Tyler Ulis Trims List to 4

I didn't even know Cliff Alexander was looking at MSU that seriously. I just kept hearing his name with the Jones/Okafor tandem, but heard he probably wouldn't go to the same school as them but it would be nice. But I caught my mistake and edited my previous post before you replied. I agree there is no way Harris comes back and if Valentine has a good year he may jump ship as well. This year's recruiting class isn't coming along as nicely as usual for Izzo, but he will find some way to get a few big fish. Do you know, does the 2015 class have any big targets out of the Detroit area?

I don't know about Detroit area, I will look into it. Eric Davis a combo guard out of Saginaw is No. 35 on Rivals right now and he and Marble have a relationship, hoping that works in Iowa's favor. There was a premium article on rivals a few days ago how Davis admires Marble and his style of play.

Also Clemmons HS teammate Trevor Manuel from Lansing Sexton is going to be a flat out stud, can't believe I forgot about him. When I went to see Clemmons in HS I came away so impressed with Manuel when he was just a freshman, yeah he is very good, probably will go to MSU.

On Alexander, until recently, he had MSU as his only high interest school, but now he lists them Medium with a whole slew of schools. For a year MSU was easily his choice, but that has changed significantly.

Last edited:
I don't really care if Iowa doesn't get him. To be honest, I don't think he fits the profile very well for next year. If he comes in and takes over in his first two years, he displaces Clemmons and or Gesell. While Gesell can play the 2, Jok will be a way better option by the beginning of next year, unless he gets hurt.

My preference would be for a wing and a really strong 4/5 with some explosiveness as the primary targets as the Hawks will need to replace Basabe, McCabe, Marble, White and Gabe more immediately than a 1. Meyer is also really far away from being a significant contributor and looks more and more likely he won't develop past bench support.

Basically, there are just way more pressing needs than PG and I would wager to say that this is more about people getting excited about his profile as a recruit other than his actual fit with this team.

That being said, NO WAY do I want the Hawks to have to play against him, so my preference would be for Kentucky. Hopefully, Cal comes calling with promises of NBA riches after one NC year.

I don't really care if Iowa doesn't get him. To be honest, I don't think he fits the profile very well for next year. If he comes in and takes over in his first two years, he displaces Clemmons and or Gesell. While Gesell can play the 2, Jok will be a way better option by the beginning of next year, unless he gets hurt.

My preference would be for a wing and a really strong 4/5 with some explosiveness as the primary targets as the Hawks will need to replace Basabe, McCabe, Marble, White and Gabe more immediately than a 1. Meyer is also really far away from being a significant contributor and looks more and more likely he won't develop past bench support.

Basically, there are just way more pressing needs than PG and I would wager to say that this is more about people getting excited about his profile as a recruit other than his actual fit with this team.

That being said, NO WAY do I want the Hawks to have to play against him, so my preference would be for Kentucky. Hopefully, Cal comes calling with promises of NBA riches after one NC year.

I get that pg is not our biggest need right now, but there is only a few chances for a program like Iowa to really get a ''game-changer/program-changer'' type of recruit,and I have started to see that in Mr. Ulis. It is like he would be the type of floor general that could be the final piece to the Fran puzzle on a 100mph transition based offense. He appears to have freakish vision in the clips I have seen lately.... if you are a wing or big,and you run the floor hard, the ball will magically end up in your hands right at the basket,with tyler in charge. Call me crazy but I think his presence elevates the whole team to a possible FF type of team.

Point guards, IMO, are like quarterbacks. It's not a bad idea to bring one in either every year or 3 of every 4 years, especially if you can land a potential game-changing player like Ulis.

Maybe it's not a "need", but if you are at a program like Iowa right now and can get a player like Ulis, you take him without thinking twice. If he's better than Gesell, all the better.

Point guards, IMO, are like quarterbacks. It's not a bad idea to bring one in either every year or 3 of every 4 years, especially if you can land a potential game-changing player like Ulis.

Maybe it's not a "need", but if you are at a program like Iowa right now and can get a player like Ulis, you take him without thinking twice. If he's better than Gesell, all the better.

Gesell is good. He's got a lot of skills. But it's pretty obvious that Ulis is a better game-changer.
That's what Fran sees as valuable once Marble leaves.

Just because you don't "need" a top flight talent at the position, doesn't mean you don't recruit him if you think he is that good. There is a team called the Baltimore Ravens that have the methodology during the draft to take the "best available" about 99% of the time and it has gotten them 2 Super Bowls.

Stockpiling talented players, regardless of position is what wins. Fran is not a dumb guy and I am sure he can figure out a way to get Gesell and Ulis on the floor at the same time. Remember Gesell can play comfortably off the ball and looked good doing so and quite frankly it would be a nice problem for Iowa to have.

Also .. Ulis isn't going to be on campus until after Marble, McCabe and Basabe are gone. If Gesell moves to the 2 and Clemmons is at the point, it would give Ulis a chance to get acclimated to the B1G.

As others have said .. you take talent when you can get talent, regardless of what you have around you. Game changers don't come along all that often.

GO HAWKS!!!

Also .. Ulis isn't going to be on campus until after Marble, McCabe and Basabe are gone. If Gesell moves to the 2 and Clemmons is at the point, it would give Ulis a chance to get acclimated to the B1G.

As others have said .. you take talent when you can get talent, regardless of what you have around you. Game changers don't come along all that often.

GO HAWKS!!!

I was thinking this as well, but Gessell could move to the 2 if Ulis is good enough to start right away at the point? Ulis would be in a great situation either way if he chooses Iowa IMO.

I dont think Ulis is going anywhere to come off the bench, freshman or not.

Ulis
Gesell
Uthoff
White
Woodbury

Looks good to me. SIGN HIM UP!!

You think if there were strong interest from Kentucky's side.... Coach Cal would have at least had a conversation with Tyler.

I agree that getting a PG this year isn't an absolute must for us, but if Gesell's foot injury develops into something more serious, it would be great to have a blue chipper to fall back on.

I dont think Ulis is going anywhere to come off the bench, freshman or not.

Ulis
Gesell
Uthoff
White
Woodbury

Looks good to me. SIGN HIM UP!!

I'm starting to get the same feeling I did when we were recruiting Cezar what's his name who went to Okl. State. Yeah, that didn't end so well for us.

Too bad MSU is putting the full court press on him now that Jones is basically a Duke lock...

I'm starting to get the same feeling I did when we were recruiting Cezar what's his name who went to Okl. State. Yeah, that didn't end so well for us.

It didnt? Guerrero goes to Okie State and contributes a whopping 5.6 pts per game as a freshmen and then transfers to Fresno State.

Iowa was able to land both Gesell and Clemmons in the following class because Guerrero didnt end up here.

I think it ended very well for Iowa.

Too bad MSU is putting the full court press on him now that Jones is basically a Duke lock...

MSU has been putting on the full court press ever since they offered, IMO. You dont recruit a Top 50 kid half azzed just because you are in with another highly rated kid at the same position.

It didnt? Guerrero goes to Okie State and contributes a whopping 5.6 pts per game as a freshmen and then transfers to Fresno State.

Iowa was able to land both Gesell and Clemmons in the following class because Guerrero didnt end up here.

I think it ended very well for Iowa.

So I guess we should hope for Ulis to go elsewhere so it would open up some other blue chippers to come in? Gotcha

So I guess we should hope for Ulis to go elsewhere so it would open up some other blue chippers to come in? Gotcha

Is that what I said? No.

I simply pointed out how idiotic your assertion was that when Guerrero didnt become a Hawkeye it was a terrible thing for the program.

Latest posts