What level of incompetence does Brian Ferentz have to exhibit to be fired?

We won today, so not complaining. But according to this board, no coach should ever be fired because it’s all the players fault for poor execution. Yep, totally not the coaching staff’s fault that Iowa has had a sub 100 ranked offense for the last however many years. All on the players for “poor execution” year in and year out. Oh, that’s right, the players also recruit themselves to the school. Not the coaching staffs fault we’ve had sub par talent at WR. Darn those players! The guys making millions/thousands of dollars are just victims here. Don’t ever hold them accountable.

Last edited:
I expected this kinda of game from the get go. We’ve got a lot of new players out there and couple that with first game jitters. I knew they were gonna come out slow, but as the game went on they made adjustments and ended up winning going away. Many were predicting a close game or even a loss. I now feel better about the ISU game. Their game against SDST was cancelled and they havent went thru their pregame jitters yet, no less they have to start out their first game on the road in a hostile environment. If the Hawks can jump on them early, we can go 2-0!

The play where you throw 20 yards to the sideline in hopes of a 3 yard gain whilst inviting a Pick 6 needs to be culled from the playbook. That is a horribly designed play that even if perfectly executed is worth exactly jack shit.

PURGE IT
No, it's a great play, you just have to put a lot of air under it and throw it on a really high arc so that our all world wide receivers can outjump the defensive backs for it.

Iowa dominated and trashed the MAC favorite 33-7 with 3-4 starters being out. Iowa has lost games like this in previous years and people are still pissed. Love it! Go Hawks!
The difference between this game and similar games in years past is that this year we have a legit 2 deep d-line that smothered them and the LBs made plays week 1. Phil Parker gets the game ball.

Comments...

BF will never be fired or replaced by pops. High odds, however, that he replaces pops.

LOL that fans think the QB at Iowa will improve year to year.

Iowa is going to be one of the great teams this year that has little to no WR threat.

I watched the first half, golfed the second half. Nice win!

The difference between this game and similar games in years past is that this year we have a legit 2 deep d-line that smothered them and the LBs made plays week 1. Phil Parker gets the game ball.

The defense is always ahead of the offense it seems anyway. I also think that Iowa did not break out much of the play book and why would they need to. They had the game in hand and were running all over them the second half. My biggest concern is some of the drops and the play of Brandon Smith. I hope he improves and had some jitters but his routes were garbage and he is letting the ball get to his body. I remember them talking about how big and strong his hands were he needs to use them. We saw no screen game and no deep ball I think that will change next week

The playcalling was awful. The heat and a relentless defensive line wore them out and we got some big runs in the second half on a tired D line. The offense continues to run like an old broken down tractor. There is just no offensive rythem in the playcalling. Why does Iowa seem unable to perform simple plays such as screens, passes to the flat, and worst, our wides never seem to be open. We were better in the second, but the draw on 3 and 15, the 4th and one dive from 5 yards deep, what kind of calls are these? I could go on about the sloppy play but why pile on. When Kirk steps down I hope Phil Parker gets his shot at head coach, more deserving than Brien.
Hmm, I think that would be because Iowa’s eligible receivers not named Hockenson didn’t show up until after halftime. If not for shit ball skills we would be praising the offensive game plan.

11/23 for 101 yards passing is sorry. Solid win for the Hawks but I’m sick of talented qbs having that stat line at Iowa.
Well, Kirk is usually the one to open it wide open on offense the first game of the season. It usually gives him a chance to show the other teams how we attack with a vertical passing game and any new wrinkles we may have. If you remember, that game look eerily like Wyoming last year for Stanley and he was a similar awful today in the first half...and his receivers didn't help him.

Positives - We protected well, even when they brought pressure...with two back up tackles. NIU had alot of talent back from a good team last year on both sides of the line of scrimmage. Iowa wore them down with two back up tackles...that don't have near the size that our starters do. All good. We have considerable depth on the offensive line.

Last edited:
The play where you throw 20 yards to the sideline in hopes of a 3 yard gain whilst inviting a Pick 6 needs to be culled from the playbook. That is a horribly designed play that even if perfectly executed is worth exactly jack shit.

PURGE IT

The defense is always ahead of the offense it seems anyway.
Yeah, but this defense seemed to be ahead of a lot of other defenses we've had. I don't want to jinx the team or anything, but this was as good of a performance in an opener against a good team bince the Miami of Ohio game in 2003 where the defense shut down Roethlisberger. Our LBs were fundamentally sound in pass coverage and they stayed home against those misdirections and jet sweeps. Of course, the good d-line had a big assist, but this defense looks pretty damned good so far. This should be at least an 8 win team set to springboard to a really special 2019.

Yeah, but this defense seemed to be ahead of a lot of other defenses we've had. I don't want to jinx the team or anything, but this was as good of a performance in an opener against a good team bince the Miami of Ohio game in 2003 where the defense shut down Roethlisberger. Our LBs were fundamentally sound in pass coverage and they stayed home against those misdirections and jet sweeps. Of course, the good d-line had a big assist, but this defense looks pretty damned good so far. This should be at least an 8 win team set to springboard to a really special 2019.
When Niemann blew up that jet sweep on fourth down, it turned the game around. NIU was picking us apart early and their RB's were getting to the second level.

It's easy to say it now but I thought that was a very arrogant decision to go for it in the first place. There would have been no shame in pinning us deep. It was the equivalent of Phil Mickelson going for green and finding the deep rough when he should have laid up.

Same thing as last year. I see our offense as being worse. No Wadley to make a big play. The reason things got going when Young came in is because he can actually read a block, and NIU was simply worn out. Their defense was on the field the entire game. Our passing game is brutal. There is simply no talent at receiver. Stanley was inaccurate most of the day, and once again doesn't exhibit much pocket awareness. I see our defense struggling with the new lbs against any decent offense. Hopefully they will be good enough to keep us in some games because the offense isn't going to put up many points.

Well, Kirk is usually the one to open it wide open on offense the first game of the season. It usually gives him a chance to show the other teams how we attack with a vertical passing game and any new wrinkles we may have. If you remember, that game look eerily like Wyoming last year for Stanley and he was a similar awful today in the first half...and his receivers didn't help him.

Positives - We protected well, even when they brought pressure...with two back up tackles. NIU had alot of talent back from a good team last year on both sides of the line of scrimmage. Iowa wore them down with two back up tackles...that don't have near the size that our starters do. All good. We have considerable depth on the offensive line.
The difference from Wyoming was last year Iowa played an all-american at QB, this year they faced a freshman. Take back the unforced Int., two missed chip field goals, and Iowa should have been down at the minimum, 9 to 3 at half. I saw a lot of good stuff in the second half. I guess I was sucked in by the hype that Stanley would look the part of an all Big Ten QB, not be outplayed by a freshman. Let me reset my expectations and just be happy to beat a MAC school at home.

The difference from Wyoming was last year Iowa played an all-american at QB, this year they faced a freshman. Take back the unforced Int., two missed chip field goals, and Iowa should have been down at the minimum, 9 to 3 at half. I saw a lot of good stuff in the second half. I guess I was sucked in by the hype that Stanley would look the part of an all Big Ten QB, not be outplayed by a freshman. Let me reset my expectations and just be happy to beat a MAC school at home.

The NIU QB is a sophomore, and was the MAC offensive freshman of the year last year.

The int wasn't unforced, Iowa had some pressure from a blitz (Hockaday did not get home, but he clogged a passing lane and caused the QB to scramble). The QB thought he had something, but Hooker had great coverage.

NIU's first FG was a chip shot. But if you are going to take away their miss, can we also take away the blocked punt that led to it?

NIU's second FG was 50 yards into the wind.

Not only did we beat a MAC team at home, we covered the spread by +16. Many 2nd stringers got in and got experience. We played 7 OL with the first unit, and they all seemed solid. We are legit 9 deep next week when our OT return. There are probably as many Fr and So in the 2-deep as there have ever been under KF. You can take a pessimistic view if you want, but things look a lot sunnier from where I am sitting.

What I have gathered in this thread:

--Good runs against a tired team shouldn't count
--Drops on deep balls, or poor hand/body placement on same, lie at the feet of the coach or the QB

What I gathered on my own while watching the game:
--Toren Young is our best back. And that may change next week. Correction: that will change from week to wek. But yesterday, for certain, TY was our best back
--Peyton Mansell is "ready" should anything happen to Nate Stanley.

Stanley will be fine. He had a few off throws, but keep in mind that the route running wasn't exactly stellar. Accuracy is only as good as the timing can make it. I'm not necessarily letting the coaches off the hook, though. It's their job to ensure that the timing is right.

Speaking of route running, Smith is exactly the same player as last season. I posted my concerns about him last season and when I watched his tape as a recruit, and I still see the same player. He lacks suddenness, and rounds off and/or hesitates in his cuts, and that's the kiss of death for a QB. He's the classic "Look like Tarzan. Play like Jane..." player. Obviously, there's plenty of time, but he needs to grow up and step it up.

Latest posts