Wegher

The only real sustained success was 02-04.

Iowa has been a 500 team for ten years with one flukey ten win season and one losing season.

Iowa needs their special teams to block a punt or have a return for a TD to help them win. They were solid back in the day.

Last season's team had the (just a fraction of a yard less than 3rd place) 4th largest average yardage output per game in the 16 years of KF football, but there are way too many naysayers of GDGD on this board. Too much passing yardage and not enough running yardage, I guess.

For more running to translate to more wins.. for special teams blocks to translate, the DEFENSE has to shine more.

HawkWalker, reread Hawkdrummer's post before yours (and open your mind). Here's what drummer's saying (and partially what I'm also saying): Wegher and Hampton left, in part, because of the drill sergeant nature of KF and the Iowa coaching staff. Not only is KF a drill sergeant but he's one with the football philosophy of Woody Hayes of the 1970's (only wish KF had the temperament of Woody, at times..not at press conferences, though).

Some HN posters have pondered how Wisconsin's and Iowa's football programs diverged so completely after 2011 with Iowa's going a little south and Wisconsin's going north. I'll say one reason for the divergence was the Wisconsin coaching staff's willingness to utilize the athleticism of their players whatever that athleticism might be and Iowa locking their players into one system, which, IMO, really wasn't conducive to winning.

i guess if you (not so much you, HawkWalker, you've admitted to being a KF apologist) don't see why I'm posting so much on this thread about lost Iowa recruits I'll say you can't see the forest for the trees. That you're a KF apologist even if you don't realize it.

I'm not saying Wegher and Hampton were super duper talents and Iowa would've won numerous Rose Bowls with them but I am postulating if KF and his staff knew how to handle and utilize talents like Wegher's and Hampton's Iowa would've had greater success. And people, quit moaning about the loss of Mel Gordon to Wisconsin 'cause KF wouldn't have ever used him to his fullest capability at tailback.

<<(B)ut I am postulating if KF and his staff knew how to handle and utilize talents like Wegher's and Hampton's Iowa would've had greater success>>

First, if you're "postulating", follow up with some proof. Sort of like math theorems.

Second, if you're saying enabling Wegher through personal issues and Hampton through drug tests--otherwise known as "coddling" and/or "sweeping under the rug"--go "fan up" with an $EC team, or O$U or F$U. "Handling and utilizing talent" includes a lot of things. It does NOT include paternity issues or repeated/failed drug tests.

Iowa has been a 500 team for ten years with one flukey ten win season and one losing season.

True, but take out the best 2-3 year stretch of any coach in the History of the program...and that's what we've been (an above avg program ).

Hey, I would love to have increased success, sustained success.

That's all I'm saying....

True, but take out the best 2-3 year stretch of any coach in the History of the program...and that's what we've been (an above avg program ).

Hey, I would love to have increased success, sustained success.

That's all I'm saying....

But look at the opponents Ferentz is routinely losing to. It's ridiculous.

He gets to face two cupcakes at home, ISU, NW, Purdue and Minnesota, every year.

The schedules the last 4 years have been historically bad and IMO this fact cannot be overstated.

You are kidding right? I get that nobody likes where the program is at right now, but you are completely underestimating what KF did from 2001-2009. In that 8 year run Iowa was tied for 16th in the nation in winning % at 68% (better than Wisconsin, Penn St., Michigan, and Nebraska) and second only to Ohio St. in the B1G. They finished in the top 10 4 times, and went to two BCS bowl games in that run.

Maybe you and I just have a different idea of sustained success, but if you are winning 9+ games at Iowa, to me that is a successful year (he did that 5 out of those 8 years).

He certainly has taken all that success and set it on fire in a great big dumpster fire, but he did have great success at Iowa for a 8 year period.

You are kidding right? I get that nobody likes where the program is at right now, but you are completely underestimating what KF did from 2001-2009. In that 8 year run Iowa was tied for 16th in the nation in winning % at 68% (better than Wisconsin, Penn St., Michigan, and Nebraska) and second only to Ohio St. in the B1G. They finished in the top 10 4 times, and went to two BCS bowl games in that run.

Maybe you and I just have a different idea of sustained success, but if you are winning 9+ games at Iowa, to me that is a successful year (he did that 5 out of those 8 years).

He certainly has taken all that success and set it on fire in a great big dumpster fire, but he did have great success at Iowa for a 8 year period.

That's the key we are now 6 years removed from the '09 season. It was all there for him, the statute, the opportunity to pass this on to his son.......now he is occasionally named honorary captain and maybe Melrose Ave. becomes Kirk Ferentz Place. The schedule hasn't really been that difficult since '09. He probably needed to make major philosophy changes and/or tweaks after the '11 season and the few he did make hasn't work.

But look at the opponents Ferentz is routinely losing to. It's ridiculous.

He gets to face two cupcakes at home, ISU, NW, Purdue and Minnesota, every year.

The schedules the last 4 years have been historically bad and IMO this fact cannot be overstated.

No argument from me. The record vs. isu is indefensible. the losses to some good minny, decent nw, and avg Purdue teams don't bother me as much as the losses to the directional Michigan schools, awful isu teams, and teams we've had double digit leads on at half.

I wouldn't totally dissagree but still have a problem calling that "sustained" success with two of his three worst years mixed in 06-07 as well as another 5 loss season in 05.

Thats inconsistant success IMO.

Since that 04 season Kirks had one season with less than 4 losses.

I guess it all depends on whether you group the 08-10 group with the decade of mediocraty or the good years of 02-04.

Or you can look at it as three separate time periods which is more how it felt.

05-07 were bad times.

Last edited:

Latest posts