Who's the starting five next year?

I will go with who Fran puts on the floor.

In all seriousness, if Uthoff has grown the two inches and put on 25 lbs, can he be a guy like Steve Novak?

If so, put him in, Novak was far from flashy, but did everything well and is doing okay in the NBA, if Jarrod can shoot the 3-ball with regularity then I like him there.

The nice thing, Iowa has a ton of length and if they want to play zone and be aggressive with that length they will be able to contest a lot of shots and continue to help from the weakside and get a lot of blocked shots.

If Basabe goes to the bench think about the next five:
Clemmons
Oglesby
Jok
Basabe
Olaseni

Throw in McCabe if he shoots well and Iowa has tons of depth and even better scoring off the bench than they did last year. I don't see Meyer/Ingram seeing a ton of minutes unless there are major foul problems, but see them having big impacts their third year on campus. It would benefit Ingram greatly if he takes a redshirt and with the roster the way it is shaping up there is really no reason not to take one.

I'd like to see Mike G. develop and play the 1. I like his attitude and the way he attacks the game. I'd put Dev at the 2, Utoff at 3, Aaron White at the 4 and Woody at 5. I really liked when Mel came off the bench. He brought energy, a scoring punch and an attitude in with him.

This time next year who is our starting five?

How much do Jok and Uthoff factor in next season? Woodbury Basabe Marble Gesell Clemmons.

White McCabe Olesani Jok Uthoff/Olgegsby .2nd team.

Woody 26 min
Basabe 27 min
Marble 32 min
Gesell 27 min
Clemmons 18 min
60 min left White 22 min Olesani 10 min McCabe 10 min Jok 8 Olgeaby 8 2min 4 Utoff

How much do Jok and Uthoff factor in next season? Woodbury Basabe Marble Gesell Clemmons.

Woody 26 min
Basabe 27 min
Marble 32 min
Gesell 27 min
Clemmons 18 min
60 min left White 22 min Olesani 10 min McCabe 10 min Jok 8 Olgeaby 8 2min 4 Utoff

Did you really just predict 2 minutes per game for Uthoff, or was that a typo?

No Typo . I definitely could be wrong on Uthoff min. He could average anything up to 15 min. The more he plays the less A White and Mccabe

I don't see him getting less minutes than McCabe, Jok or Oglesby. 15 mpg is about the minimum I can see for Uthoff, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him start. 6'10" with a 3-ball, with a year under Bo and another year of practice under Fran. I think he's at least the 6th or 7th man in the rotation.

If I were the coach, I'd go with
G Gesell
G Marble
F White
F Basabe
C Woodbury

6. Uthoff
7. Olaseni
8. Clemmons
9. McCabe
10. Jok
11. Ingram
12. Oglesby
13. Meyer

Last edited:
This time next year who is our starting five?

Woody 26 min
Basabe 27 min
Marble 32 min
Gesell 27 min
Clemmons 18 min

This is terrible..you just had basabe jump like 8 or 9 mpg up from this year and cut white by 5 min. Not to mention that woody jumped 8+ min. Along with marble going up in min. The added depth would cut some peoples time. But I see no way that white goes under 25 min and definitely no way he plays less mins than basabe or woody.

White can't play Defense.

Woodbury, White, Marble and Gesell are as close to locks as one can get. I've read all about how Woodbury has to get stronger; White has to make outside shots, score the "and 1s" and improve on defense; Marble has to consistently play like he did in the first 4 games of the NIT; Gesell has to get healthy. There is some truth in all of this but these guys are virtual locks to start.

If Uthoff is as good as advertised he will probably take Basabe's spot. Otherwise, it will probably be Basabe or Clemmons (has an outside chance IMO).

Woodbury, White, Marble and Gesell are as close to locks as one can get. I've read all about how Woodbury has to get stronger; White has to make outside shots, score the "and 1s" and improve on defense; Marble has to consistently play like he did in the first 4 games of the NIT; Gesell has to get healthy. There is some truth in all of this but these guys are virtual locks to start.

If Uthoff is as good as advertised he will probably take Basabe's spot. Otherwise, it will probably be Basabe or Clemmons (has an outside chance IMO).

Pretty much agree.

It wasn't that long ago when there weren't 5 legit Division I starters on the team. Now, you could make a case for 7 or 8 players who could legitimately start for a Division I school. I'm excited for next year's team.

This is terrible..you just had basabe jump like 8 or 9 mpg up from this year and cut white by 5 min. Not to mention that woody jumped 8+ min. Along with marble going up in min. The added depth would cut some peoples time. But I see no way that white goes under 25 min and definitely no way he plays less mins than basabe or woody.

I imagine the amount of minutes per game will depent on the type of team we are playing and who happens to be hot for Iowa or the other team in a particular game. Thats where Iowas depth will be valuable. I love the idea of Fran playing a lot of guys if they work hard in the offseason and earn their playing time. Tom Davis use to say the only way you develop depth is by playing they guys.

Uthoff is taking White min. White is a defensive liability at the Three and 4 .He is a good offensive 4 provided he hit outside shot. Basabe has to play more be cause he is the best screen/block shot and toughness. White can dominate small school players but he has trouble with good div1 players.

I strongly suspect I am responding to a troll, but you couldn't be more wrong. White played more minutes than Basabe the past two years and he will again next season.

Yeah, White is such a liability that he got the second most minutes on the team this year. I guess Coach McCaffery just wasn't paying attention.

I strongly suspect I am responding to a troll, but you couldn't be more wrong. White played more minutes than Basabe the past two years and he will again next season.

Yeah, White is such a liability that he got the second most minutes on the team this year. I guess Coach McCaffery just wasn't paying attention.

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was a troll but decided to give this poster the benefit of the doubt...just someone new that doesn't know anything about basketball. I know from the response it is a very weak troll attempt.

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was a troll but decided to give this poster the benefit of the doubt...just someone new that doesn't know anything about basketball. I know from the response it is a very weak troll attempt.
No trolling. I know u guys like White but I know things u guys don't. White plays more minutes past 2 years so wtf does that have to do with next year. The keys to the Hawkeys NCAA chances are Basabe and Woodbury . Clemmons not turning it over and Marble being Marble. A White is a defensive liability in big games against stronger athletic players. Guys we don't play Northwestern 15 times. Stop riding A White nuts

No trolling. I know u guys like White but I know things u guys don't. White plays more minutes past 2 years so wtf does that have to do with next year. The keys to the Hawkeys NCAA chances are Basabe and Woodbury . Clemmons not turning it over and Marble being Marble. A White is a defensive liability in big games against stronger athletic players. Guys we don't play Northwestern 15 times. Stop riding A White nuts

You are the anti-herby!

LOL...A troll that can't spell. I love it! Stop wasting your time.