Wagner Leaves To Play Football

also - the next time a key contributor transfers out of Iowa to another school, I will consider that "their decision" - or if a never used player, leaves Iowa and goes to a bigger and better school where they excel and become a clear player who got away - I'll consider that "their decision". When guys who can't crack contributing roles on the team after multiple years I feel like there was probably some mutual decisions going on

The voting on there is almost split into thirds amongst their fan base anyway. I can't see him going to another D1 school to sit a year. That'd surprise me. I would like to think if KF would be open to taking him on he'd stay here and have 2 yrs to work his way up instead of going to an FCS school. I'm curious where his head is and what he ends up on deciding to do.

my point is he has to try and I was told time and time again this year that Fran wouldn't for some real classic reasons. It's not a win until Iowa gets back in the dance. But I am glad we are willing to take a risk to do it and we aren't just staying put. I was told that Fran was happy with the way things were and wouldn't.
Do you think Iowa needs to add more than one player? If so, at what positions and who would they remove from the rotation?

Will you consider it a failure if Fran doesn’t bring in another guard?

See me personally I’d like to bring in a guard, but I say that with the thought that I don’t believe Cmac deserves to play much. So I’d like to have player TBD, JBo, Moss, Dailey, Weiskamp, and Baer for the 1-3 spots. It’s hard for me to see how people who think Cmac is going to be a contributor want to bring in multiple guys.

For me it was like, okay Ellingson confirmed what we all believed that he would grad transfer, let’s go see if we can find a grad transfer guard, knowing good and well that would be a tough proposition. When Wagner left I was like, good for Ahmad and hopefully he plays football for Iowa. As far as the scholarship I thought, okay that will likely go to Connor or be banked for 2019 (which is the same class it would have been used on anyway when Wagner graduated). In the rare chance (I’d say 20%) that it’s used on a new player, you then have about say a 50% chance that player is worth anything.

Undersized TE!??? Wuuut!!? Cripes, they don't get much taller. CJ Fed I believe was 6' 7" and he was one of Iowa's tallest TE's ever. You don't see many WR over 6' 4" or 6' 5". Not getting your point there. I'd be fine throwing him at TE at 235 lb if he would be able to handle the blocks but not sure would be at the BIG level. Prob needs to be in the 255 to 260 range.

Because he is already at 235 and presuming will put more wt on. He'd be a mismatch nightmare at TE plus be big enough to be an effective blocker. He may not be quick enough or fast enough for a Div 1 wide receiver, but, I'm not a scout so not for sure. Plus, I think he only played one year of HS football so is pretty inexperienced at this point, in the realm of everything.

His frame fits a Div 1 TE.

Do you think Iowa needs to add more than one player? If so, at what positions and who would they remove from the rotation?

See me personally I’d like to bring in a guard, but I say that with the thought that I don’t believe Cmac deserves to play much. So I’d like to have player TBD, JBo, Moss, Dailey, Weiskamp, and Baer for the 1-3 spots. It’s hard for me to see how people who think Cmac is going to be a contributor want to bring in multiple guys.

For me it was like, okay Ellingson confirmed what we all believed that he would grad transfer, let’s go see if we can find a grad transfer guard, knowing good and well that would be a tough proposition. When Wagner left I was like, good for Ahmad and hopefully he plays football for Iowa. As far as the scholarship I thought, okay that will likely go to Connor or be banked for 2019 (which is the same class it would have been used on anyway when Wagner graduated). In the rare chance (I’d say 20%) that it’s used on a new player, you then have about say a 50% chance that player is worth anything.

I would like a grad transfer PG - so that allows Jordan to be the primary ball handler at least to start the year, but gives more options to move him to the 2 as Connor and TBD grad transfer work their game up for minutes. It would also free him up and give Iowa more opportunities to be able to rest Jordan in spurts. Something they just couldn't do this year. I'm sorry that you don't think Cmac is good enough, he's currently our 2nd or 3rd highest rated recruit on the team so I am willing to at least give him more then 4 games in an injury/illness plagued year before I completely cast him off completely. I also know you believe that he was only ranked highly because of his Dad and I firmly think that is false as well. But, this is old news we're re-hashing - but I will say this, if you are right about CMac and if he is as sub par as you say, then I DEFINITELY want another 1 in some sort of capacity for next season or we're torched.

I think guys like Moss, Dailey, Pemsl, and Kriener are guys who could get knocked from the rotation with the right grad transfer. If a guy like Wieskamp comes in as the 3rd best player, that makes the old 3rd best player the 4th best player. It makes the 8th best player the 9th best player. If we could get a grad transfer that is the new 5th best player, it knocks everyone behind him down one notch, making the team better. If we take chance on a guy who ends up being the 12th best player, then so be it, it didn't work out. But that chance has to be taken. Fran has got to try to turn current starters into bench players and current bench players into bench warmers. You have to remember that the current players obviously aren't that hard to upgrade. Otherwise we wouldn't have sucked so bad this year.

I would like a grad transfer PG - so that allows Jordan to be the primary ball handler at least to start the year, but gives more options to move him to the 2 as Connor and TBD grad transfer work their game up for minutes. It would also free him up and give Iowa more opportunities to be able to rest Jordan in spurts. Something they just couldn't do this year. I'm sorry that you don't think Cmac is good enough, he's currently our 2nd or 3rd highest rated recruit on the team so I am willing to at least give him more then 4 games in an injury/illness plagued year before I completely cast him off completely. I also know you believe that he was only ranked highly because of his Dad and I firmly think that is false as well. But, this is old news we're re-hashing - but I will say this, if you are right about CMac and if he is as sub par as you say, then I DEFINITELY want another 1 in some sort of capacity for next season or we're torched.
So we need two new guards to go along with JBo, Moss, Dailey, Weiskamp, and Baer if Connor doesn’t pan out? That’s a lot of guys. Do you think we can bring in two guards better than the worst guy above or are we going to go 7 deep in the 1-3 spots (maybe 8 with Nunge)?

I think guys like Moss, Dailey, Pemsl, and Kriener are guys who could get knocked from the rotation with the right grad transfer. If a guy like Wieskamp comes in as the 3rd best player, that makes the old 3rd best player the 4th best player. It makes the 8th best player the 9th best player. If we could get a grad transfer that is the new 5th best player, it knocks everyone behind him down one notch, making the team better. If we take chance on a guy who ends up being the 12th best player, then so be it, it didn't work out. But that chance has to be taken. Fran has got to try to turn current starters into bench players and current bench players into bench warmers. You have to remember that the current players obviously aren't that hard to upgrade. Otherwise we wouldn't have sucked so bad this year.
Two things.

You honestly believe that Fran would bench guys like Moss and Pemsl when they have played big minutes over the last two years? He had a hard time doing that with Wagner and Ellingson and they never even played big minutes.

Second I feel our current players with a year more experience are fine. Last year issues to me were more a mismanagement of the minutes and a team chemistry issue than they were a talent issue to me. If you think their are a bunch of grad transfer guards out there better than Moss, I think you’re in for a rude awakeneing.

Again I’m all for bringing on a grad transfer at guard, I just think the idea that we’re going to land multiple impact guys when we have literally brought in only a few transfers since Fran has been here is comical.

Iowa is so in the drivers seat here. Here's what BF can do. Bring him in this spring and use him as a hybrid WR for this yr. Have a small package of plays for him that'd be easy for him to master. Mostly jump balls in the redzone or even bubble screens. Gradually put more on his plate as time goes on and then after this next season hopefully they can throw the whole 9 yards at him. No other school could offer that besides FCS. If he goes to another D1 school and has to sit out and just practice and watch for a year. Why not stay and play two? Don't have to move cities or any of that nonsense.

Iowa is so in the drivers seat here. Here's what BF can do. Bring him in this spring and use him as a hybrid WR for this yr. Have a small package of plays for him that'd be easy for him to master. Mostly jump balls in the redzone or even bubble screens. Gradually put more on his plate as time goes on and then after this next season hopefully they can throw the whole 9 yards at him. No other school could offer that besides FCS. If he goes to another D1 school and has to sit out and just practice and watch for a year. Why not stay and play two? Don't have to move cities or any of that nonsense.
I know man. I’m totally with you especially about using him primarily in the red zone. I’m trying not to get too excited about this but it would be awesome.

Some of you forty and fifty something's may remember that Kent Hill tried out for the football team as a tight end in 1984 or 1985. He broke his hand in the first practice and that was that. He was listed at about 6'6" 225, perfect tight end size.

Some of you forty and fifty something's may remember that Kent Hill tried out for the football team as a tight end in 1984 or 1985. He broke his hand in the first practice and that was that. He was listed at about 6'6" 225, perfect tight end size.

I was actually just thinking about how bad it would suck for him to finally pull the trigger on the move, only to get hurt right away.

Two things.

You honestly believe that Fran would bench guys like Moss and Pemsl when they have played big minutes over the last two years? He had a hard time doing that with Wagner and Ellingson and they never even played big minutes.

Second I feel our current players with a year more experience are fine. Last year issues to me were more a mismanagement of the minutes and a team chemistry issue than they were a talent issue to me. If you think their are a bunch of grad transfer guards out there better than Moss, I think you’re in for a rude awakeneing.

Again I’m all for bringing on a grad transfer at guard, I just think the idea that we’re going to land multiple impact guys when we have literally brought in only a few transfers since Fran has been here is comical.

I do believe he would bench players. You say he had a hard time with Ellingson and Wagner, but he did hardly play them. Uhl went from first guy off the bench to last guy in the rotation. I'm guessing Fran is pretty fed up with Moss, but that's just my guess. Pemsl still has a chance to be good. Just has to be stronger and learn to go left.

I think the odds are pretty low we get someone better than Moss. Mostly because things rarely work out well for Iowa basketball. But I do think if most P5 programs were trying to upgrade their 2 guard who was equal to Moss, they could probably do it. Just not Iowa.

I do believe he would bench players. You say he had a hard time with Ellingson and Wagner, but he did hardly play them. Uhl went from first guy off the bench to last guy in the rotation. I'm guessing Fran is pretty fed up with Moss, but that's just my guess. Pemsl still has a chance to be good. Just has to be stronger and learn to go left.

I think the odds are pretty low we get someone better than Moss. Mostly because things rarely work out well for Iowa basketball. But I do think if most P5 programs were trying to upgrade their 2 guard who was equal to Moss, they could probably do it. Just not Iowa.
The problem was he didn’t really bench Wagner and Ellingson, or he half assed it anyway. That was a big issue this year, nobody knew their roles.

Pemsl is a lefty who always goes left. He’s plenty strong and his offense is fine when he’s on the block. He needs to be better defensively and isn’t suited to play the 4 for big minutes.

The problem was he didn’t really bench Wagner and Ellingson, or he half assed it anyway. That was a big issue this year, nobody knew their roles.

Pemsl is a lefty who always goes left. He’s plenty strong and his offense is fine when he’s on the block. He needs to be better defensively and isn’t suited to play the 4 for big minutes.

He's strong, just not strong with the ball. And for his game to work, he needs to be extremely strong.

And what do you mean he didn't bench them? By the end of the year, they were hardly playing at all. I think other than Nunge, everyone knew their role. It's just that most weren't happy with their roles.

One crazy thing about Pemsl is the guy guarding him overplays the left so much, that he's practically giving him a wide open layup to the right. Pemsl is so good at going left, he can still get scoring opportunities going left even with the way he's being guarded. I can't decide if it's impressive he can still get around guys to the left , or if it's unimpressive that he can't just take the wide open layup to the right. All he has to do is just get average going right so he can take the wide open layup. Then guys can quit cheating so bad and he can start going left again. It's hard to make sense with what I mean so sorry if it's confusing.

One crazy thing about Pemsl is the guy guarding him overplays the left so much, that he's practically giving him a wide open layup to the right. Pemsl is so good at going left, he can still get scoring opportunities going left even with the way he's being guarded. I can't decide if it's impressive he can still get around guys to the left , or if it's unimpressive that he can't just take the wide open layup to the right. All he has to do is just get average going right so he can take the wide open layup. Then guys can quit cheating so bad and he can start going left again. It's hard to make sense with what I mean so sorry if it's confusing.
Know exactly what you're saying. If a dead pull hitter in baseball starts hitting doubles and triples to right and right center defenses are going to stop play him to pull the ball.

I totally agree he's gotta be frustrated with Moss. I mean dude he's the most Jekle and Hyde type of player we've ever had. The fact he's capable of putting up 19 pts in 2 mins or whatever the heck he did once and then lay eggs of games where he only puts up 5 or 6 and be invisible out there is just nuts. If If If Weiskamp is good or better than advertised I sure hope he's taking some of Moss's mins. But due to how the roster is Moss is still going to play a lot.
Pemsl I'm afraid I disagree with you on. I think he is who he is. Skill wise he's just going to be the occasionally crafty lefty around the rim. But that's it. I don't see him averaging 10 pts or 6 plus boards a game I just don't. He isn't good enough to warrant the mins to do it.

He's strong, just not strong with the ball. And for his game to work, he needs to be extremely strong.

And what do you mean he didn't bench them? By the end of the year, they were hardly playing at all. I think other than Nunge, everyone knew their role. It's just that most weren't happy with their roles.
I mean Ahmad Wagner played in 30 if our 33 games, and I think he was injured for the others. If you’re getting minutes in every game you’re not really benched. Fran couldn’t decide, so he tried to play everyone, and it hurt us.