Who"s Leaving?

I thought we only had enough schollies for one recruit in the '17 class...
I believe the scholly would go to either Garza or Nunge, correct?

My understanding would be Garza and Nunge are taking Jok and Jones' scholarships. Most people have assumed that Jones was moving on.

But now Jones leaving doesn't have to happen.

Agreed. I'm actually fine with him staying, because it allows Fran to locate someone in the next cycle, where he would have more time. The only thing is we could probably use some more guard depth next season. And again a lot of this depends on the CM situation as well.

I kinda had a feeling that Connor was going to end up just playing baseball but if Williams were to leave, it could open the door to some floor time as a freshman which may make basketball more attractive for him.

I'm not high on Connor but I think he'll contribute just as much Williams did last year. Christian only averaged 2 points a game. I think Connor will be a much better passer and hopefully be able to run the offense better. Williams would have been better on D.

I kinda had a feeling that Connor was going to end up just playing baseball but if Williams were to leave, it could open the door to some floor time as a freshman which may make basketball more attractive for him.

I'm not high on Connor but I think he'll contribute just as much Williams did last year. Christian only averaged 2 points a game. I think Connor will be a much better passer and hopefully be able to run the offense better. Williams would have been better on D.

I'm pretty much with you there.

The question is if CM sticks to baseball only or decides to redshirt to play an extra year with his brother, are we okay at PG next year? Probably not.

I for one am not convinced landing a grad transfer guard or JUCO guy is as easy as others believe it to be.

I'm pretty much with you there.

The question is if CM sticks to baseball only or decides to redshirt to play an extra year with his brother, are we okay at PG next year? Probably not.

I for one am not convinced landing a grad transfer guard or JUCO guy is as easy as others believe it to be.
Uhl will back up the point. Have you seen how fast he is?

These rumors usually have legs more often than not. If Williams does leave, Dailey might be an option at the point. Fran has said that he could use Ellingson. I can't see Fran being able to promise a high quality point guard or transfer a lot of minutes next year with Bohannon around. What is of more interest to me is how good Garza and Nunge are. Their should be a lot of interest in the Prime Time League. I doubt either Garza or Nunge will get very many minutes in their European trip this summer.

Connor McCaffrey is a 4 star player. #1 player in the state of Iowa and just outside the top 100 nationally. He is rated higher than both Garza and Nunge by 247. This is a great recruiting class by Fran and McCaffrey is a very key component to it. If his last name was not McCaffrey everyone would be jacked with him coming in next year.

Connor McCaffrey is a 4 star player. #1 player in the state of Iowa and just outside the top 100 nationally. He is rated higher than both Garza and Nunge by 247. This is a great recruiting class by Fran and McCaffrey is a very key component to it. If his last name was not McCaffrey everyone would be jacked with him coming in next year.
I'm not high on cm due to seeing his video.

Moss is the x-factor in all this. If Moss takes the next step he is your 2 with Ellingson the backup. Then CM can primarily backup JB and get spot minutes at the 2.

Moss is the x-factor in all this. If Moss takes the next step he is your 2 with Ellingson the backup. Then CM can primarily backup JB and get spot minutes at the 2.

Moss is definitely the X-factor. We need him to take a big leap next year.

I'd add Dailey is a Wild Card. I've heard good things but we certainly haven't seen it yet. He could get minutes at the 3, 2, and maybe 1?

Agree with the Moss takes. Fran won't be able to afford to bench him for crazy long stretches next yr. So how he plays during his 25 plus mins a game he'll be getting will be huge. He won't be averaging over 30 like Jbo and Jok were most of the year down the stretch but the 12-16 mins a game won't cut it.
CM will play more of a backup pg than 2 guard I bet. I see him as having a Jeff Horner type of game. Which wouldn't be a terrible thing by any means off the bench. He won't be dynamic at any one thing but he'll be solid at running the offense and hopefully not turning the ball over. While plenty capable of hitting he open 3. We might see him and Jbo on the court at the same time for stretches that let's Jbo play off the ball some. I really like the different combinations that Fran will have to play with. I just think Moss is the ultimate X factor. Having to rely on Ellingson for big mins is just asking for trouble...

These rumors usually have legs more often than not. If Williams does leave, Dailey might be an option at the point. Fran has said that he could use Ellingson. I can't see Fran being able to promise a high quality point guard or transfer a lot of minutes next year with Bohannon around. What is of more interest to me is how good Garza and Nunge are. Their should be a lot of interest in the Prime Time League. I doubt either Garza or Nunge will get very many minutes in their European trip this summer.
Are true freshmen allowed to make the summer trip? I know they normally play in the primetime league but I'm not sure about a trip.

Also I think everyone needs to bring down the expectations of Garza and Nuggets a little. We all had big expectations for Woodbury and it set him up to fail. It takes time for most big men to compete at the BIG level. I don't expect any of the newcomers to start or play 20 to 25 mins per game even at the end of the year. Too many bodies with more experience ahead of them.

It needs to. I don't understand the Jones love

I'm not sure what this response is for. First off, my post didn't give Jones love. And secondly, if he does leave, all it does is give Connor a scholarship. Why do you care if they have Connor walk on so Jones can finish up his career here?

I think Garza and Nunge both have much better offensive skills then Woodbury had coming out of high school. Just my opinion from video I've seen.

Uhl will back up the point. Have you seen how fast he is?
I assume this was posted in jest but I think this would be a possibility. Uhl , maybe due to lack of confidence, has become a pass first player and does not even look to shoot. He has looked good in our high/low set re feeding the post. If you go back and look at some of Iowa's game film, Uhl has looked good bringing the ball up against pressure. Certainly see him playing the point at times.
Re the incoming freshmen, pretty sure they cannot be included on the preseason trip.

Are true freshmen allowed to make the summer trip? I know they normally play in the primetime league but I'm not sure about a trip.

When the Women went to Italy 2 tears ago the freshmen went and played (except Tania Davis who went but didn't play because of injury). I assume it would be the same for the men.

I don't see how fans set Woodbury up for failure...he started four years and at the end hadn't developed post moves, a signature move, or shot...

Kriener isn't afraid to shoot the mid range jumper...a big plus. But...he needs to get much stronger...lots of time and upside if he works at it 24/7 which I would guess he will do. If he can remain "content" to come off the bench he could be a real plus for the team in the future.

CW is a likely candidate to move on...I don't see it being a big loss...struggled to finish at the rim in spite of his "length" wasn't a good shooter or a confident shooter, a defensive stopper who had about zero blocks this past year...if he leaves, more minutes for others with more upside...wish him well if he leaves.

I am kind of ambivalent on Moss right now...some potential but wild, lots of air balls,

Latest posts