Who's the starting five next year?

Bryce was a better offensive point than all three of the guys Iowa has now for running the fast break, much better in fact but the reason Iowa is so improved this year is we don't have his horrible defense.

No way. Bryce was a turnover machine (though he did have a few big games). Outside of Clemmons play the last 1/3 of the season or so, all 3 are better than Bryce in almost every way. Bryce was a nice stop gap, but let's be real.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I hope Olesani and/or Basabe are playing so well that Fran has to start one of them instead of Woodbury. I think Iowa is going to be a high octane team next year, and in my opinion, most teams would have difficulty running with a starting frontcourt of Uthoff/White/Olesani. Hell, White and Olesani run the court better than some of the guards in the Big Ten.

In my mind, it's a shame to slow things down so that Woodbury can keep up. I know that he shows flashes, but I don't think he is particularly well-suited for Fran's style and the existing personnel, at least at this stage in Woodbury's career. Much of his height is overrated given how short his arms are and his lack of jumping ability.

I'm not saying cut the kid, but I'd like to see Iowa run and run and run with some of the studs they have in the frontcourt.

These four start

Gesell
Marble
White
Woody

I'm not sure who the fifth is. Either Basabe with White at the three, or Uthoff with White at the four.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I hope Olesani and/or Basabe are playing so well that Fran has to start one of them instead of Woodbury. I think Iowa is going to be a high octane team next year, and in my opinion, most teams would have difficulty running with a starting frontcourt of Uthoff/White/Olesani. Hell, White and Olesani run the court better than some of the guards in the Big Ten.

In my mind, it's a shame to slow things down so that Woodbury can keep up. I know that he shows flashes, but I don't think he is particularly well-suited for Fran's style and the existing personnel, at least at this stage in Woodbury's career. Much of his height is overrated given how short his arms are and his lack of jumping ability.

I'm not saying cut the kid, but I'd like to see Iowa run and run and run with some of the studs they have in the frontcourt.

LOL

Woody can run a little bit, heck quite a few of his points were off of put backs or as a trail guy during fast breaks. He actually can get open looks in that format where as when the ball is slowed down he get's double teamed if he isn't overmatched by his defender. When that happens he tends to rush it and or get blocked because he plays smaller than he is way too much. He is a freshman center that isn't overly athletic but with great skill (ie. back to basket when given time). It takes time for that type of player to develop. He will be a great Hawkeye, I just hope people are patient enough to wait and enjoy seeing his progress along the way. He will only get stronger, smarter, and more confident in his abilities.

If you're only concerned about the offensive end maybe, basketball games are won with defense. Woody makes an enormous difference defensively when he's on the court.

If you're only concerned about the offensive end maybe, basketball games are won with defense. Woody makes an enormous difference defensively when he's on the court.

Yep, I like him and his defense. Of course, part of defense is how quick you can get back in transition, and Olesani (or starting three forwards) gives Iowa better defense from that standpoint.

Also, I see your highlighted text. I think Woody's short arms hurt him on defense, too.

Wooden said the two most important things in basketball are quickness and balance. Woody is below average in both of those aspects. Olesani, on the other hand, demonstrates top end quickness and balance for a center. Not saying Olesani is "there" yet, or that he will ever get there, but not sure Woodbury will necessarily give Iowa a better chance to win next year than a line-up with three forwards or Olesani. We all know they will play a lot, and that all will be needed at times.

Yep, I like him and his defense. Of course, part of defense is how quick you can get back in transition, and Olesani (or starting three forwards) gives Iowa better defense from that standpoint.

And yet Iowa didn't struggle giving up transition points with Woody in the game this year so I don't think it's suddenly going to become a problem next season. And Woodbury is still way ahead of Olesani on the defensive end. Olesani ends up out of position quite often, especially any time he's involved in a high pick and roll.

Also, I see your highlighted text. I think Woody's short arms hurt him on defense, too.

Wooden said the two most important things in basketball are quickness and balance. Woody is below average in both of those aspects. Olesani, on the other hand, demonstrates top end quickness and balance for a center. Not saying Olesani is "there" yet, or that he will ever get there, but not sure Woodbury will necessarily give Iowa a better chance to win next year than a line-up with three forwards or Olesani. We all know they will play a lot, and that all will be needed at times.

John Wooden also knows the best way to field a championship team is have a guy paying all your players. Hard to take all his advice seriously when he cheated his way to all those titles.

What are Meyer's strengths? Will he simply be a minor role player to give the Hawks some minutes in the post when Woodbury and Olaseni are in foul trouble, or will he get more minutes because he actually has some very good offensive, defensive, or rebounding skills? I really haven't read or heard much about him or his progress.

Nothing personal intended but you either didn't pay very close attention to Woodbury when he played or you have just convinced yourself that since Gabe is more athletic that he is better. Gabe is a better all around athlete than Adam is, that's a fact. That is where the argument should end though. Adam is as good of a defensive 7 footer as a freshman that I have ever seen. He understands where to be, what to do, he is a very good communicator on defense and if you didn't notice he really does a great job of help defense. Gabe is great for helping down low and getting the occasional blocked shot. Adam does a better job positioning for rebounds and as Hawkstrat mentioned he is an excellent outlet passer for a big man. Which will lead to transition points. Not to mention he runs the floor very well also. I think Gabe has a tremendous upside but Adam has a much more well rounded game at this point and Adam is still somewhat growing into his frame if that makes sense. Once he really physically matures look out.

I wasn't very correct last summer. McCaffrey's pattern of minutes was quite different than his last year at Sienna. I would guess that he would continue to determine minutes based on individual situations more than we see from most other coaches.

In the July 2012 2012-13 "Minutes & Roster Predictions" thread, I posted (with bad math. 9 ≠ 4+1+3):
Sienna 2009-10 (Fran's Fifth year)
9 players in double figure minutes
4 with more than 30 minutes/game
1 with more than 20 minutes
3 with more than 10 minutes
next player had less than 6 minutes/ game
http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/...13-minutes-roster-predictions.html#post851250

Our current season, the reality was…
from Hawkeyesports.com
Hawks 2012-13 (Fran's Third year)
10 players in double figure minutes
1 with more than 30 minutes/game
3 with more than 20 minutes
6 with more than 10 minutes
next player had less than 7 minutes/ game

Here's the final minutes played.
30.5 - Marble, Roy Devyn
29.2 - White, Aaron
25.1 - Gesell, Mike
21.8 - May, Eric
18.5 - Basabe, Melsahn
16.8 - Clemmons, Anthony
16.5 - Woodbury, Adam
16.2 - Oglesby, Josh
15.6 - McCabe, Zach
10.7 - Olaseni, Gabriel

By the way, the corresponding figures for the 2013 NCAA Champion and runner up...

Louisville
9 players in double figure minutes
3 with more than 30 minutes/game
3 with more than 20 minutes

Michigan
7 players in double figure minutes
4 with more than 30 minutes/game
0 with more than 20 minutes

Nothing personal intended but you either didn't pay very close attention to Woodbury when he played or you have just convinced yourself that since Gabe is more athletic that he is better. Gabe is a better all around athlete than Adam is, that's a fact. That is where the argument should end though. Adam is as good of a defensive 7 footer as a freshman that I have ever seen. He understands where to be, what to do, he is a very good communicator on defense and if you didn't notice he really does a great job of help defense. Gabe is great for helping down low and getting the occasional blocked shot. Adam does a better job positioning for rebounds and as Hawkstrat mentioned he is an excellent outlet passer for a big man. Which will lead to transition points. Not to mention he runs the floor very well also. I think Gabe has a tremendous upside but Adam has a much more well rounded game at this point and Adam is still somewhat growing into his frame if that makes sense. Once he really physically matures look out.

No, I agree with you that Woodbury was the better defensive player this year. But if Olesani keeps improving at the current rate it will be interesting to see where he ends up. Woodbury can get up and down the court ok, but don't fool yourself about his lack of quickness. And I don't understand why everyone has all these qualifiers about Woodbury being 7 feet..."for a 7 footer he is this, or that." The kid has alligator arms. Doesn't Olesani have a greater wingspan, which is far more important than raw height?

Again, I thought Woodbury did fine this season. Stuck his nose in there, competed, tough, good team defense. I'm just more intrigued by Olesani, in part due to his size, quickness and hands, but also in part because of Woodbury's limitations, which seem to be only average feet that aren't all that quick, short arms and slow jumping.

Latest posts