Where is all the love??

Winning a home game against Michigan doesn't change the fact that we do not have a PG, continue to have lapses (collapses) on D, a childish coach who thinks that motivation comes from yelling and screaming like a petulant little child, inexplicable losses against generally inferior teams, and an inability to MAKE the NCAA tournament.

Did you see the stats they were throwing up on the screen about this years 2nd half meltdowns?

Did you watch when Iowa was up 15 about 6 minutes into the 2nd half and then let Michigan pull within 5 without even a timeout called? In 6 minutes of clock we went from up 15 to up 5 and got bailed out by our C hitting a clutch 3-point shot. o_O

So no, the season is not saved and Fran still hasn't figured out how to actually coach or recruit. He did great after the crater that was left from alford and Lackluster but let's not kid ourselves.

Who are the inferior teams Iowa has lost to this year? Wisconsin? Purdue? Michigan State? Minnesota? Those teams are combined 66-22 and all but Minnesota are ahead of Iowa in the conference standings. Minnesota is tied with Iowa in the standings.

Did you watch when Iowa went on a 21-2 run in the first half? Or how Iowa responded every time Michigan tried to come back? You must have missed those, or just choose not to acknowledge them.

As of now, and with the weakest schedule in the Big Ten left Iowa is ranked 16th and probably a 5-7 seed in the dance They certainly could collapse (last year's team would have) but that isn't likely with this group. Unless you are the one who was pushing the false narrative that Fran's Iowa teams always collapse late in the season?

I don't think he was but he did exist. He was known for his curly blond perm. Look up team pictures of the 1979 or 1980 teams and he's in them. And now I'm going to really confuse you. Kevin did have a younger brother Bryan who played in '83 and '84 for the Hawks before transferring out. There were a lot of Boyles there for a few years

Greg Boyle was fun to watch when he did play. I think he injured both knees. Reminded me of the grad transfer into Drake this year who injured his knee again. That kids dad would have played with Greg Boyle.

This place is for negativity only. The activity would have tripled with a loss to Michigan. I don't seem to get it either. People are still complaining after that win. People are ripping Marble.

MICHIGAN IS REALLY GOOD. WE WON. BE HAPPY FOR A DAY!

Misery loves company. The negative posters are often times a certain type of personality that are often louder and more outspoken than positive posters. I happen to be a positive posters who shares a ton of traits with the more dominant type of personality that thrives in negatives. It's why I rub a lot of them wrong. The best part is I do it with a smile on my face and I work hard not to get into the mud with them. When Iowa does great in football or basketball, this places popularity drops a ton but it's my favorite time to be here. I call it the "Golden Hour" - where Hawk fans can discuss and cheer on their team without being told every 10 seconds that it's not ok.

Please never judge a fan base by the nut cases who hang out on this board. Iowa is enjoying a terrific season. John Beilein said it best: "Iowa is a great team."

Always remember that this is a free board. 50% of the negative posts are Cyclone fans masquerading as Iowa fans. On the Cyclone board, it is monitored closely and they quickly eliminate the negative posters. Here, almost anything is allowed. I don't have a big problem with the negativity, but you cannot take it seriously.

Iowa is enjoying a fabulous bounce back season, and Fran will be a candidate for coach of the year, according to the experts on the Big Ten Network.

Clone fans gonna hate, no matter what.

I would add that Iowa now has a realistic chance of making the NCAA tournament. That would be a MONUMENTAL achievement for this still very young team.

Please never judge a fan base by the nut cases who hang out on this board. Iowa is enjoying a terrific season. John Beilein said it best: "Iowa is a great team."

Always remember that this is a free board. 50% of the negative posts are Cyclone fans masquerading as Iowa fans. On the Cyclone board, it is monitored closely and they quickly eliminate the negative posters. Here, almost anything is allowed. I don't have a big problem with the negativity, but you cannot take it seriously.

Iowa is enjoying a fabulous bounce back season, and Fran will be a candidate for coach of the year, according to the experts on the Big Ten Network.

Clone fans gonna hate, no matter what.

I don't think it's that simple. Most of our staunchest critics are in fact dedicated and impassioned fans of Iowa. They maybe inclined to a negative perspective. In matters of football I tend to disagree and combat the criticism and negativity. Basketball on the other hand, has a valid reason for skepticism.

I am tickled that we are actually a respectable basketball team this year. I for one have always envisioned this level of success for this roster. I envisioned this season the last 2 years as well. Alas the last 2 years have been utter gut punches. It is only natural for ones instinctual pessimism to kick in for situations like Iowa basketball finds itself in.

I believe that Fran has earned his salary to date this season. However there are games left to play and midseason results mean nothing as we know all too well. It is impossible in this moment for me to find faith in results that have mostly been missing before. I root for wins and momentum, but I fear the other foot to fall. This will not be eased by any particular victory. It can only be conquered by actually breaking the late season fall off trend (real or precieved).

I am thankful that we are at least in a position to prove something. We should be able to fill a bag of Doritos from the chips that should be on each of these players shoulders. Fran needs to tap into this and use it to feed the beast. Kirk is a master at this. Maybe the 2 should meet.

This place is for negativity only. The activity would have tripled with a loss to Michigan. I don't seem to get it either. People are still complaining after that win. People are ripping Marble.

MICHIGAN IS REALLY GOOD. WE WON. BE HAPPY FOR A DAY!
People weren't ripping Marble, they were ripping the lack of grammar in his tweet (which, by the way, is common with many tweets) My post earlier in this thread commended a handful of hawk players, including Marble, for sticking with Iowa through the toughest times since pre Lute. When I want to rip the program, it is usually in reference to last year when they were bad and didn't play hard. And a bad time to extend the head coach. I am disappointed that the last three decades, in general, haven't measured up to the previous three but hopeful that the next three decades will reverse the trend. By the end of that run it will be time for me to check into that hardwood in the sky anyway.

70+ here. I enjoyed Iowa playing well vs a good Michigan team. I'm hoping Iowa can be in the top 4 at the end of the regular season. Iowa has the easiest schedule of the teams above them for the 4th spot. Minnesota has 6 tough games left and Maryland 5. Wisconsin has 4 tough games left. Iowa only two. When I say tough I mean games against teams currently above Iowa in the standings.

I am critical of McCaffery's substitution practices, but I still will always watch the games.
I'm not suggesting we can pass Michigan in the standings. That's not going to happen. But they play Michigan State twice. They play Maryland twice. They play 1 at Minnesota and have a home game with Wisconsin. I think they have the toughest schedule down the stretch of anyone. That's brutal. Throw the Iowa game in there and their last 10 had 7 games they could lose...already lost 1.

Agreed. Beat the teams they should and it's a pretty dang good season. Another late season collapse won't sit well.
Fran's record at Iowa is actually better in the 2nd half of the conference season than the 1st half. The rough finishes are just easier to remember. I think we won our last 4 two years ago and our last 6 White's senior year.

Fran's record at Iowa is actually better in the 2nd half of the conference season than the 1st half. The rough finishes are just easier to remember. I think we won our last 4 two years ago and our last 6 White's senior year.

I think it's a combination of the couple of year end collapses that are easier to remember and the lack of success in the BTT that makes it seem like Fran's teams always fade in the second half. If they can put together a nice run in the BTT and/or even better, the NCAA, the whole perception of the program changes.

Minnesota is going to turn it on in February. Their schedule sets up for them and they're healthy, deep and experienced. That loss isn't going to look as bad a month from now.
We'll disagree here. I have Minnesota at a maximum of 11 conference wins...probably 10. But it's still not a bad loss.

Doesn't exist. In a "play in game" the 4 teams would not be getting the same money as the teams in the "real" games.

Lol I don't get why people try and bash the "First Four" and call it a play in game that doesn't count... I mean they count. VCU isn't giving back their Final Four. La Salle, Tennessee, & Syracuse(pending any future investigations :D) are not going to give back their Sweet 16s.

Lol I don't get why people try and bash the "First Four" and call it a play in game that doesn't count... I mean they count. VCU isn't giving back their Final Four. La Salle, Tennessee, & Syracuse(pending any future investigations :D) are not going to give back their Sweet 16s.
I love those games. It allows 4 more teams that should be in the field to play...without taking away 4 spots from the bottom tier automatic qualifier conferences.

We'll disagree here. I have Minnesota at a maximum of 11 conference wins...probably 10. But it's still not a bad loss.
I underestimated Minnesota's second half schedule. They still have a date in East Lansing and finish the conference at Maryland. Ouch.

They will be tough to beat in the barn, like they always are. But I think, after further consideration, that we have an easier schedule down the stretch.

This is the only thing that confuses me - they had a very, very, very realistic chance of making the tournament before the michigan game, and had a very, very, very realistic chance of making the tourney even if they lost. People should have been happy with this team regardless. I have some theories of why people are still dogging Fran but I honestly don't understand why.
I have two major issues with him that won't be fixed this year even if we advance to the final four. His record in close games and his record as a higher seed in the conference tournament. Combined, these factors have cost us at least two NCAA bids and hurt our seeding in years we have qualified.

I have good things to say about him too but that's for another post.

Fran deserves a lot of credit. He pushed the right buttons all night.

Wiescamp and Garza both picked up two early fouls. Fran sat Garza the rest the half but reinserted Joe. It was the right move both times. Putting Connor on Simpson when we did go man was another good move, as was spotting Cook's minutes late.

here is a comparison: Google the coach/name and angry and see what comes up. Quite a comparison.
wn4E3OcUGNSQH0jrTuuVgHeWwHm3nd8oNMsE7-JURi0.gif

FaintDeliciousAustraliancurlew-max-1mb.gif
tenor.gif

836845605.gif

richard-pitino-angry-eyes-against-iowa.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts