Wagner Leaves To Play Football

NK21, I think we only have 1 scholly, right? Uhl, Brady and Ahmad's. Weiskamp and Fredrick each get one. So, we have just 1 left. And I do hope its a grad xfer or juco at pg.
Frederick got Williams scholarship. He was originally committed as a walk on but Fran promised him that once a scholly was available it was his.

Two scholarships after today’s departures. Some speculation that one would go to Connor but we are flexible.

well it is only 1/2 a day since scholarship opened.

When a wife divorces it’s best not to get remarried the same day.

And it still has to be a marriage by consent. Or offering a grad transfer PG requires a willing participant.
Thanks for bringing me to my senses. But damn, if Illinois and Nebraska can do it, even if it takes a month or two, I'm down with it. Like Rob said, more transfers may be coming.

In 1990, Tom Davis locked up Val Barnes, Kevin Smith and Jim Bartels after the season ended. Not a bad haul for that late.

It's March 20. I should have calmed down. BTW Jordan Caroline would look good if he decided to play his senior year elsewhere. Dude has heart. And he's a natural three.

I'll call it now, if Wagner stays to play football, he'll start and look better than Lazard playing receiver. Bigger, faster, stronger, smarter. Just imagine for a moment even Josh Jackson or Desmond King trying to fight of a block from Ahmad. Or trying to knock away a jump ball.

I also like how Brady leaving was a foregone conclusion to everyone who a day ago had him in all their next year plans and claimed Iowa wasn’t making plans for open spots
I think the confusion around Ellingson was fair, due to the lack of him being honored on Senior night.

I’d love to see quotes of that. Anyone who follows Iowa closely knew this was his last year, Fran basically inferred it before the year.

Also since I’m here. You still haven’t answered the question as to how replacing two guys at the very bottom of our rotation with new guys would fix our issue of playing too many guys / having too long of a rotation?

We had lots of problems this year. If trading 2 guys at the end of the rotation for 2 guys at the beginning of the rotation can cure every problem except the one you mentioned, it would be a good thing wouldn't it?

Good lord we just had 5 months of talking about how we wanted BE and AW to move on and now they do and now it’s a bad thing because Fran hasn’t replaced them yet
It's half of the equation. If they moved on and are replaced by 2.0...it's not a good thing.

We had lots of problems this year. If trading 2 guys at the end of the rotation for 2 guys at the beginning of the rotation can cure every problem except the one you mentioned, it would be a good thing wouldn't it?
That’s a respectable answer yes. It’s a loaded question really. At some point you need guys at the end of the bench. It’s certainty not a bad thing to have a guy like Wagner there for foul trouble or injuries.

I don’t see us bringing on two new players unless we have more transfers coming. I’m happy for Ahmad but I’m not ready to sing Fran’s praises just yet. If he brings in an impact transfer at the guard spot I’ll be right there with @InGoodCo singing his praises.

The other thing with that though is that we had the open scholarship with Brady leaving anyway so again it just was a really weird time to sing Fran’s praises. For instance say we bring in a grad transfer and give Ahmad’s scholarship to Cmac, that would be no different than bringing in a grad transfer and Cmac’s just walking on assuming Ahmad was still on the team. Basically the only way I see this as a real plus is if we bring in two new impact guys, which is unlikely.

I’ll bet everyone on the board a hundred large he’s going to an FCS school close to home.

One doesn’t just hop on an even mediocre B1G football team after not playing the game for almost 5 years. That’s 1980s teen movie level stupid to think it’s possible.

It isn’t strictly athleticism either. Even if the guy was a freak talent he’d waste an entire year learning the scheme, playbook, and trying to get up to the speed of major football.

Look how hard Easley and Butler said it was and they had been playing football with no interruption.

I’ll bet everyone on the board a hundred large he’s going to an FCS school close to home.

One doesn’t just hop on an even mediocre B1G football team after not playing the game for almost 5 years. That’s 1980s teen movie level stupid to think it’s possible.

It isn’t strictly athleticism either. Even if the guy was a freak talent he’d waste an entire year learning the scheme, playbook, and trying to get up to the speed of major football.

Look how hard Easley and Butler said it was and they had been playing football with no interruption.

I'd watch that movie.

Wishing the departed the best and now it's up to McCaffery to take advantage of this opportunity to strengthen this team. Addition through subtraction.........let's get on with it. I think we'll see good things come of this.

I'll call it now, if Wagner stays to play football, he'll start and look better than Lazard playing receiver. Bigger, faster, stronger, smarter. Just imagine for a moment even Josh Jackson or Desmond King trying to fight of a block from Ahmad. Or trying to knock away a jump ball.
Puff, puff, pass

That's the thing. It's only good if Fran replaces them with immediate contributors. Lets hope that's what happens.

It will be a good thing if he finds better players. It will be a good thing if he doesn't find anyone, but at least he can't be tempted to play them. It will be a bad thing if he brings in no one AND we have a shit ton of injuries to the point where we needed the end of the bench.

That’s a respectable answer yes. It’s a loaded question really. At some point you need guys at the end of the bench. It’s certainty not a bad thing to have a guy like Wagner there for foul trouble or injuries.

I don’t see us bringing on two new players unless we have more transfers coming. I’m happy for Ahmad but I’m not ready to sing Fran’s praises just yet. If he brings in an impact transfer at the guard spot I’ll be right there with @InGoodCo singing his praises.

The other thing with that though is that we had the open scholarship with Brady leaving anyway so again it just was a really weird time to sing Fran’s praises. For instance say we bring in a grad transfer and give Ahmad’s scholarship to Cmac, that would be no different than bringing in a grad transfer and Cmac’s just walking on assuming Ahmad was still on the team. Basically the only way I see this as a real plus is if we bring in two new impact guys, which is unlikely.

Just so you know, InGoodCo was going after the guys who said Fran would do nothing and be fine with the roster he had. Guys were saying the roster wouldn't change because Fran didn't care enough to change it, thanks to his buyout.

Since we don't know for sure what part Fran played in them leaving, I'm not willing to get fully behind InGoodCo. But I see what he's doing. Phase one of improving the team is complete.

Frederick got Williams scholarship. He was originally committed as a walk on but Fran promised him that once a scholly was available it was his.

Two scholarships after today’s departures. Some speculation that one would go to Connor but we are flexible.

oh, right. So Uhl, Williams, Brady and Ahmad leaves 2 left. thx NH21.

I don’t disagree with that. The only slight advantage at Iowa is he if he can practice here in the spring while he is still enrolled here.

I got a little dizzy reading this thread, with the variety of viewpoints and some back and forth arguments. I guess I don't see a major complexity facing Iowa basketball given these two transfers. I am happy for both Brady and Ahmad and wish them all the best. I think both of them probably made good decisions. Fran cares about his players and he was likely very candid with them regarding playing time down the road. Good grief! Its not like everyone on this board did not know that Brady and Ahmad were borderline players.

So, Iowa has two open scholarships. I doubt that he will give one of those to Connor. I think its a safe bet that Fran and his assistants fully recognize that they need help at the guard spot, especially on the point. duh.

So, they could go after a transfer. But, hey. It is late March. Although I am sure the coaches have anticipated transfers and have been checking out the potential transfers, the timing is not great. Lots of competition and an abbreviated time frame.

Maybe the smart thing is to test the transfer market and if that does not look promising, look for 1 diamond in the rough and bank the second scholarship. Or, save both of them.

Yeah. I would love to take 2 quality point guards. Is it realistic to think that can be done at this point? I think not.

Finally, do you really think that Connor, and Fran for that matter, don't know that if Iowa recruits a really good point guard or two, Connor may face the possibility of a backup role in his future? This is, after all, Power 5 college basketball. Fran and Connor are big boys.