Wegher

Physically the kid is better then Albert Young was and he had more then a cup of coffee in the league. So it wouldn't surprise me if after doing their homework on him that someone would give him a shot. As a UDFA he's no risk to the team at all. For his kids sake I hope he can make it and support his family. All it takes is the perfect fit at the right time...

Physically the kid is better then Albert Young was and he had more then a cup of coffee in the league. So it wouldn't surprise me if after doing their homework on him that someone would give him a shot. As a UDFA he's no risk to the team at all. For his kids sake I hope he can make it and support his family. All it takes is the perfect fit at the right time...

not sure what you base your comparison to albert young on. and i'm not trying to slight wegher - he could have been a great at iowa -

Yes I was comparing them in that they are about the same size and weren't really expected to get in the NFL. I think Wegher is physically just faster and more athletic then AY was so he should have a better shot at sticking then AY did. Assuming he keeps his head on strait and the depth chart goes his way wherever he ends up.

But Albert could read cut back lanes make people miss and break tackles.

wegher couldn't make anyone miss and dropped on first contact every time.

Young was a much better back.

Wegher made people miss... He also only played the one year of big time ball. I think he's gotten better then when he played at Iowa last... Young was really good don't get me wrong I just think Wegher has a higher ceiling.

Yes I was comparing them in that they are about the same size and weren't really expected to get in the NFL. I think Wegher is physically just faster and more athletic then AY was so he should have a better shot at sticking then AY did. Assuming he keeps his head on strait and the depth chart goes his way wherever he ends up.

i think one of the big pluses for albert young is his ability to catch the ball. whether young was more athletic than wegher, or vice versa, who knows. i tried looking up albert young's combine numbers - to more compare 'apples to apples', but the combine site has no record of him participating. maybe due to injury - not sure.

But Albert could read cut back lanes make people miss and break tackles.

wegher couldn't make anyone miss and dropped on first contact every time.

Young was a much better back.

The one thing i will say here is you are talking about true freshman Wegher.

The one thing i will say here is you are talking about true freshman Wegher.

and i know you aren't addressing me - but i am questioning the comparison to young in this thread........i am in no way questioning wegher's ability - both he and robinson as freshman and redshirt freshmen were great (and yeah, they ran behind a great OL), but also part of the demise of iowa football - in that they didn't stay on the team - iowa isn't a 'reloader' and when talented guys leave early, we have at RB what we've had the seemingly for too long.

wegher started as a kickoff returner as a true freshman in the orange bowl. that says enough. typically that guy would be on the bench at iowa! ;)

The only true apples to apples comparison that can be done between the two (besides combine numbers, which apparently don't exist), is to compare their stats as freshmen at Iowa. Young averaged 3.4 yrds per carry as a freshmen. Wegher averaged 4.0 yards per carry as a freshmen. Wegher obviously got a lot more carries, so the total yards would not be telling. Like Young, Wegher was a very good receiving RB, and had 13 receptions as a freshmen (more than most of our frosh WRs ever get).

Wegher ended up averaging 200 yrds rushing per game as a senior playing low level ball, and caught 29 passes this year. Based on this small sample, I would say Wegher has the edge in upside. I believe Young was also hampered with a couple of knee injuries if I am not mistaken.

and i know you aren't addressing me - but i am questioning the comparison to young in this thread........i am in no way questioning wegher's ability - both he and robinson as freshman and redshirt freshmen were great (and yeah, they ran behind a great OL), but also part of the demise of iowa football - in that they didn't stay on the team - iowa isn't a 'reloader' and when talented guys leave early, we have at RB what we've had the seemingly for too long.

wegher started as a kickoff returner as a true freshman in the orange bowl. that says enough. typically that guy would be on the bench at iowa! ;)

Wegher made people miss... He also only played the one year of big time ball. I think he's gotten better then when he played at Iowa last... Young was really good don't get me wrong I just think Wegher has a higher ceiling.
I recall allot of running to the edge and going down as well as jumping over piles.

Never seemed like a rb to me, better suited as a safety or slot guy IMO.

He had a decent showing at the Medal of Honor Bowl.

[video]https://youtu.be/axVZldt23P0[/video]

I recall allot of running to the edge and going down as well as jumping over piles.

Never seemed like a rb to me, better suited as a safety or slot guy IMO.

Then you really didn't pay attention to the orange bowl or much of that '09 season.

All I remember is the Iowa staff (KOK or KF) asked BW to be a slot receiver the season following the 2009 Orange Bowl. How many targets did Iowa slot receivers get a game in KOK's offense? Any more than 2?

Remember Freddie Russell was an outlier.

I bet if KF had his choice between Mark Weisman and Mel Gordon 3, he'd choose Weisman every day and twice on Sundays.

KF is offensively challenged.

Last edited:
All I remember is the Iowa staff (KOK or KF) asked BW to be a slot receiver the season following the 2009 Orange Bowl. How many targets did Iowa slot receivers get a game in KOK's offense? Any more than 2?

Remember Freddie Russell was an outlier.

I bet if KF had his choice between Mark Weisman and Mel Gordon 3, he'd choose Weisman every day and twice on Sundays.

HomerChampless is challenged.

Latest posts