Tyler Ulis Trims List to 4

Not that it tells us anything we don't already know, but I love his comment about Fran.

"What is being said about Tyler now is the stuff Fran said about him last year."

Fran knows talent, I still love his analysis of Trey Burke when Iowa made a run at him when Burke opened up his recruiting. He said Burke was the best player on the floor everytime I watched him play. Yet Burke never broke into the top 100 on the recruiting services...not a surprise.

Papa Ulis' comments are very encouraging, IMO.

They are, but I still don't like what he says about Kentucky and all the references to the NBA, including the USC coach. If they are looking at that aspect, I am not sure Iowa is the favorite, but if you can ball, you will be in the NBA, plain and simple.

This would be a major get for Fran and the program. When you toss in MSU and Kentucky that ups the stakes. Hopefully all of the time Fran and Co. have put in recruiting him will help sway him toward Iowa City. But if he chooses MSU it won't be a shock.

They are, but I still don't like what he says about Kentucky and all the references to the NBA, including the USC coach. If they are looking at that aspect, I am not sure Iowa is the favorite, but if you can ball, you will be in the NBA, plain and simple.

Hes seems to have the thought process backwards if thats what hes thinking. Going to Kentucky doesn't get you to the NBA, being ready for the NBA gets you to Kentucky.

If this kids worried about the NBA then wow, he might be a little delusional.

It shows that Fran can spot talent..then again we knew that with Aaron White...and Basabe. Few were after Peter Jok last October, other than Iowa and ISU, Drake and UNI...but Iowa saw something other big schools weren't buying...and Jok went out and led state in scoring...then led PTL in scoring. I don't think he does that kind of thing this year, but he has more game than most thought. All of it bodes well for future.

It shows that Fran can spot talent..then again we knew that with Aaron White...and Basabe. Few were after Peter Jok last October, other than Iowa and ISU, Drake and UNI...but Iowa saw something other big schools weren't buying...and Jok went out and led state in scoring...then led PTL in scoring. I don't think he does that kind of thing this year, but he has more game than most thought. All of it bodes well for future.

Fran and staff have certainly increased the talent level at Iowa. I understand he brought the relationship with Basabe with him when he came to Iowa. I also understand the head coach must approve all actual scholarship offers. Having said that, from what I understand, the head coach is seldom the one that "finds" or "spots" talent, rather that is the role played by the assistants...regardless of the program, yet the head coach is likely the "closer." Beyond Basabe, who was the lead on the other two?

Here is a brief Q&A session with Ulis from Kentucky Sports Radio:
Kentucky Sports Radio » Blog Archive » Tyler Ulis talks recruitment, Kentucky, and Calipari

What are your thoughts on UK’s program?
I think that UK is a great program because Coach Calipari is a great at developing his players over their college career and winning games.

Have you attention from Big Blue Nation on Twitter since the news came out?
Yeah, there’s been a lot of people on Twitter tweeting about Kentucky starting to recruit me.

How much have you talked to Coach Cal and Coach O?
I haven’t talked to them yet. They have talked with my dad.

Are you planning to visit UK this year and where are your other visits?
Yes, I plan on visiting UK sometime when I get back from Chris Paul camp. We haven’t decided on other visits yet.

Have you put any timetable on your decision?
NO, I haven’t put a timetable on it. I’ll decide whenever I feel like I know what school is best for me.

What are you looking for in the school you choose?
I want a school that has a style of play that fits my game and a good relationship with a coaching staff

What’s the most appealing part of UK?
The most appealing part of UK is all the players that Coach Cal has coached and sent pro. He’s been really successful when it comes to point guards. He’s really hard on them which I like.

I hate trying to read between the lines, but I think Iowa is in the driver's seat for Ulis based on how he answered these questions. He wants to play somewhere that fits his game and has good relationship with the staff. The only school on his list that you would say without a doubt covers both of those is Iowa. Also, I think his answer about his dad being the only one that has talked to UK sort of gives credence to the rumors that his dad was the one recruiting UK. As far as relationships with the staffs go, Iowa has been the only school on the list where the Ulis camp has continually talked about the relationship they've had with Fran. If you take him at his word when he says he'll make his decision when he feels he knows what school fits best, I think it is possible he commits before taking all of his visits. I have no clue how official visits work, but I'm hoping when he takes his official to Iowa they get him into a scrimmage of some sort that will show him that he is the piece that can take Fran's offense to the next level.

I think this ones slipping away. As we just saw in the football program. When the big programs come to town the recruits follow.

This kid has to realize that Iowa has been recruiting him the hardest and I think that ways heavy down the stretch....My gut says he's ours. I know, I know, kids change their minds but Fran and Co. have really stepped up...jmo

This kid has to realize that Iowa has been recruiting him the hardest and I think that ways heavy down the stretch....My gut says he's ours. I know, I know, kids change their minds but Fran and Co. have really stepped up...jmo

There are times that really makes all the difference. Let's hope so this time.....

I would far from count Iowa out of this one folks, just basing this on his interviews in the past. Ulis has stressed time and time again that relationship with the head coach is important and who has been recruiting him the longest is important. Of the list, Iowa has been on him far longer than anyone else. What could change that is the fact that the family has a personal relationship with Izzo and Walton went there. It could work either way, he wants to make his own path, or follow family.

There is a lot of time left and honestly, that works against Iowa, but Izzo isn't dumb, you know he has other guys that will take an offer in a heartbeat as well, so I don't know that Iowa is in trouble in this case either. If Ulis wavers with Izzo like he has been doing since Jones is not headed to MSU for a visit, Izzo will just go after someone else, he has that luxury.

I would far from count Iowa out of this one folks, just basing this on his interviews in the past. Ulis has stressed time and time again that relationship with the head coach is important and who has been recruiting him the longest is important. Of the list, Iowa has been on him far longer than anyone else. What could change that is the fact that the family has a personal relationship with Izzo and Walton went there. It could work either way, he wants to make his own path, or follow family.

There is a lot of time left and honestly, that works against Iowa, but Izzo isn't dumb, you know he has other guys that will take an offer in a heartbeat as well, so I don't know that Iowa is in trouble in this case either. If Ulis wavers with Izzo like he has been doing since Jones is not headed to MSU for a visit, Izzo will just go after someone else, he has that luxury.

I agree with you, but the fact that this really hasn't worked well in the past, it is just a little bit shaky. A few good seasons and I will feel better about it, but right now my gut says he is probably going to MSU. I hope I am wrong, but that is just the way I feel. Both Ty and his father always say the right things about Iowa and MSU. MSU just may be hard to say no to. This year MSU will be good, next year barring deflections, they could be great. (Edit- Next year they will be great, the roster I looked at said 13/14 roster but was actually last years. Plus Harris is going to be gone after next year)

Last edited:
I agree with you, but the fact that this really hasn't worked well in the past, it is just a little bit shaky. A few good seasons and I will feel better about it, but right now my gut says he is probably going to MSU. I hope I am wrong, but that is just the way I feel. Both Ty and his father always say the right things about Iowa and MSU. MSU just may be hard to say no to. This year MSU will be good, next year barring deflections, they could be great.

Harris isn't coming back after next season and Appling is graduating. In all honesty, he will probably start from Day 1 at MSU. I am not sure how great they can be the following year after Payne, Appling and Harris are gone, Dawson is considered a player that may jump ship as well.

MSU has Cliff Alexander going for them at this time, what is surprising is that he hasn't committed to MSU at this point. MSU is actually on the cusp of losing all their top targets at this time with Jones/Okafor, but also Alexander not committing at this point and some other top tier guys spurning them at this point. I did see they offered Reid Travis and Jaylen Johnson, but they don't have any elite PG's on their short lists at this point, unless you count Ulis.

If MSU didn't have family ties with Ulis, he would have committed to Iowa already with the amount of focus Iowa has put on him, that is just my personal opinion.

Harris isn't coming back after next season and Appling is graduating. In all honesty, he will probably start from Day 1 at MSU. I am not sure how great they can be the following year after Payne, Appling and Harris are gone, Dawson is considered a player that may jump ship as well.

MSU has Cliff Alexander going for them at this time, what is surprising is that he hasn't committed to MSU at this point. MSU is actually on the cusp of losing all their top targets at this time with Jones/Okafor, but also Alexander not committing at this point and some other top tier guys spurning them at this point. I did see they offered Reid Travis and Jaylen Johnson, but they don't have any elite PG's on their short lists at this point, unless you count Ulis.

If MSU didn't have family ties with Ulis, he would have committed to Iowa already with the amount of focus Iowa has put on him, that is just my personal opinion.

I didn't even know Cliff Alexander was looking at MSU that seriously. I just kept hearing his name with the Jones/Okafor tandem, but heard he probably wouldn't go to the same school as them but it would be nice. But I caught my mistake and edited my previous post before you replied. I agree there is no way Harris comes back and if Valentine has a good year he may jump ship as well. This year's recruiting class isn't coming along as nicely as usual for Izzo, but he will find some way to get a few big fish. Do you know, does the 2015 class have any big targets out of the Detroit area?

Latest posts