Wagner Leaves To Play Football

More scholarships to offer is never a bad thing? What if Cook, Bohannon, and Nunge were the departures? That’d be a bad thing.

I mean do you think there was even a remote chance we weren’t going to have an open scholarship to play with this year after our season? My point with that being I still feel this team is right there talent wise if Cook returns, an additional guard would help but for you to believe that we are going to bring in multiple impact guys that crack the rotation is very wishful thinking. Fran has brought in what 2/3 transfers in his time here and only one has been successful? So you think he’s going to not only land a couple but they are both going to be good enough to crack the rotation next year is an extreme stretch to me. You're an extreme optimist and I admire that, but sometimes your optimism borders to Clinton level.

You kind of just take my posts and run with them where ever you may. I'm glad I don't do that and I wish you gave me a lil longer leash but I've been in your cross hairs lately. I don't think your a pessimist. I don't think you're a troll. I respect your opinion. I am not a blind homer, but I do question bullshit on this site when I read it. I got told the roster was locked in and the coach wasn't gonna do a damn thing to change it. I disagreed and then got called names for a few weeks. Fran is yet to do anything, but this is the first step that needed to happen in order for CHANGE. I am an optimist, but I am not flying on a unicorn and think that suddenly Iowa brings in a bunch of impact guys that crack the rotation. But there's NO chance of bringing in an upgrade without the scholarships opening... and no, I don't think it would be a good thing to have open scholarships with your 3 best players leaving, but it certainly isn't bad if your spots open up from guys who couldn't crack meaningful minutes on a 4-14 conference team. Also, that has to happen in order for Iowa to even ATTEMPT to get someone who might come in and make an impact.

I am not a blind homer

i-dont-believe-you-memegenerator-net-19261998.png

Hey, if Cyclone fans posing as Hawk fans say it enough - it'll be true to everyone.

Oh yeah I'm a cyclone fan even though I was the saying how good Garza was going to be and how much I wanted him coming into this season when other fans were questioning his film. I point out the obvious and ended up being right on a lot of the players that ended up being bad and instead of admitting I was right you just call me an Iowa state fan. Yawn.

Oh yeah I'm a cyclone fan even though I was the saying how good Garza was going to be and how much I wanted him coming into this season when other fans were questioning his film. I point out the obvious and ended up being right on a lot of the players that ended up being bad and instead of admitting I was right you just call me an Iowa state fan. Yawn.

you weren't right on enough players to go around bragging, that's for certain.

you weren't right on enough players to go around bragging, that's for certain.

I was right on about everyone pretty much except Jordan. For future reference I think Joe is going to be great and CJ will end up being a wasted scholarship.

You kind of just take my posts and run with them where ever you may. I'm glad I don't do that and I wish you gave me a lil longer leash but I've been in your cross hairs lately. I don't think your a pessimist. I don't think you're a troll. I respect your opinion. I am not a blind homer, but I do question bullshit on this site when I read it. I got told the roster was locked in and the coach wasn't gonna do a damn thing to change it. I disagreed and then got called names for a few weeks. Fran is yet to do anything, but this is the first step that needed to happen in order for CHANGE. I am an optimist, but I am not flying on a unicorn and think that suddenly Iowa brings in a bunch of impact guys that crack the rotation. But there's NO chance of bringing in an upgrade without the scholarships opening... and no, I don't think it would be a good thing to have open scholarships with your 3 best players leaving, but it certainly isn't bad if your spots open up from guys who couldn't crack meaningful minutes on a 4-14 conference team. Also, that has to happen in order for Iowa to even ATTEMPT to get someone who might come in and make an impact.
I guess my advice would be to have thicker skin or just ignore them, especially if they are just trolling.

I don’t recall seeing these posts you are talking about, but I would have bet every dollar I have that Iowa would have at least one departure this offseason.

As such the Wagner departure really wasn’t a major win. As you said in the post above, Fran is yet to do anything.

Let’s hope he goes out and gets a impact guard in the transfer market, if he does I’ll be ready to sing his praises with you.

You people thinking he's going to latch on somewhere do realize he has played exactly ONE year of football in his entire life and that was like 5 years ago, right? One year.

Playing receiver at a college level is more than being able to jump high and catch high school level rainbows. He'd all the sudden have to learn to shake D-1 defenders who are just as fast if not faster than him (no it's not the same as basketball), run routes, block, and catch laser passes that even veteran receivers struggle with. Some of you are making this overly simplistic. And before anyone gives me the "he was a top 300 football recruit," spiel, that's not relevant anymore. It may have been when he was a high school senior and had the chance to practice and develop for 4 years, but not anymore.

Last edited:
I guess my advice would be to have thicker skin or just ignore them, especially if they are just trolling.

I don’t recall seeing these posts you are talking about, but I would have bet every dollar I have that Iowa would have at least one departure this offseason.

As such the Wagner departure really wasn’t a major win. As you said in the post above, Fran is yet to do anything.

Let’s hope he goes out and gets a impact guard in the transfer market, if he does I’ll be ready to sing his praises with you.

I have plenty thick skin, I didn't say it bothered me. I said, I am told that I am a dumb, blind fan who only thinks positive things will happen in the program when I say ANYTHING on the site. I am ok with that, fire away. I don't care what any of you think about me, but expect me to fire back when the pieces start to come together. Iowa lost 2 players who spent 3 years proving they couldn't play at this level. If we can agree that we want Iowa to be better next season, and we can both agree that what it needs wasn't currently on the roster, then I can't see how we can't agree that this kind of thing directly opens the door for positive change.

I have plenty thick skin, I didn't say it bothered me. I said, I am told that I am a dumb, blind fan who only thinks positive things will happen in the program when I say ANYTHING on the site. I am ok with that, fire away. I don't care what any of you think about me, but expect me to fire back when the pieces start to come together. Iowa lost 2 players who spent 3 years proving they couldn't play at this level. If we can agree that we want Iowa to be better next season, and we can both agree that what it needs wasn't currently on the roster, then I can't see how we can't agree that this kind of thing directly opens the door for positive change.
I don’t see us bringing on two new impact guys, unless we have a lot more transfers. So with that said whether we give the scholarship to Connor or if Wagner would have stayed it really didn’t make much of a difference to me. Wagner isn’t a bad guy to have around, he’s played in the NCAA tournament, doesn’t seem like a me guy at all.

I think Wags problem is that he's not tall enough. He's only like 6'4, he's more of a guard size, but he is no guard. Good luck to him in football. Watch him end up at Ohio St, they wanted him when he was in high school. Hope Kirk talks to him asap.

I don’t see us bringing on two new impact guys, unless we have a lot more transfers. So with that said whether we give the scholarship to Connor or if Wagner would have stayed it really didn’t make much of a difference to me. Wagner isn’t a bad guy to have around, he’s played in the NCAA tournament, doesn’t seem like a me guy at all.

You have to try to do it though right? I get that you can't see it. It's unlikely, but Fran's not doing his job if he's not attempting to make the team better through attrition. The roster is currently broken. If you don't try to take a risk to change it and just leave it as is, then you're idiot and people are roasting Fran either way.

You people thinking he's going to latch on somewhere do realize he has played exactly ONE year of football in his entire life and that was like 5 years ago, right? One year.

Playing receiver at a college level is more than being able to jump high and catch high school level rainbows. He'd all the sudden have to learn to shake D-1 defenders who are just as fast if not faster than him (no it's not the same as basketball), run routes, block, and catch lasers from Stanley that even veteran receivers struggle with. Some of you are making this overly simplistic. And before anyone gives me the "he was a top 300 football recruit," spiel, that's not relevant anymore. It may have been when he was a high school senior and had the chance to practice and develop for 4 years, but not anymore.

Not sure but he did look darn good in those videos, which was his 1 and only year ever playing. He's got the athletic ability to overcome what he lacks in experience at the WR position. If he's going to be a tight end then I'd agree more with you, he has to learn interior blocking schemes, something not easy to do with little to no experience.

You have to try to do it though right? I get that you can't see it. It's unlikely, but Fran's not doing his job if he's not attempting to make the team better through attrition. The roster is currently broken. If you don't try to take a risk to change it and just leave it as is, then you're idiot and people are roasting Fran either way.
I don’t think we need two new players (on top of Joe). I think we need another guard and better coaching, which Fran is capable of. Will we see that who knows.

I guess keeping Wagner around has some advantages. He plays hard, he plays defense and he would have been one of two players who have made an NCAA tournament. At the end of the day if the most likely scenario is we get a grad transfer and give Cmac Wagner’s scholarship, I think we would have been better off with Wagner still here and Cmac walking on.

It was Wagner’s decision and I’m happy for him. I’m not going to lose any sleep over his loss as he really didn’t have a big role. With that said I’m not going to chalk this up as a major Fran win either, if he lands two guys that come in and make an impact, I’m all in.

First, in reading his statement, he hasn't eliminated trying out for the Iowa football team, he only stated he's leaving the Iowa basketball program. Second, why not bring him in? It's not as if Iowa has a glut of WRs right now. Maybe he talks to Ferentz and gets an assessment whether he has any shot, and takes it from there. That's what I would recommend to him. Playing for 2 years at Iowa beats sitting a year and playing a year at another big school, and I'd think it would be preferable to playing for a lower tier program, presuming Ferentz gave him a positive review.

I don’t think we need two new players (on top of Joe). I think we need another guard and better coaching, which Fran is capable of. Will we see that who knows.

I guess keeping Wagner around has some advantages. He plays hard, he plays defense and he would have been one of two players who have made an NCAA tournament. At the end of the day if the most likely scenario is we get a grad transfer and give Cmac Wagner’s scholarship, I think we would have been better off with Wagner still here and Cmac walking on.

It was Wagner’s decision and I’m happy for him. I’m not going to lose any sleep over his loss as he really didn’t have a big role. With that said I’m not going to chalk this up as a major Fran win either, if he lands two guys that come in and make an impact, I’m all in.

my point is he has to try and I was told time and time again this year that Fran wouldn't for some real classic reasons. It's not a win until Iowa gets back in the dance. But I am glad we are willing to take a risk to do it and we aren't just staying put. I was told that Fran was happy with the way things were and wouldn't.

Playing receiver at a college level is more than being able to jump high and catch high school level rainbows. He'd all the sudden have to learn to shake D-1 defenders who are just as fast if not faster than him (no it's not the same as basketball), run routes, block, and catch lasers from Stanley that even veteran receivers struggle with. Some of you are making this overly simplistic. And before anyone gives me the "he was a top 300 football recruit," spiel, that's not relevant anymore. It may have been when he was a high school senior and had the chance to practice and develop for 4 years, but not anymore.
I think the majority of people were saying he’d probably go FCS level. He’s going to need some seasoning no question.

Football is a sport where this has happened before many times. It can be done even without a ton of football experience.