UPDATED: Adam Woodbury block-o-meter thread

Re: OFFICIAL: Adam Woodbury block-o-meter thread

Thats not fair to blame that all on basabe, mccabe was a big reason the interior D was bad. i recall Mel played well against some the best big men in the conference and its a new year defensive schemes adjust and players improve

Thats not fair to blame that all on basabe, mccabe was a big reason the interior D was bad. i recall Mel played well against some the best big men in the conference and its a new year defensive schemes adjust and players improve

Everybody we could throw in there was at a physical disadvantage, and it showed. McCabe was a big part of the problem, but so was Mel. It was understandable, considering their disadvantage, but they were both a big part of the problem.

I think basabe brings something we don't have in the starting lineup which is athleticism, when he posts up down low good things happen, also his defense has been good this season he helps out on the perimeter and is quick enough to protect against penetration

A lot of people had unrealistic expectations. There is a difference in pointing out weaknesses (some of which are concerning in terms of not improving such as lack of quickness), and bashing. The point on the lack of dunking, although maybe to the point of bashing could speak to a lack of coordination, quickness, and competitive drive. Speaking to real terms is not bashing. It is way to early to tell. Naturally I would like to see him get more experience, but obviously even Fran thought it was too much last night....barring an injury.

Again, the problem here is that some want no criticism and seem to think any such thing is a bad omen or something.

Others had too high of expectations.

This is a discussion board for hopefully intelligent discussion. It is not the Hawkeye Cheerleading Board.

Please tell me how dunking translate to competitive drive TIA

Going to the basket with the idea that you WILL dunk no matter who is in your way is one sign of physical toughness. Granted, Woody hasn't had many dunks this year, but he isn't going to the basket with the idea that he WILL dunk; he's going to the basket to lay up. A nice windmill lefty dunk would be a crowd pleaser and let the opponent know that "Hey, get out of my way or you'll go through the hoop with the ball".

Sure he doesn't go the the rack with an "I'm gonna dunk on you mindset" but he does slam his wang in a car door every Thursday after practice and that's a sign of toughness too.

Going to the basket with the idea that you WILL dunk no matter who is in your way is one sign of physical toughness. Granted, Woody hasn't had many dunks this year, but he isn't going to the basket with the idea that he WILL dunk; he's going to the basket to lay up. A nice windmill lefty dunk would be a crowd pleaser and let the opponent know that "Hey, get out of my way or you'll go through the hoop with the ball".

So competitive drive = physical toughness.... ok

I really don't care if he dunks the ball as long as he makes the basket. He is more concerned with that than a highlight dunk. His jump hook with either hand is a potent weapon and will only get better. He also has limited range with a jump shot inside the paint almost to the free throw line. His presence in the paint on D has certainly helped considerably......

All that said, there have been a Couple of times when I mentioned to my son that perhaps he should have dunked that one......

If you have to ask that about today's basketball player, it shows you haven't been around today's basketball players.... if you are being a smart alek.. If not, the armored one answered it and I do apologize. The reasons one couldn't would be:

Lack of quickness to get some separation.

Lack of physical strength to power up against bodies

Lack of coordination

A modest competitor - was more common in the past

Lack of competitiveness

I have no idea which it is exactly. Likely a combination. He kind of reminds me of my oldest son. Fantastic soccer player. Really could have played college soccer, like #2 did until a concussion ended it. He decided not to play in college. What he told me was that he enjoyed being better at it than most others more than he liked soccer. At the college level, he wasn't going to be better than everyone. Maybe??? None of us really know the outcome yet. What ever the case, when Fran gets us better, we won't need to rely on freshmen that are not completely ready as much as now.

If Woody could really jump and was a half to full step quicker he would be a lottery pick next year.

He isn't and STOP bashing him. He can run the floor, IS COMPETITIVE AS HELL, coachable and wants to get better. He can score with either hand and with high level coaching over the coming years will be a beast... as he becomes stronger.

He needs to be come stronger (did you get it?) and will with work in the weight room and has better than average hands.

On top of that he has GREAT VISION and a GREAT PASSER for a big man.

Woody is such a great kid, a contributer and competitor and a HAWKEYE. Why Jon allows a thread dissing a teenager at Iowa like this is beyond me.

This thread ends now!!!! Nothing else can be said!!!! Delete the thread and ban the poster NOW!!!

C'mon Jon do it NOW!

If you have to ask that about today's basketball player, it shows you haven't been around today's basketball players.... if you are being a smart alek.. If not, the armored one answered it and I do apologize. The reasons one couldn't would be:

Lack of coordination

Lack of competitiveness

I have no idea which it is exactly. Likely a combination. He kind of reminds me of my oldest son. Fantastic soccer player. Really could have played college soccer, like #2 did until a concussion ended it. He decided not to play in college. What he told me was that he enjoyed being better at it than most others more than he liked soccer. At the college level, he wasn't going to be better than everyone. Maybe??? None of us really know the outcome yet. What ever the case, when Fran gets us better, we won't need to rely on freshmen that are not completely ready as much as now.

Here's a word of advice, no one on this board gives a **** that your son is a *****.

If it wasn't for a concussion he would have been the next Steven Gerrard.

Actually it would have been Kenny Dalglish. Concussed.... not so much, maybe a blow to the balls that would result in the family jewels turning up only cosmetic.

I wish and you are a DICK head. go away.

As I said, nice intelligent conversation. Hugs and kisses to you.

Ok your way. Iowa is Great. Only refs cause Iowa to lose. All Iowa recruits are great, unless it's someone you don't like.....ya ya ya.

Anyone who resorts to that kind of language to get their message out XXXXX.

This would be quite the board if all posted like you!

Some of you have way to high of expectations because Big Roy offered him. He's not ready for B1G yet so what's the big deal? He hasn't done much against B1G type teams.

Oh I'm a bad person for looking at reality.

NOTE: I have not said he won't work out, but some of you can't read for content.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nice intelligent conversation btw!

Your intelligent conversation has been saying, over and over, that Fran needs to recruit better, more athletic players. Well no **** brah, that's what every coach is trying to do. You keep making an extremely obvious point again and again.

Last edited:

Lack of coordination

Lack of competitiveness

Your kid was a big fish in a small pond and chose not to play college soccer. Even if you consider Woody a big fish from a small pond, how is he anything like your son? He's playing basketball in the Big 10.

Woodbury is a pretty fierce competitor, and only someone who hasn't been watching him would argue otherwise. Did he get pushed around pretty good by Nix? Absolutely, he gives up about 60 pounds to that behemoth. But he kept coming back for more and wasn't at all afraid to mix it up with him.

g12c000000000000000a7f925579ae68cc47715f8cc6b23e446266adcf6.jpg

Will you stop posting now?
THANK YOU!! Nominated for 2013 HN Most Appreciated Post.

I think basabe brings something we don't have in the starting lineup which is athleticism, when he posts up down low good things happen, also his defense has been good this season he helps out on the perimeter and is quick enough to protect against penetration

Did you watch Mel last year? He played with zero enthusiasm a lot of games. This year Mel has looked better, but not good enough to unseat Woodbury, but then again, he actually is a PF and has not played better than White.

When Mel is playing well, he gets a lot more minutes, so those games he hasn't played a ton in, he starts slow or has been in foul trouble. If Mel is playing, like against MSU, then I like him to get as many minutes as he can play so long as he isn't in foul trouble.

I like Basabe as much as the next person, but he more flawed than the guys playing ahead of him and he is a junior, he is a lot better this year so far, but not all the time.

Latest posts