What level of incompetence does Brian Ferentz have to exhibit to be fired?

The NIU QB is a sophomore, and was the MAC offensive freshman of the year last year.

The int wasn't unforced, Iowa had some pressure from a blitz (Hockaday did not get home, but he clogged a passing lane and caused the QB to scramble). The QB thought he had something, but Hooker had great coverage.

NIU's first FG was a chip shot. But if you are going to take away their miss, can we also take away the blocked punt that led to it?

NIU's second FG was 50 yards into the wind.

Not only did we beat a MAC team at home, we covered the spread by +16. Many 2nd stringers got in and got experience. We played 7 OL with the first unit, and they all seemed solid. We are legit 9 deep next week when our OT return. There are probably as many Fr and So in the 2-deep as there have ever been under KF. You can take a pessimistic view if you want, but things look a lot sunnier from where I am sitting.
Sorry two NIU fans told me he was a freshman. Thought they would know their own team. I'm not pessimistic about this team's chances of being good and winning games, I'm just disappointed the offense wasn't sharper. We would not have beaten NW, Iowa State, or Purdue on this day in my opinion, but we were good enough to beat NIU so that's the important take away I guess. On the INT the QB had min. pressure, time to go through his progressions, then just decided to pass it to a covered receiver. Up to that point he was playing a very good game but that one looked "unforced" to me, more like a brainfart.

Last edited:
This game did nothing to change my expectations for this season one way or the other. It looked a lot like the season opener from any given year.

Just very little firepower through the air and it looks to be the "three yards and a cloud of dust" style of offense and relying on the D to win the game.

Just gonna be pretty hard to ever win more than the usual 7-8 games in a season with that formula IMHO.

Last edited:
We won today, so not complaining. But according to this board, no coach should ever be fired because it’s all the players fault for poor execution. Yep, totally not the coaching staff’s fault that Iowa has had a sub 100 ranked offense for the last however many years. All on the players for “poor execution” year in and year out. Oh, that’s right, the players also recruit themselves to the school. Not the coaching staffs fault we’ve had sub par talent at WR. Darn those players! The guys making millions/thousands of dollars are just victims here. Don’t ever hold them accountable.

Kind of extreme viewpoint on a coach who has hasn't had a losing season in 5 year's. I guess a lot of people think that is a given at Iowa. Illinois and Nebraska have thought this way before too.

Same thing as last year. I see our offense as being worse. No Wadley to make a big play. The reason things got going when Young came in is because he can actually read a block, and NIU was simply worn out. Their defense was on the field the entire game. Our passing game is brutal. There is simply no talent at receiver. Stanley was inaccurate most of the day, and once again doesn't exhibit much pocket awareness. I see our defense struggling with the new lbs against any decent offense. Hopefully they will be good enough to keep us in some games because the offense isn't going to put up many points.

Lol that was a "decent" offense. I hope you meant to say we might struggle against an elite offense.

The most amazing thing about that video is that it wasn't showing Nebraska running back a pick 6.

Oregon won the PAC 12 three years in a row with that boundary pass being a huge staple of the offense. The play is not bad. The execution was. It probably will be bad again, but it will connect a few times. When it does the D coordinator has to play the CB's in a shallow zone or in man or else it gets housed.

Slow start, great second half! I think our defense is going to be bad azz! RB's seem to really compliment each other like we thought they would. Cant wait to get our tackles back next week to lean on the clones. Doom sayers beware!!!

The most amazing thing about that video is that it wasn't showing Nebraska running back a pick 6.

ISM had a 10+ yard gain on a quick out, resulting in a 1st down yesterday. If the defense is giving you space, you have to be able to take that. On the play in question, the NIU DB jumped the route. I am not sure of the coverage; if it was 3 rolled to that side, the ball never should have been thrown. If it was man-free, the DB was just taking a huge chance at a point in the game where it made sense. An out and up would have likely been uncovered.

The difference from Wyoming was last year Iowa played an all-american at QB, this year they faced a freshman. Take back the unforced Int., two missed chip field goals, and Iowa should have been down at the minimum, 9 to 3 at half. I saw a lot of good stuff in the second half. I guess I was sucked in by the hype that Stanley would look the part of an all Big Ten QB, not be outplayed by a freshman. Let me reset my expectations and just be happy to beat a MAC school at home.

Since we’re at it, can we take back the cut block that negated the big run by IKM or how about the drop by Fant. Or how about when the coaches brought in the 2nd unit defense and allowed NIU to score. The score could have easily been 47 to 0. Love the what if’s.

Its kinda comical that so many people think the BF has so much influence on how the offense does. This is Kirk's offense fellas. If you're not happy about it, place the blame where it belongs. Brian is simply the "yes" man.

For those of you that doubt that, rewatch the closing minutes of the game when NIU was calling timeouts. Even in that situation where you just run the clock out until you can kneel on it, Brian was still checking in and asking Kirk what to do.

Its kinda comical that so many people think the BF has so much influence on how the offense does. This is Kirk's offense fellas. If you're not happy about it, place the blame where it belongs. Brian is simply the "yes" man.

For those of you that doubt that, rewatch the closing minutes of the game when NIU was calling timeouts. Even in that situation where you just run the clock out until you can kneel on it, Brian was still checking in and asking Kirk what to do.
Maybe he wasn't asking what to do, but instead, he was asking would it be okay if I did something that normally would not be done in that situation (or maybe just running it by the head coach to tell him what they were going to do in that situation). If I recall, on 3rd and long, Mansell rolled out for a pass that resulted in a defensive holding call, first down Iowa, game over. Based on everything you know/seen from Kirk Ferentz for the past 20 years, do you think he would have ever thrown the ball in that situation? Kirk is the head coach, so every assistant under him has to be a "yes" man to some degree, but unless there was a press conference question and answer about Brian and Kirk's sideline conversation at the end of the game, I'm not sure Brian was necessarily asking "what to do".

First half a bit rough but overall a C plus. Alot of potential in this season.

Many of you are simply winers doing what winers do, and doing it well!

Anybody who has spent any time around Brian Ferentz will tell you he's anything but a "yes man."

Like any good assistant coach, he's going to run things past the boss and show deference (and he should), but he's very much his own man with his own opinions. In fact, with his personality, he's probably more likely to challenge Kirk than your average assistant. I'm sure Kirk would whole-heartedly agree.

Looks like we have a quarterback controversy on our hands after today.
Looks like we have a quarterback controversy on our hands after today.
Humor is needed tonite.And beer..Remember Gregg Davis anyone.I do sorta huh?
I watched the first halt, then I set my house on fire out of frustration with the Hawkeye offense.
In Brooklyn,it was called Kosher lightning.The Movie "Save the Tiger" Jack Lemon had heard of it also. Great flick.Watch it and see.Go Hawks.....

Anybody who has spent any time around Brian Ferentz will tell you he's anything but a "yes man."

Like any good assistant coach, he's going to run things past the boss and show deference (and he should), but he's very much his own man with his own opinions. In fact, with his personality, he's probably more likely to challenge Kirk than your average assistant. I'm sure Kirk would whole-heartedly agree.
Agreed. He's much less reserved with his emotions than Kirk, though Kirk is more fiery than we give him credit for, behind closed doors anyway.

Kind of extreme viewpoint on a coach who has hasn't had a losing season in 5 year's. I guess a lot of people think that is a given at Iowa. Illinois and Nebraska have thought this way before too.

This isn’t a shot at the coaching staff directly. I’m referring too all the people who think the coaching staff can do no wrong. Believe me, they litter this board. You can’t claim it’s lack of execution year after year. The coaches are responsible for recruiting WRs that can catch and preparing the players.

This isn’t a shot at the coaching staff directly. I’m referring too all the people who think the coaching staff can do no wrong. Believe me, they litter this board. You can’t claim it’s lack of execution year after year. The coaches are responsible for recruiting WRs that can catch and preparing the players.

Ask Nick Saben about execution every year. He always harps on it and is rarely satisfied. Even with the best possible roster that you can get. Main difference is his studs can compensate for mistakes. Iowa historically is not that fortunate.

No matter how good the coaches are the players are gonna make some mistakes. The sign of a good coaching staff is shoring up mistakes made in the previous week so that they don't repeat the current week.

Latest posts