Where is all the love??

I'll get excited when it's in the NCAA tournament.............and the play in game doesn't count

Whatever you do, don't enjoy the present. lol.

Seriously, you didn't get excited when Iowa beat one of the best teams in the country this week?

Winning a home game against Michigan doesn't change the fact that we do not have a PG, continue to have lapses (collapses) on D, a childish coach who thinks that motivation comes from yelling and screaming like a petulant little child, inexplicable losses against generally inferior teams, and an inability to MAKE the NCAA tournament.

Did you see the stats they were throwing up on the screen about this years 2nd half meltdowns?

Did you watch when Iowa was up 15 about 6 minutes into the 2nd half and then let Michigan pull within 5 without even a timeout called? In 6 minutes of clock we went from up 15 to up 5 and got bailed out by our C hitting a clutch 3-point shot. o_O

So no, the season is not saved and Fran still hasn't figured out how to actually coach or recruit. He did great after the crater that was left from alford and Lackluster but let's not kid ourselves.
Other teams make runs. Thats why they were ranked where they were. Very seldom do you you see complete linear domination in a game, especially against a team of Michigan's caliber.

We weathered the storm and finished strong and Fran's coaching had a lot to do with that. In Fridays game and others I haven't seen signs of the monumental February collapses of other years. This team has hiccups, then bounces back. They make clutch plays, whether it was JBo late against Nebraska and Northwestern or Wiescamp's offensive rebound against Penn State or your self admitted three by Garza to stem the tide you were talking about. Uthoff wouldn't have made that shot in that spot. Hell, he probably wouldn't have attempted it.

70+ here. I enjoyed Iowa playing well vs a good Michigan team. I'm hoping Iowa can be in the top 4 at the end of the regular season. Iowa has the easiest schedule of the teams above them for the 4th spot. Minnesota has 6 tough games left and Maryland 5. Wisconsin has 4 tough games left. Iowa only two. When I say tough I mean games against teams currently above Iowa in the standings.

I am critical of McCaffery's substitution practices, but I still will always watch the games.
He has subbed a lot less this year, partially out of necessity. With Cook unavailable for Northwestern and Kriener sideways that night he basically went with six men the last fifteen minutes of that game.

Whatever you do, don't enjoy the present. lol.

Seriously, you didn't get excited when Iowa beat one of the best teams in the country this week?

Yeah, I just don't get this. If you don't get any enjoyment out of sports, why even watch the games? As I keep saying, I'm not a Fran guy, but I root like hell for him and the team. I love watching Iowa football and basketball and I enjoy it when they are winning and playing well.

I hate to say it but personally I expected a slaughter. I chose to attend my daughter's school function instead of watching. I have never been more disappointed to miss a live game. At least I DVR'd it.
Like the passion but you don't miss a daughter's school function over a game, especially with DVR. My kids are 21,18 and 15 and nothing disappoints (disappointed) them more than when my wife or myself cannot attend their functions or games.

It was a great win and it was nice to see the team stay consistent in the second half. Sure, Michigan went on a mini-run at one point to narrow the lead, but the Hawks fought right back and quickly made the lead double digits again. That type of resilience is something a lot of Fran teams have been missing for whatever reason. Our 5 losses are against #6 MSU (x2), @ #17 Purdue, #24 Wisconsin, and at unranked Minnesota. Only the Minnesota game can be argued as a "bad" loss, but even that was on the road in a venue where we historically struggle for some reason. Iowa has thus far avoided the true "bad" losses that have plagued past Fran teams. Hopefully the team can keep it going and take care of business like they've shown they're capable of doing!
Minnesota is going to turn it on in February. Their schedule sets up for them and they're healthy, deep and experienced. That loss isn't going to look as bad a month from now.

I can't see Moss leaving. Cook could probably play in Europe, but Moss would play for a low level European team at best. He's better off just playing his senior season at Iowa and seeing what happens after that. I could see Dailey leaving if he'd prefer to get more minutes at a D2 school, but he gets PT now so not sure he would leave either.
He may not get as much PT next year when Pemsl, Nunge and Frederick come back and Patrick and Joe T come in. He may get the Uhl role as a senior. Good possibility. He has lost all semblance of aggressiveness on offense and didn't have a lot to start.

I predicted a breakout year for Dailey and that was before injuries and redshirts. I was wrong in every way. I don't recall him being at the free throw line in any B1G game this season.

By far, the best game atmosphere I've been to at Carver (going to games for 4 years). Not only from the crowd but the music & in game announcer were improved. Loved it!

We were eating after the game & heard another table full of QTips complaining about people standing. Good job Hawkeye fans! When the Qtips are complaining, its a good crowd.

Let's keep it up, Go Hawks!
Good they can stop coming. And we can fill the lower bowl with students. And remove three or four rows of seats about ten rows up all the way around the lower bowl, install a wide walkway, and let those below that walkway stand the whole game. Let's those above it sit.

Good they can stop coming. And we can fill the lower bowl with students. And remove three or four rows of seats about ten rows up all the way around the lower bowl, install a wide walkway, and let those below that walkway stand the whole game. Let's those above it sit.

Hell with it. Take out all the seats. Standing room only. Lower the ticket prices 10 bucks and start selling beer. The place would be a true home court advantage, but also probably pretty dangerous. I bet the U would make the same or higher profits though.

Hell with it. Take out all the seats. Standing room only. Lower the ticket prices 10 bucks and start selling beer. The place would be a true home court advantage, but also probably pretty dangerous. I bet the U would make the same or higher profits though.
Ever see Mackey Arena empty? About 90-95% bleachers. Like a huge high school gymnasium. Never been to a game there but I've heard it's loud and crazy.

I don't need to see "drunk Elvis." The sober one is more than enough.:p

Ever see Mackey Arena empty? About 90-95% bleachers. Like a huge high school gymnasium. Never been to a game there but I've heard it's loud and crazy.

There are usually multiple ways to skin a cat. I'm just spit balling what I think might work for Iowa.

Purdue will always have a basketball edge. It's Indiana. They breathe basketball.

I unfortunately had to miss the Michigan game and was quite sad about that as it was an amazing and thrilling game if u bleed black and gold.

I got nothing but love for the Hawk players and coaches and congratulate them on putting together the Friday night masterpiece.

Really good medicine for fans, players and coaches. Accelerate down the stretch Hawkeyenation and enjoy the ride.

Frankly, I am amazed that Fran has tied Lute Olson for 2nd in all time wins! Lute Olson is far and away my all time favorite coach at Iowa. To tie Lute, and eventually passing him for number two all time I find incredible. Lute had some amazing teams. Let’s hope that Fran can make it to a Final Four someday. But nobody is ever gonna replace Lute Olson in my heart.

Winning a home game against Michigan doesn't change the fact that we do not have a PG, continue to have lapses (collapses) on D, a childish coach who thinks that motivation comes from yelling and screaming like a petulant little child, inexplicable losses against generally inferior teams, and an inability to MAKE the NCAA tournament.

Did you see the stats they were throwing up on the screen about this years 2nd half meltdowns?

Did you watch when Iowa was up 15 about 6 minutes into the 2nd half and then let Michigan pull within 5 without even a timeout called? In 6 minutes of clock we went from up 15 to up 5 and got bailed out by our C hitting a clutch 3-point shot. o_O

So no, the season is not saved and Fran still hasn't figured out how to actually coach or recruit. He did great after the crater that was left from alford and Lackluster but let's not kid ourselves.

Yawn...

Frankly, I am amazed that Fran has tied Lute Olson for 2nd in all time wins! Lute Olson is far and away my all time favorite coach at Iowa. To tie Lute, and eventually passing him for number two all time I find incredible. Lute had some amazing teams. Let’s hope that Fran can make it to a Final Four someday. But nobody is ever gonna replace Lute Olson in my heart.
That 1980 team was an easy one to root for. None were blue chippers, except for Lester and possibly Krafciscin. The injury bug was everywhere. Lester, Greg Boyle, Mark Gannon and Tree Henry had knee problems (G. Boyle was basically hurt his whole career which is why few have heard of him) Kenny Arnold was playing with a broken shooting hand. Bobby Hansen had a deep thumb bruise. Krafciscin with a deep thigh bruise.

They were able to get about sixty percent of Ronnie Lester back for senior day against Illinois and the tournament run, which was enough to make everyone else better. You know the rest. And they did it basically with a seven man rotation. Vince Brookins, who came off the bench as recently as the tournament opener, went on the type of shooting streak that can carry a team in March. Everyone played with heart and determination. Even Billy Packer and Al McGuire eventually got on board. It was an easy team to root for. And why those guys, to this day, get treated like royalty in Iowa City.

That 1980 team was an easy one to root for. None were blue chippers, except for Lester and possibly Krafciscin. The injury bug was everywhere. Lester, Greg Boyle, Mark Gannon and Tree Henry had knee problems (G. Boyle was basically hurt his whole career which is why few have heard of him) Kenny Arnold was playing with a broken shooting hand. Bobby Hansen had a deep thumb bruise. Krafciscin with a deep thigh bruise.

They were able to get about sixty percent of Ronnie Lester back for senior day against Illinois and the tournament run, which was enough to make everyone else better. You know the rest. And they did it basically with a seven man rotation. Vince Brookins, who came off the bench as recently as the tournament opener, went on the type of shooting streak that can carry a team in March. Everyone played with heart and determination. Even Billy Packer and Al McGuire eventually got on board. It was an easy team to root for. And why those guys, to this day, get treated like royalty in Iowa City.
Greg Boyle? Was that Kevin's brother or are one of us confused, cause you are right, I don't remember him.

Every time I think of Kevin Boyle I can't help but recall his "phantom foul" by infamous Ref Jim Bain and the expression on his face when he was told he was guilty of the foul.

There's a blast from the past!

That would make it more like the Breslin Center. I've said we should do this kind of a remodel for about 5 years now. Keep the "blue hairs" happy because they can sit the whole game. Keep the students happy because they can stand and yell the whole game.

Greg Boyle? Was that Kevin's brother or are one of us confused, cause you are right, I don't remember him.
I don't think he was but he did exist. He was known for his curly blond perm. Look up team pictures of the 1979 or 1980 teams and he's in them. And now I'm going to really confuse you. Kevin did have a younger brother Bryan who played in '83 and '84 for the Hawks before transferring out. There were a lot of Boyles there for a few years

Latest posts