Tyler Ulis Trims List to 4

Some reports have.............

* Ulis reportedly taking an official at Iowa during the Missouri State football weekend

* Fran will continue the hard press on this fella much like he did with Gesell and Woodbury.......personally attending all of Ulis's AAU games.

Fran is relentless is going after some of these players. Wouldn't bet against him. People make the difference!

I agree with you, but the fact that this really hasn't worked well in the past, it is just a little bit shaky. A few good seasons and I will feel better about it, but right now my gut says he is probably going to MSU. I hope I am wrong, but that is just the way I feel. Both Ty and his father always say the right things about Iowa and MSU. MSU just may be hard to say no to. This year MSU will be good, next year barring deflections, they could be great. (Edit- Next year they will be great, the roster I looked at said 13/14 roster but was actually last years. Plus Harris is going to be gone after next year)

Agreed. Good out of state players don't generally tend to show up until after you have had a bit of real success for them to see. Iowa has yet to really accomplish anything but that should change this year.

I don't think people appreciate how tough it was just getting the good instate guys when you have been bad for so long. That was the crucial turning point, momentum will snowball from there and has already started to.

Would be awesome to get him but Iowa will be fine with or without Ullis. I don't expect to get him but I expect to get someone just as good if not better next year.

Recruiting will be so much easier after the Hawks get back in the tourney this season.

Some reports have.............

* Ulis reportedly taking an official at Iowa during the Missouri State football weekend

* Fran will continue the hard press on this fella much like he did with Gesell and Woodbury.......personally attending all of Ulis's AAU games.

Fran is relentless is going after some of these players. Wouldn't bet against him. People make the difference!

AAU is done for the year. Ulis will be starting his senior year soon and then it's just official visits until decision time.

I dont think Ulis is going anywhere to come off the bench, freshman or not.

Ulis
Gesell
Uthoff
White
Woodbury

Looks good to me. SIGN HIM UP!!

Sorry, but that is not the lineup if Ulis is starting at PG.

No way Fran goes with that short of a backcourt when Jok is available with a year under his belt.

If Ulis starts, that means Gesell is coming off the bench.

That's a good starting lineup. But what happens when your front line players have to come out?

I understand the desire to get a player of his stature and the need to replenish PGs, an yes, you would not turn him down.

But the Hawks will have radical needs at other positions immediately.

If he was a top 50 PF or wing, it would be a totally different issue for me.

No way Fran goes with that short of a backcourt when Jok is available with a year under his belt.

That's a good starting lineup. But what happens when your front line players have to come out?

I understand the desire to get a player of his stature and the need to replenish PGs, an yes, you would not turn him down.

It's a lot easier to pull in good big men when you can show them a top-flight point guard who can get them the ball for easy scoring chances.

We're talking about an elite point guard in this class and he's clearly VERY interested in Iowa. We are in no position to turn up our noses because we don't "need" a point guard in this class. This program is still not completely built. We're not in the reloading stage just yet. We're in the "let's hoard as much talent as we can" stage. The development of Marble, Basabe, etc., and last year's recruiting class were an excellent start, but it's not done yet.

My point was Ulis is going to be starting from day one, not who will be starting with him. And you are right, it could be Jok.

And we have 3 or 4 rides to give this year, depending on when Fran wants to use the scholly from Ingram's transfer.

Plenty of room to get Ulis and still focus on other areas of need.

I dont think Ulis is going anywhere to come off the bench, freshman or not.

Ulis
Gesell
Uthoff
White
Woodbury

Looks good to me. SIGN HIM UP!!

Didn't read the thread, but is this because you think Jok will have already been a lottery pick? ;)

Is that what I said? No.

I simply pointed out how idiotic your assertion was that when Guerrero didnt become a Hawkeye it was a terrible thing for the program.

Did I touch a nerve? I was merely stating that the fanbase was all giddy about getting Guerrero as well and then we didn't end up getting him. Same deal here with Ulis.

Did I touch a nerve? I was merely stating that the fanbase was all giddy about getting Guerrero as well and then we didn't end up getting him. Same deal here with Ulis.

Meh, thats not how it came across. You said "we all know how that ended". It ended up working out just fine for the Hawks, and not so well for Okie State.

Meh, thats not how it came across. You said "we all know how that ended". It ended up working out just fine for the Hawks, and not so well for Okie State.

Dude, it's all semantics. I didn't even know all that happened to Cezar at the time of my post. Just meant that we didn't get him and Okie St. did. I see what you mean in the end, as it did work out for us.

So...apparently Ulis picked up a Kentucky offer today.

NikeMeanstreetsChi ‏@nikemeanstreets 1h

Tyler Ulis picks up offer from the University of Kentucky while on a visit today. Congrats Tyler

So...apparently Ulis picked up a Kentucky offer today.

NikeMeanstreetsChi ‏@nikemeanstreets 1h

Tyler Ulis picks up offer from the University of Kentucky while on a visit today. Congrats Tyler

The odds of landing Tyler just went from unlikely to highly unlikely. Does Calipari ever lose a recruiting battle??

The odds of landing Tyler just went from unlikely to highly unlikely. Does Calipari ever lose a recruiting battle??

1. It was hardly unlikely before the offer. Nearly everyone was saying Iowa was in the lead for his services over MSU.
2. Yes, Cal has lost recruiting battles, including as recently as the 2013 class (see: Wiggins, Anthony).

Maybe, but as optimistic as I was a week ago, Kentucky offering him pretty much reverses my opinion. We kept hearing how the kid valued trust and loyalty. That is really the only thing Iowa can hang it's hat on now.

I still like Iowa's chances. Fran has been with him since the beginning and he fits into the system. Also has a chance to help Iowa back to the glory days. Only time will tell, best of luck to him no matter the decision. Can't blame him or diss him for choosing any of his final 4.

Kentucky and Cal have a list of top pgs that they are wooing. If Cal loses out on Jones, Muiday, another guy whose name I cannot recall, then Ulis is his fallback plan. Now, that could be a wrong take on this also. I do believe that Cal was very impressed with Ulis in his matchup vs Jones. Ulis has outplayed both of these guys rated higher than him this summer. Cal might be tired of waiting on Jones and Muiday and be ready to settle on Ulis. Now, Schmidt of Ill Prep Bullseye claims that the Ulis camp might not go with Kentucky if they offered...well,they offered,but now no way of knowing if it is unconditional. I suspect it is not, because Jones and Muiday still have yet to make their scheduled official visits in late Sept. Patience,Hawk fans...we are not dead yet on this battle for Ulis.

Latest posts