Wegher

Iowa was unable to keep Wegher. Was unable to keep Hampton. Settled, IMO, with the prototypical preferred running back (ARob) of the KF era.. slow, big, runs between the tackles, and is his own blocker..

One reason why, IMO, Iowa has such a hard time recruiting. Iowa chews players up and spits them out. Not once will the system try to use the athleticism the player possesses unless its done 'the right way'.

Who's way is the right way, anyway? Why doesn't the desire to win have a say?

hampton 'multiple failed drug tested' himself out of iowa football. but KF forced him to huff and puff, i get it.

Brandon wegehr is going to be feature on a series with the nfl network called undrafted where they follow him thru training camp and at home. I have a friends who live in the dakota dunes who said the nfl network is suppose to be in sioux city in the coming weeks to start fimling.

Iowa was unable to keep Wegher. Was unable to keep Hampton. Settled, IMO, with the prototypical preferred running back (ARob) of the KF era.. slow, big, runs between the tackles, and is his own blocker..

One reason why, IMO, Iowa has such a hard time recruiting. Iowa chews players up and spits them out. Not once will the system try to use the athleticism the player possesses unless its done 'the right way'.

Who's way is the right way, anyway? Why doesn't the desire to win have a say?
Wegher got plenty of playing time as a true frosh. His leaving was due to personal issues that had nothing to do with the football program or his role within it. Oklahoma wasn't able to "keep" Wegher either. Do you blame Bob Stoops for that?

Hampton suffered ACL tears in back to back seasons, and appears to have had multiple arrests for underage drinking/bar fights/weed problems. Then he bailed out to finish his career in the obscurity of Carbondale.

...and you say Iowa was "unable to keep them"? WTF are you smoking, son?

I'm real tired of KF apologists. Shonblatt or Imported Ankle, what do you suppose KF or anyone else on the Iowa staff said to encourage players like Wegher or Hampton? Do you think they said something like hey, we'll try to get you into games? Do you think they thought to themselves, with the talent these players possess, we'll have to find a way to get them into games? No. I don't think so. I'm really sure they thought these players didn't possess enough talent.

If the Iowa coaching staff made these players know they had a good chance at playing time (and really meant it unlike Beathard), do you suppose the players might've 'kept their 'noses clean' thinking they just might play? I think so. Beathard kept his 'nose clean' while he sat. Both players went 'off the rails' soon after they lost considerable playing time, so I don't think there was any encouragement to either player.

Wegher had, at the time, 4.5 40 speed. Could catch the pass. I know Hampton had injury problems but speed isn't a desirable for a KF half back. I'll bet Hampton could, with knee problems, still run faster than ARob. Problem is Iowa couldn't find any usefulness with Hampton and Wegher because, while Iowa half backs, they didn't run between the tackles so much or so well..

Last edited:
I'm real tired of KF apologists. Shonblatt or Imported Ankle, what do you suppose KF or anyone else on the Iowa staff said to encourage players like Wegher or Hampton? Do you think they said something like hey, we'll try to get you into games? Do you think they thought to themselves, with the talent these players possess, we'll have to find a way to get them into games? No. I don't think so. I'm really sure they thought these players didn't possess enough talent.

If the Iowa coaching staff made these players know they had a good chance at playing time (and really meant it unlike Beathard), do you suppose the players might've 'kept their 'noses clean' thinking they just might play? I think so. Beathard kept his 'nose clean' while he sat. Both players went 'off the rails' soon after they lost considerable playing time, so I don't think there was any encouragement to either player.

Wegher had, at the time, 4.5 40 speed. Could catch the pass. I know Hampton had injury problems but speed isn't a desirable for a KF half back. I'll bet Hampton could, with knee problems, still run faster than ARob. Problem is Iowa couldn't find any usefulness with Hampton and Wegher because, while Iowa half backs, they didn't run between the tackles so much or so well..

Im as far from a KF apologist as you can get but those players leaving was not the staffs fault.

They both played allot when healthy, both as true freshman.

Weger choose to leave, which was his own dumb choice and Hampton failed drug tests.

I am sure the NFL Network show is going to set the record straight once and for all about all the rumors and innuendo and court cases and those real estate developments in South Dakota.

Let's put individual players aside for a moment...because they all have their own story. Every team loses some players...for various reasons.

But KFz seems to lose more of the "physically talented" type than most. This should not be surprising, considering his approach and coaching style.

Some coaches are good with raw talent that needs guidance, shaping and maybe a little flexibility. KFz is not. He needs a kid who can follow rules and accept a systematic linear approach. That works with some kids (linemen primarily) not so well with others (play makers and "skill" positions). Pretty obvious.

And that...is a 7-5 coach.

Last edited:

Apologist here...the players you are using as examples above did not leave due to anything football related. Plenty of things to justifiably complain about regarding KF (yep, I said it), please use those things.

Ok...carry on...

HawkWalker, reread Hawkdrummer's post before yours (and open your mind). Here's what drummer's saying (and partially what I'm also saying): Wegher and Hampton left, in part, because of the drill sergeant nature of KF and the Iowa coaching staff. Not only is KF a drill sergeant but he's one with the football philosophy of Woody Hayes of the 1970's (only wish KF had the temperament of Woody, at times..not at press conferences, though).

Some HN posters have pondered how Wisconsin's and Iowa's football programs diverged so completely after 2011 with Iowa's going a little south and Wisconsin's going north. I'll say one reason for the divergence was the Wisconsin coaching staff's willingness to utilize the athleticism of their players whatever that athleticism might be and Iowa locking their players into one system, which, IMO, really wasn't conducive to winning.

i guess if you (not so much you, HawkWalker, you've admitted to being a KF apologist) don't see why I'm posting so much on this thread about lost Iowa recruits I'll say you can't see the forest for the trees. That you're a KF apologist even if you don't realize it.

I'm not saying Wegher and Hampton were super duper talents and Iowa would've won numerous Rose Bowls with them but I am postulating if KF and his staff knew how to handle and utilize talents like Wegher's and Hampton's Iowa would've had greater success. And people, quit moaning about the loss of Mel Gordon to Wisconsin 'cause KF wouldn't have ever used him to his fullest capability at tailback.

Last edited:
I looked up some information on the Undrafted show, and it looks like it follows a handful of guys from the combines, the tiny combines for the longshots to get drafted, all the way through the endless camps for the rookie free agents and then does a final update to see if any of the guys makes the cut on a team. So the show might air in the fall or more likely winter. So we might have to wait until then to really know the truth about what happened with some guys sister or Bob Stoops or what its like to run over entire teams while playing for Morngingside and being two years older than every other player on the field.

HawkWalker, reread Hawkdrummer's post before yours (and open your mind). Here's what drummer's saying (and partially what I'm also saying): Wegher and Hampton left, in part, because of the drill sergeant nature of KF and the Iowa coaching staff. Not only is KF a drill sergeant but he's one with the football philosophy of Woody Hayes of the 1970's (only wish KF had the temperament of Woody, at times..not at press conferences, though).

Some HN posters have pondered how Wisconsin's and Iowa's football programs diverged so completely after 2011 with Iowa's going a little south and Wisconsin's going north. I'll say one reason for the divergence was the Wisconsin coaching staff's willingness to utilize the athleticism of their players whatever that athleticism might be and Iowa locking their players into one system, which, IMO, really wasn't conducive to winning.

i guess if you (not so much you, HawkWalker, you've admitted to being a KF apologist) don't see why I'm posting so much on this thread about lost Iowa recruits I'll say you can't see the forest for the trees. That you're a KF apologist even if you don't realize it.

I'm not saying Wegher and Hampton were super duper talents and Iowa would've won numerous Rose Bowls with them but I am postulating if KF and his staff knew how to handle and utilize talents like Wegher's and Hampton's Iowa would've had greater success. And people, quit moaning about the loss of Mel Gordon to Wisconsin 'cause KF wouldn't have ever used him to his fullest capability at tailback.

Where did you get that from? I've never seen that ever reported, or even rumored. Certainly the two of them never have said as much... So I'm curious if your reading into the situation and coming up with your own conclusion or what.

It's very fair to say that if those two didn't leave the program and stayed healthy they could have helped that offense a ton.

As far as Gordon is concerened we'll just never know. It'd be interesting to know how Doylized he'd have gotten and how he'd have been used. It's fair to say he'd have got a ton of touches though. If Weisman got as many as he got...

I looked up some information on the Undrafted show, and it looks like it follows a handful of guys from the combines, the tiny combines for the longshots to get drafted, all the way through the endless camps for the rookie free agents and then does a final update to see if any of the guys makes the cut on a team. So the show might air in the fall or more likely winter. So we might have to wait until then to really know the truth about what happened with some guys sister or Bob Stoops or what its like to run over entire teams while playing for Morngingside and being two years older than every other player on the field.

So we will have to wait til the Fall to find out if he has multiple baby momma(s)?

Where did you get that from? I've never seen that ever reported, or even rumored. Certainly the two of them never have said as much... So I'm curious if your reading into the situation and coming up with your own conclusion or what.

It's very fair to say that if those two didn't leave the program and stayed healthy they could have helped that offense a ton.

As far as Gordon is concerened we'll just never know. It'd be interesting to know how Doylized he'd have gotten and how he'd have been used. It's fair to say he'd have got a ton of touches though. If Weisman got as many as he got...

out of his you know where. he's totally making it up or postulating to make KF look bad.

their demise was due to their own doings/undoings - - and we all know what those are.

Again, I'm about as anti KF as it gets and even I think what you are saying makes no sense.

Any player that fails multiple drug test is kicked off the team. Hampton made it clear that he didn't want to leave, he had to because he surpassed the amount of strikes he was allowed.

Wegher got tons of playing time as a true freshman. Lack of playing time was clearly not the issue. How could it have been? That doesn't make any sense.

out of his you know where. he's totally making it up or postulating to make KF look bad.

their demise was due to their own doings/undoings - - and we all know what those are.

Leaving A-rob in late in that MSU game was kinda on KF......Not saying a-rob leaving was all on KF, that concussion put him on a spiral on the way out.

My mind is open. As are my eyes...there are some glaring talent, personnel, coaching, and scheme issues...absolutely no doubt. All I am saying is that neither Wegher nor Hampton left do to football reasons or what KF may or may not have done, this is simply well known fact. I will not argue, at all, that some players, talented players, may have left due to KF's style and philosophy, which very well may be antiquated.

Also, I call myself an apologist, proudly...mostly because I find it, as well as "chugger, compound dweller, etc", hilarious.

KF and his style (namely in game coaching, hiring decisions ) have lost me some. I also don't believe he as bad of a coach as many make it sound.

Basically, I'm still trying to remember this history of sustained success that many feel like KF has somehow stolen stolen.

I'm sick of losing to ISU and other inferior opponents. I'm sick of pisssing away double digit leads. I put much of those things squarely at the feet of Ferentz.

That said, folks need to accept that he's our coach for at least 3-4 more years, barring consecutive sub .600 seasons...which personally I don't want to live through for the unknown hope that a fire/hire situation might, Might, produce what we all dream.

I fully admit, right or wrong, my expectations and accepted level of w/l is less than the dream (7-9 wins on average, and an occaisional 10+ season and shot at the title) all depending on sos). That doesn't mean I wouldn't love more...it's just that there are legitimate reasons/data going back almost 75 years to support my expectations(regardless of who is coach or landscape of the game)

But maybe that's just my loser/apologist sensibilities.

I've always contended in the past the KF'S pros out way his cons...I concede that very well may no longer be the case (3 of the last 4 years have been dissappointing on many levels)

Time will tell, maybe it already has.

Go Hawks...ultimately we all want the same thing.

Other head coaches will make ridiculous exceptions to team rules for talented players especially at the skill positions. Things like letting them eat dinner with their entourage on a road trip while the rest of the team eats dinner at the hotel, or having a "secret probation" where a guy is suspended for a game but sits on the sidelines with his arm in a sling like a fake injury. KF just doesn't play this game like other coaches do, especially with the playmaker personalities. He had DJK wear a garbage bag during a team practice or something and the former wide receiver is still bent out of shape about it. So when DJK burns his bridges, or Willies leaves, or Wegher pops back into the conversation the same, or Jewel Hampton gets a carry with the Niners, we all get bent but we know nothings gonna change.

My mind is open. As are my eyes...there are some glaring talent, personnel, coaching, and scheme issues...absolutely no doubt. All I am saying is that neither Wegher nor Hampton left do to football reasons or what KF may or may not have done, this is simply well known fact. I will not argue, at all, that some players, talented players, may have left due to KF's style and philosophy, which very well may be antiquated.

Also, I call myself an apologist, proudly...mostly because I find it, as well as "chugger, compound dweller, etc", hilarious.

KF and his style (namely in game coaching, hiring decisions ) have lost me some. I also don't believe he as bad of a coach as many make it sound.

Basically, I'm still trying to remember this history of sustained success that many feel like KF has somehow stolen stolen.

I'm sick of losing to ISU and other inferior opponents. I'm sick of pisssing away double digit leads. I put much of those things squarely at the feet of Ferentz.

That said, folks need to accept that he's our coach for at least 3-4 more years, barring consecutive sub .600 seasons...which personally I don't want to live through for the unknown hope that a fire/hire situation might, Might, produce what we all dream.

I fully admit, right or wrong, my expectations and accepted level of w/l is less than the dream (7-9 wins on average, and an occaisional 10+ season and shot at the title) all depending on sos). That doesn't mean I wouldn't love more...it's just that there are legitimate reasons/data going back almost 75 years to support my expectations(regardless of who is coach or landscape of the game)

But maybe that's just my loser/apologist sensibilities.

I've always contended in the past the KF'S pros out way his cons...I concede that very well may no longer be the case (3 of the last 4 years have been dissappointing on many levels)

Time will tell, maybe it already has.

Go Hawks...ultimately we all want the same thing.

The only real sustained success was 02-04.

Iowa has been a 500 team for ten years with one flukey ten win season and one losing season.