Wegher

I am glad I am here to entertain you. :)

[video=youtube;XB5nG_HpYCk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB5nG_HpYCk[/video]

Yep I remember thinking we got a good one after that ISU game only to see nothing even closely resembling that for the rest of the season.

i even remember certain goofballs theorizing that the offensive line was purposely blocking well for Robinson and not Wheger because Wegher wasn't accomplishing much.

He just wasn't nearly as good as people wanted to pretend he was.

Yep I remember thinking we got a good one after that ISU game only to see nothing even closely resembling that for the rest of the season.

i even remember certain goofballs theorizing that the offensive line was purposely blocking well for Robinson and not Wheger because Wegher wasn't accomplishing much.

please. kid was a true freshman. he was plenty good enough.

watch all 5:30. Give me Wegher and his upside over Coker/Weisman any day of the week.

Did you not watch the entire thing or just the ISU highlights? He had over 100 yards in against GT in the bowl game for crying out loud that was a long time after the ISU game... The kid had a great season not just a couple games. He wasn't a dancer. He had great vision he was quick to hit the holes and cut back lanes. He put his head down to get extra yards didn't just dance out of bounds without putting a shoulder into you. He will be a big time "what could have been" type of kid....

Weismann in 3 yrs did not compile a highlight reel that compares to weghers as a true frosh against a much much tougher schedule.

I remember hearing about Wegher being used as a receiver but it was from the running back position. He could have been one of the great running backs in Iowa history. I never heard a thing about him changing positions.

I remember hearing about Wegher being used as a receiver but it was from the running back position. He could have been one of the great running backs in Iowa history. I never heard a thing about him changing positions.

the only position he changed was off the football field........if you follow....

but seriously - i didn't hear about any switch to receiver either -

Ah, the good ol' days when good speed, good vision, one cut ability...

sigh.....

That was actually a really impressive highlight real for a true freshman. I couldn't help but notice they put in the long td run against Northwestern that got called back on a pancake block phantom hold. I'm not still bitter or anything though.

The Iowa coaching staff proposed to cut Wegher's appearances drastically (if they hadn't already). That's a fact.

One could only conjecture why. Was he not big enough? Did he miss a pass rusher a time or to too much? Did he bounce a run between the tackles to the outside too often? Who does that sound like, any way? Why yes, that does describe Mel Gordon III when he first came into the league.

Yes, I remember the Iowa staff asked Wegher to be a slot receiver after the 2009 Orange Bowl (which also coincided with the beginning of BW's 'bad behavior'). You could call his new job a 3rd down back if you're so inclined. Someone on the Iowa staff was pizz poor evaluating offense.

No more handoffs from the I. Lots of bubble screens.

Last edited:
The Iowa coaching staff proposed to cut Wegher's appearances drastically (if they hadn't already). That's a fact.

One could only conjecture why. Was he not big enough? Did he miss a pass rusher a time or to too much? Did he bounce a run between the tackles to the outside too often? Who does that sound like, any way? Why yes, that does describe Mel Gordon III when he first came into the league.

Yes, I remember the Iowa staff asked Wegher to be a slot receiver after the 2009 Orange Bowl (which also coincided with the beginning of BW's 'bad behavior'). You could call his new job a 3rd down back if you're so inclined. Someone on the Iowa staff was pizz poor evaluating offense.

Where did you get this fact from? I can tell you it's a fact that the coaches were going to use Wegher as the workhorse with 25 carries a game. Which is fact?

Wegher had really good feet, he could cut back , and he knew how to cut off his blockers butt. It would have been nice if he played 4 years with the hawks but things look decent for him.

if true it was probably in relation to him not attending school - or understanding the 'student' in student-athlete. there is a reason he left iowa...perhaps the coaching staff was trying to garner his 'attention' -

My memory must be hazy, but I think Wegher was a straight-a student who volunteered and mentored at-risk youth and was dedicated to charity before Ferentz decided to kick him off the team.

My memory must be hazy, but I think Wegher was a straight-a student who volunteered and mentored at-risk youth and was dedicated to charity before Ferentz decided to kick him off the team.

I dont remember KF kicking Wegher off the team, does someone have a link to that old news?