about him is he seems very good when he gets something to get him fired up. Sometimes when watching him it seems like he needs to wake up.

Almost all players are that way too a point though as often times a player's defensive effort tends to rely a little on how well their offensive game is going at the time. Aaron is very much this type right now. Also a product of being an underclassmen. This is why so many seniors seem to make a big leap their last season is because that sense of urgency is always there.

One thing that White will have on Uthoff is strength. Now I know White isn't some body builder but Uthoff is in the Kurt Looby category when it comes to size. He's very skinny and needs to put on some lbs.
He is definitely on the thin side, although I think he is a guy who still be pretty effective with that body type. Kind of a wirey strength. Neither him or Aaron are gonna turn many head's in the weightroom that's for sure. I think Fran knows if he wants more beef inside than he will have to do that through recruiting more so than adding much weight to these guys. Some is okay, but there is a fine line whether you get a guy out of his comfort zone.(Basabe last year)

This.

I dont' see it as a competition between the two. White bests spot is the 4 and Utoffs the 3.

I think Iowa will be at its best next year with the 4/5 spots being divided between White/Mel Adam/Gabe. With spot minutes for McCabe.

Then the 1-3 spots will be split with Mike, Clemmons, Marble, Utoff and then Josh or Jok.

Just start on #122

Thanks...will respond to what I've read starting at #122. I don't have any inside information whatsoever but being 2 years removed from high school should mean Uthoff's body has developed and matured and gotten stronger. This is true even if he weren't a D 1 athlete.

Also, a guy doesn't have to be a body builder to play basketball. We saw what happened to Basabe when trying to bulk him up as a sophomore. Now don't get excited here because I'm not making this next comment as a reference to Uthoff's skill set, ability, development or anything else Uthoff related. Kevin Durant is a pretty thin, skinny, wiry looking guy to me...TV adds 10 pounds right. Durant is pretty solid so saying a guy is too thin or skinny carries zero weight with me as to what he can do on a basketball court. Heck, Marble is our best player and he doesn't have a "Big 10" body.

I don't care. At the absolute worst, Jok will give the team a good outside shooter, which is something this year's team desperately needed.

Agree. If jok can shoot, he needs to play. Our outside shooting is atrocious.

I'm throwing out something different because I feel the off-season will tell the tail.

1. Marble
2. Gessell
3. White
4. Utoff
5 Woodbury

I think Iowa starts this line-up. You have 3 proven shooters in the line-up with a possible 4th in white. You have two decent ball handlers and Gessell works better at the 2 guard. Coming off the Bench you have:

at the 1 spot Clemmons & Olgesby if needed
2 spot Olgesby & JOk
3 Spot you have McCabe & Jok
4 Spot you have McCabe & Meyer
5 Spot you have McCabe, Meyer, and Olaseni

There are a lot of options, I just hope Fran plays the best players and no more of this playing the players to play them. I hope our guys coming back pick up their game and improve and get better. We have the tools to make a great run, but our players have to be motivated and want it!

You make a very good point, real live game atmosphere is difficult to simulate, and does often breed different results. I can only go on what I saw in a couple limited scrimmage sessions and parts of practices. IMO, based off what I watched he will do well next year. He has the skills necessary and performed very well against the current roster of guys and that includes being matched up with Aaron W. The real question to me isn't really how good are either player when compared to each other it is more of a question of how will Fran spread out the minutes with a growing group of talented wing players.

Honestly, if I was to compare Uthoff to a certain player my choice would be Kyle Singler former Duke forward.

JO shot 47% from 3pt land last year. Whatever the coaches had him change drastically affected his shot. That will be fixed...

I'm throwing out something different because I feel the off-season will tell the tail.

1. Marble
2. Gessell
3. White
4. Utoff
5 Woodbury

I think this is your starting lineup. But I would have Uthoff at the 3, and Mel at the 4. If Olaseni improves as much as this past season, he will be starting over Woodbury. He is darn closing to starting over him now.

I like Uthoff over White. He has a better shot & can take it off the dribble better than White(and that is from his game 2 years ago!). AW just cannot finish. I'm sick of the lower the shoulder and flop for a foul. That call will start to go away as the refs catch on. He certainly wasn't getting the call last night... He needs to learn to finish. Then get the occassional and one. Until he can do that, I want a player with a shot and better ball handling skills. So does Fran, at least he has said as much in talking about recruits/players he is looking for.

Marble needs to be at the one. No question. Besides MG makes a great two.

Basabe, add some muscle (but not too much please).

You can mix & match with others. But we WILL have a good-to-great team no matter how you slice it! And that is for years to come... :)

Last edited:
1) gesell
2) marble
3) uthoff
4) white/basabe
5) woodbury

Gesell is the pg...when marble is at point everyone seems to stand around waiting for him to do everything...whether it be get his own shot or get them a shot. Plus he was getting 15 or 16 pts as a primary wing player early...he doesn't need to be the point to score.

Uthoff would be my preference at the 3 as he is a better shooter, passer, ballhandler than white. But I am not sure he will start.

White and basabe are basically 4s and that is where both belong. Hopefully white can get the 10-12 ft shot basabe has gained and even develop as much back to the basket game as basabe because white seems to disappear in the halfcourt.

1) gesell
2) marble
3) uthoff
4) white/basabe
5) woodbury

Gesell is the pg...when marble is at point everyone seems to stand around waiting for him to do everything...whether it be get his own shot or get them a shot. Plus he was getting 15 or 16 pts as a primary wing player early...he doesn't need to be the point to score.

Uthoff would be my preference at the 3 as he is a better shooter, passer, ballhandler than white. But I am not sure he will start.

White and basabe are basically 4s and that is where both belong. Hopefully white can get the 10-12 ft shot basabe has gained and even develop as much back to the basket game as basabe because white seems to disappear in the halfcourt.

Didn't watch much of the first four NIT games, did you?

1) gesell
2) marble
3) uthoff
4) white/basabe
5) woodbury

I was wondering if I was the only one who thought this way. I don't like Marble at the point. I know we had a good run, and the team played well. I think it was due to the fact that we actually shot well. I think Foval is right, when Marble is at the point, we rely too much on him.

I think if Marble just stays at the SF/SG, but you let him run the offense from the top from time to time. I don't think it matters much if Gesell runs the PG, and bring the ball up the court.

I watched the nit that is why I know what I wrote is true. Look at how well the offense looked against baylor. I think marble played a respectable pg last yr but their is no question in my mind that bryce cartwright was a better offensive pg than marble and that is why when he got back healthy marble moved to the wing. When gesell is 100% he is a much better pg than marble. It is good we have a sg/sf with the ability to play pg because it makes it easier against pressure defense to get up the court and run your offense. But marble is not a pg.

Before gesell got hurt basabe was playing the best ball of his career. After gesell got hurt basabe got less and less floor time and looked less solid on the offensive end. Gesell was get basabe very involve in the offense and is our best entry passer to the post.

Latest posts