What level of incompetence does Brian Ferentz have to exhibit to be fired?

Same thing as last year. I see our offense as being worse. No Wadley to make a big play. The reason things got going when Young came in is because he can actually read a block, and NIU was simply worn out. Their defense was on the field the entire game. Our passing game is brutal. There is simply no talent at receiver. Stanley was inaccurate most of the day, and once again doesn't exhibit much pocket awareness. I see our defense struggling with the new lbs against any decent offense. Hopefully they will be good enough to keep us in some games because the offense isn't going to put up many points.
You would be well advised to re-watch the game and test your conclusions.

No denying the 1st half offense was pathetic, but there were also a few holds that negated almost every big play Iowa had. Not to mention the drops...holy sh*t the drops. Seems our WR's still suck.

Was it ever explained why Sargent got 7 carries in the first half and Toren Young got 0? I thought Toren looked like the best back out there, and didnt see a lot from Sargent

Since we’re at it, can we take back the cut block that negated the big run by IKM or how about the drop by Fant. Or how about when the coaches brought in the 2nd unit defense and allowed NIU to score. The score could have easily been 47 to 0. Love the what if’s.
If you watched the first half (did you?) we were very lucky to have any lead at all. We had several 3 and outs and things looked bad for the Hawks. The penaties went both ways, the Huskies had a drive stalled by a terrible pass interference call and another by a incredible tackle/sack by Iowa. I'm sorry for being honest, how's this. Iowa won by a lot so they deserve to be ranked in the top 10. I see no problems on this team and they should go undefeated. No need to work on anything. Better?

Its kinda comical that so many people think the BF has so much influence on how the offense does. This is Kirk's offense fellas. If you're not happy about it, place the blame where it belongs. Brian is simply the "yes" man.

For those of you that doubt that, rewatch the closing minutes of the game when NIU was calling timeouts. Even in that situation where you just run the clock out until you can kneel on it, Brian was still checking in and asking Kirk what to do.
Agree 102%. Offense runs tru HC. It is quite obvious the 'HC' Sad but true.Not fun anymore. Still respect the Tough Hawk Players.GoHawks!

What I have gathered in this thread:

--Good runs against a tired team shouldn't count
--Drops on deep balls, or poor hand/body placement on same, lie at the feet of the coach or the QB

What I gathered on my own while watching the game:
--Toren Young is our best back. And that may change next week. Correction: that will change from week to wek. But yesterday, for certain, TY was our best back
--Peyton Mansell is "ready" should anything happen to Nate Stanley.
All this, and it's not like time of possession was overwhelmingly in our favor.

I think it was around 34-26 in our favor.

Some make it sound like NIU's defense was on the field all afternoon.

Really? I thought it was the coordinators who were responsible for identifying and recruiting talent, and setting practice schedules and routines to help execute better.

Silly me.

Fire Brian Ferentz over one game?

Silly me.

If you want to see terrible playcalling watch the Florida State Va Tech game replay.

I could in fact do better than those clowns.

If you watched the first half (did you?) we were very lucky to have any lead at all. We had several 3 and outs and things looked bad for the Hawks. The penaties went both ways, the Huskies had a drive stalled by a terrible pass interference call and another by a incredible tackle/sack by Iowa. I'm sorry for being honest, how's this. Iowa won by a lot so they deserve to be ranked in the top 10. I see no problems on this team and they should go undefeated. No need to work on anything. Better?

I did watched the first half and if you go back and rewatch it you realize that luck goes both ways. If Iowa was lucky to have the lead one can easily make the argument that NIU was lucky to only trail by 3. You pointed out some plays that went Iowa’s way. I simply pointed out the plays that went NIU’s way. There are 4 quarters in a football game. More time than not the better team that day finds a way to win.

Last edited:
I did watched the first half and if you go back and rewatched it you realize that luck goes both ways. If Iowa was lucky to have the lead one can easily make the argument that NIU was lucky to only trail by 3. You pointed out some plays that went Iowa’s way. I simply pointed out the plays that went NIU’s way. There are 4 quarters in a football game. More time than not the better team that day finds a way to win.

Indeed. You play to win the game you're in right now, not some game down the road. By the time the fourth quarter came around, it was clear to both teams that the way Iowa was going to win THIS game was by running it through NIU's increasingly demoralized defense. They couldn't stop it, Iowa knew they couldn't stop it, and that was that.

Iowa dominated and trashed the MAC favorite 33-7 with 3-4 starters being out. Iowa has lost games like this in previous years and people are still pissed. Love it! Go Hawks!
This was my general take away. Iowa loses plenty of games. If I'm going to be pissed off when we win because its not juicy enough, I'm going to be pretty miserable. We won, we crushed the spread, in reality, we played one bad half of football. If you take that second half twice we look awesome.

I don't think I'm seeing what you're seeing. There's no controversy. Mansell's the starter from here on out.

Not adding to any controversy or anything, but I've been waiting to see Mansell play as the young man is just a gamer. He's seem to have an uphill battle at about every level in football playing QB and always has shined when he got his chance. He just has that moxy to him.

Last edited:
11/23 for 101 yards passing is sorry. Solid win for the Hawks but I’m sick of talented qbs having that stat line at Iowa.

And that's not going to help his draft status at all. Nothing better than 3rd round anyway. If they can't give him a game plan to get up into the 200-225 range, they are doing him an injustice. They need a more balanced offensive game.

Latest posts