We aren't back

No one will be happier than me if I'm wrong.

I could be wrong and we could catch lightening in a bottle...but chances are slim in my opinion.

Next year I expect a bubble NCAA tournament team though.

Nothing personal. We've all made that bump list. Heck just 4 months ago I predicted a bowl game for Iowa football.

Why do people keep saying Va Tech is a "good" team? They were picked to take 10th/11th in the ACC and have only 8 players on scholarship. That team won't sniff the post season.

Teams that start freshman at key positions and look like we've looked so far aren't NCAA tournament teams. I know that is tough for many fans to swallow but its the truth.

If you disagree I'd be more than happy to make a wager on it. I'll even give you 2-1 odds.

I'll take those odds.

We ARE NOT athletic enough to compete with good teams, period

Agreed ! We are marginal at best. Not just the size but also the strength. These bottom feeders of the ACC did whatever they wanted. No you can't blame Fran but at some point in the future we have got to be able to recruit--and land BIG bodies with strength, speed, and athleticism (rise and shine quickly above the iron) damn, I'm sorry but we just look too much like a bunch of x-high school boys playing a pick-up game. I watched a bit of the Michigan game tonight and they are man freaks compared to us... It's going to be a long season IMO.

Why do people keep saying Va Tech is a "good" team? They were picked to take 10th/11th in the ACC and have only 8 players on scholarship. That team won't sniff the post season.

ill beat ya all my vcash they finish higher then that. I say 8th. Preseason predictions can be worthless. That point gaurd Green is a stud. Why Iowa will make just about any forward player look good, I still think they're athletic enough to board decent in ACC.

I don't see why we pulled out of the zone when it seemed to be frustrating tech so much. But lets not overact a bit there. Vtech isn't great but good, and with a poor shooting performance in the first half and foul trouble we ran into, it's a pretty understandable lost. Marble gotta turn it over less. Those werent just lost opportunities on offense, but easy scores for opposing team.

Liked what I saw from White and Clemons. Think we need to run solid pick in rolls with White for either a open j for Gessel or good space for White to get to the rim.

I also liked what I saw from Clemons. He tries to do some things that probably worked in high school, but he is finding out that they won't work here and I think he will become a very good player as he gets more experience.

However, I have not been overly impressed with White this year so far. I have not seen every game, but the games I have been able to watch he has looked slow and just unimpressive compared to last year.

The problem is our defense looks awful at times. Granted, I don't think the refs helped tonight. They seemed pretty inconsistent with their calls, but a lot of players are giving a terrible effort on defense. I think of the play tonight where White lost his man and then jogged after him and just bumped into him with his arms at his side while he was shooting a layup... He gave the guy the most easy 3 point play possible. That pretty much sums up our defensive effort at this point. Just slow and lazy.

I have to give kudos to Clemmons and Basabe though. Those two seem to really hustle and play with intensity on defense. May has had some good defensive plays as well. I really like how much McCabe hustles and tries to get after every loose ball and rebound, but there have been quite a few times where he just doesn't play smart defense. I like that he tries to take charges, but he has got to stop trying to slide in front when the player is already in the air. He will get called for a blocking foul 99% of the time--He is just a step too slow most of the time.

I'm not really sure why so many people are down on this team already... It is early and I don't think our losses are "bad losses." It is very early and honestly I am just grateful that I get to watch a team that has some talent. They are exciting to watch in my opinion... much better than it was a few years ago. They will improve and I think they will surprise quite a few people by the end of the year.

The scholarship offers to Olaseni, Meyer and Uthoff are puzzling given that none of them helps us athletically or makes us more physical. McCaffrey hyping Olaseni all summer was a mistake. The dude has not learned how to stay down on a ball fake and fouls within seconds of coming on the floor. The BromArch monster has rubbed off on him.

I don't think that people have realistic expectations of this team.

Said Ghost all Autumn to anyone who would listen.

I also predicted many would turn on the team at the first sign of adversity.

One curious sign though, is that fans are really quick to blame the players, but no one is criticizing the coach, outside of complaining about recruiting. Interesting contrast to the football board.

One curious sign though, is that fans are really quick to blame the players, but no one is criticizing the coach, outside of complaining about recruiting. Interesting contrast to the football board.

It's not easy be a realist on these boards.

You're stupid. The team will get better. Those blaming recruiting are stupid as well. Of course all 13 scholarship players aren't going to be stars. Olaseni is a role player. Doesn't mean he isn't much improved over last year. But he's a role player. Same with McCabe, May, Oglesby, Basabe.

I remember the start of last year when we heard all this crap. Both years Fran has been here we have been NIGHT and DAY better at the end of January/early February and I expect the same this year, especially with the young players. It's clear some guys are still trying to figure out their roles and once Fran figures out roles and makes them clear and players start to accept those then we will see this machine really start to run.

You're stupid. The team will get better. Those blaming recruiting are stupid as well. Of course all 13 scholarship players aren't going to be stars. Olaseni is a role player. Doesn't mean he isn't much improved over last year. But he's a role player. Same with McCabe, May, Oglesby, Basabe.

I remember the start of last year when we heard all this crap. Both years Fran has been here we have been NIGHT and DAY better at the end of January/early February and I expect the same this year, especially with the young players. It's clear some guys are still trying to figure out their roles and once Fran figures out roles and makes them clear and players start to accept those then we will see this machine really start to run.

See, I'm not stupid. Almost everything that has happened is happening exactly how I said it would happen. And people's reactions to said happenings? I said that would happen too. It just so happens that I happen to be a genius and you happen to be jelly.

Olaseni is not a role player. Role players have a "role". Olaseni is lost out there.

I believe the team will get better. However expectations by some on this board were ridiculous.

Olaseni is not a role player. Role players have a "role". Olaseni is lost out there.

I believe the team will get better. However expectations by some on this board were ridiculous.

Saying this team has a shot to make the tournament before the season started was going out on a limb but it was far from ridiculous.

Saying this team has a shot to make the tournament before the season started was going out on a limb but it was far from ridiculous.

I hate to admit it, but ghost was right about getting to hyped up about the team. I think Meyers is going to be a great player along with the other freshmen, but they all are learning and developing. The other team was a looked a lot quicker than Iowa. The 2014 recruiting class is going to be pretty important.

Latest posts