UPDATED: Adam Woodbury block-o-meter thread

Re: OFFICIAL: Adam Woodbury block-o-meter thread

Take your "Don't bash players" attitude over to the Oglesby thread that is literally named "Josh Oglesby" for you guys. Tell them that.

Common sense.

I must not have that, give me specific information that you have or have seen that leads you to believe that Woodbury will not get better. I want more than just the name of another player, you say Zeller and I come back with Meyers Leonard and I can do that all day.

What else you got?

Will depend entirely on his competitive spirit. He has never experienced stuff like this before. Illinois has a treasure box of 7 footers who didn't pan out due to competiveness....except they always seemed to have career games against the Hawks...usually from 3 land.

I agree and that's why I am a fan. I think he has a good head an IS competitive. I saw it against isu and zeller.

While I'm not at either end of the Woodbury spectrum and think he will eventually get there. The fact is that the kid is a seven footer that lacks the mindset to throw it down and is satisfied with layups and 2-4 foot jumpshots. While I see nothing wrong with this I would like to see him throwing down. At that size, given he doesn't have alot of hops or upper body strength to go through a defender, I think its more about frame of mind and mentality to either be content with layup or jumper or having a bigger ego and going with the more aggressive/ prettier dunk. While I think he will develop I don't think throwing it down is something that 7 footers "get better at" with practice over the course of their careers. I think its a confidence/ego thing and he will either develop it or he won't but I don't think its something that we will be "working on" in the future. Sorry but I just don't fall into the category that says coaching has anything to do with a 7 footer throwing it down more.

I must not have that, give me specific information that you have or have seen that leads you to believe that Woodbury will not get better. I want more than just the name of another player, you say Zeller and I come back with Meyers Leonard and I can do that all day.

What else you got?

Myers Leonard had a several year starter playing in front of him. He was not a starter until his 2nd year. You can't compare 1st year stats with him. Adam should not be starting either if he was on a solid team.

It does involve a Chang of competition though and whereas no one would block his lay ins at the hs level, they are now and he will adapt and start throwingg them down. Also... That touch you are talking about doesn't always come with seven footers, it is also something that he uses in other areas in good ways. Raef lafrenze had that soft touch and it made him very good at ku

Oh no, he absolutely will in my opinion. You will see big improvements in his confidence, his finishes, his strength.

Don't be so quick to judge give this guy a chance to make his case on why he thinks Woodbury will not get any better. So far all he has given us is the name of another player and "common sense". Maybe he can change our mind on why he thinks a young player who will just turn 19 years old on Sunday will never get better.

This should be interesting.

Don't be so quick to judge give this guy a chance to make his case on why he thinks Woodbury will not get any better. So far all he has given us is the name of another player and "common sense". Maybe he can change our mind on why he thinks a young player who will just turn 19 years old on Sunday will never get better.

This should be interesting.

Besides he's 19 years old why don't you prove to me that he's going to improve.

I'm going just based on my own personal experience in playing at different levels and stages and what I see in him. I see a nice I side shot from him that will be tough to stop when he gains confidence. I see a competitor with spirit that is huge in any sport or level. I see good hands and a soft touch. I was moved to the varsity as a sophomore (the first time it had happened at my school in a long time) and it took me until the end of that year to get comfy. Same in college, took me a at leasta half of the frosh season.

Myers Leonard had a several year starter playing in front of him. He was not a starter until his 2nd year. You can't compare 1st year stats with him.

Sure I can, go look at his stats. He averaged 8 minutes per game while Woodbury averages 16 minutes per game. So just double everything, you will notice he still does not have the numbers Woodbury has.

Adam should not be starting either if he was on a solid team.

Exactly! Seven foot centers are notorious slow starters.

Acie Earl, one of Iowa's best Centers of all time, check out his numbers as a freshman:

Acie Earl Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

I do not remember if Earl started as a freshman but he did get 16 minutes per game on a bad Iowa team. Except for his free throw shooting and his blocked shots Woodbury is ahead of where Earl was as a freshman.

Besides he's 19 years old why don't you prove to me that he's going to improve.

Because I asked first and, besides, you were the one making statements on how Woodbury will never get any better. I am asking you to post facts to support your statement.

He has a little turn around hook that will be a very nice shot for him once he gets his confidence at this level. Just watch. He will have some nice finishes at the hoop that will have some talking about how nice a finish he has too.

I'm going just based on my own personal experience in playing at different levels and stages and what I see in him. I see a nice I side shot from him that will be tough to stop when he gains confidence. I see a competitor with spirit that is huge in any sport or level. I see good hands and a soft touch. I was moved to the varsity as a sophomore (the first time it had happened at my school in a long time) and it took me until the end of that year to get comfy. Same in college, took me a at leasta half of the frosh season.

Woodbury has great touch, it's going to be nice when he's an upperclassmen and we can just throw it into him on the block and let him get a lil hook shot on almost anyone. This season will be a terrific learning experience for him, combine that with a couple years in a B10 strength and conditioning program and he will be more than solid.

Yeah, I like him and am not worried at all. I see a real competitor in him and that was one of the most important things I found in my experience that set ayers apart. Not the only thing, you def have to have some skills, but it's up there in terms if what separates good players.

Sure I can, go look at his stats. He averaged 8 minutes per game while Woodbury averages 16 minutes per game. So just double everything, you will notice he still does not have the numbers Woodbury has.

Exactly! Seven foot centers are notorious slow starters.

Acie Earl, one of Iowa's best Centers of all time, check out his numbers as a freshman:

Acie Earl Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

I do not remember if Earl started as a freshman but he did get 16 minutes per game on a bad Iowa team. Except for his free throw shooting and his blocked shots Woodbury is ahead of where Earl was as a freshman.

Tell me that AW can currently do these things...if you want to look at stats only. In HS, the quickness wasn't on the same level.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6pmJdDvF_Y

Latest posts