We aren't back

It's clear that a lot of Iowa fans have stopped following the sport in the last few years. It's understandable but Jesus Christ, it's a long season and there are games where nearly every team looks like ****.

Unbridled optimism? Let me apologize for our fanbase who has dealt with **** poor bball for 5 straight years having hopes that probably aren’t realistic. The majority of us predicted a bubble team which is fairly attainable. And calling Cartwright our 2nd best player is just plain dumb.

We aren't a bubble team. No amount of kool-aid drinking and hoping will change that.

Two starting freshmen and 6 freshmen or sophomores in the rotation and you expected consistency?

This is not football. You can win in basketball with those kinds of numbers. I expect this team to progress like last year's team. If they can stay away from the bad losses, I still think an NCAA berth is possible. If not, nothing wrong with an NIT bid to give the kids some more experience.
First things first...must learn to defend better than we have been.

Said from the beginning Iowa is most likely an NIT team if that.. Very slim chance of being a bubble team for the NCAAs.

The talent is there, it's the experience that is greatly lacking. Both sides of the ball will improve as the season goes on. Step away from the ledge, we will improve.

And you can tell that 7 games into the season? I bet you didn’t think we’d win 8 conf games after last years start did ya?

Teams that start freshman at key positions and look like we've looked so far aren't NCAA tournament teams. I know that is tough for many fans to swallow but its the truth.

If you disagree I'd be more than happy to make a wager on it. I'll even give you 2-1 odds.

Acting like an individual game is any sort of vindication for your preseason expectations is annoying an no one cares. What would be cool, if people didn't do it after every freaking game.

This is not football. You can win in basketball with those kinds of numbers. I expect this team to progress like last year's team. If they can stay away from the bad losses, I still think an NCAA berth is possible. If not, nothing wrong with an NIT bid to give the kids some more experience.
First things first...must learn to defend better than we have been.

That's not what I said. Of course you can win with that many underclassmen, but you also can expect a lot of inconsistency, especially a half-dozen games into the season and in the first hostile road environment this year.

Not by longshot. Two terrible efforts back to back.

Hawks can't afford more than 1 loss in the non-conference schedule if they even want to make the NIT. The Big Ten is better than last season and it's going to be harder to climb back.

Especially when you get crushed to by freaking Virginia Tech.

What a shocking revelation. People that actually understand the game of basketball knew this months ago.

It sure did not take long for the Trolls to come out and start bashing the Iowa basketball team. You guys are getting pretty boring. Yup: Young team, team in progress, inconsistency is predictable with a young team early in the season, most on this site early on said hopefully NIT with a bare minimum chance for being a bubble team for the ncaa. By the way, being a bubble team does not mean you will get into the big dance. But apparently some of you didn't know that.

Said from the beginning Iowa is most likely an N
T team if that.. Very slim chance of being a bubble team for the NCAAs.
Pretty much agree with that. I think NIT chances are pretty good. Assuming the freshmen all get better, it's probably not gonna be enough to get to the NCAA's. Physically MG and Woodbury are getting exposed a little bit, but that will get better.
The future still looks pretty good to me but the tournament is a long shot at best right now.

I don't see why we pulled out of the zone when it seemed to be frustrating tech so much. But lets not overact a bit there. Vtech isn't great but good, and with a poor shooting performance in the first half and foul trouble we ran into, it's a pretty understandable lost. Marble gotta turn it over less. Those werent just lost opportunities on offense, but easy scores for opposing team.

Liked what I saw from White and Clemons. Think we need to run solid pick in rolls with White for either a open j for Gessel or good space for White to get to the rim.

C'mon man. This could be great "bump" material 2 months from now. Let him keep posting.

No one will be happier than me if I'm wrong.

I could be wrong and we could catch lightening in a bottle...but chances are slim in my opinion.

Next year I expect a bubble NCAA tournament team though.

The biggest concern is the defense, but it was a road game against a good team. We showed some fight, but it didn't happen. Still a young team. Do we go to the tourney? Who knows. Nobody can say either way. We will have some bad games and some losses to teams we seem to think we shouldn't. We will win some games that we think we wouldn't.

Are we back? The answer is easy. Yes, we are. We had a great recruiting class and we only have 1 guy leaving (I doubt Marble). How this season ends up, we'll see.

If we improve from the beginning of the year to the end of the year as much as we did the last two years, we still have a decent shot to end up on the bubble. Marble needs to drive more and the freshman need to progress as the year goes on. If those two things happen we will be in good shape.

Latest posts