Tyler Cook

How can people possibly think that losing your best player as a So ISN'T a big deal? It isn't like Cook is some sort of trouble maker or malcontent. That said it isn't a forgone conclusion that he is leaving, but if he does leave that is a huge blow, and will put the nail in the coffin and we will be missing the both NCAA and NIT AGAIN NEXT YEAR.

How can people possibly think that losing your best player as a So ISN'T a big deal? It isn't like Cook is some sort of trouble maker or malcontent. That said it isn't a forgone conclusion that he is leaving, but if he does leave that is a huge blow, and will put the nail in the coffin and we will be missing the both NCAA and NIT AGAIN NEXT YEAR.

true

Amen Bro. Losing Tyler would be huge for Iowa. The guy has a lot of upside. Also he wears down others and also when with Garza takes a lot of pressure from him.
tumblr_inline_o0yq4e6BJr1t5wejs_500.gif

Juniors become seniors
Sophomores become juniors
Freshmen become sophomore slumps
Incoming freshmen become freshmen.

I say before it’s declared that the 18-19 season is over and the end of the world we wait to see if it is.

You know things are bad when you and I are agreeing on things.

I wouldn't blame Cook if he left. I think this all the time when Fran takes him out for the half with 2 fouls or virtually sits him the rest of the game if he picks up his 3rd (I know there are other coaches who do this, but those coaches don't play 12 guys in their rotation as well). Cook has more pro potential than anyone on the roster, and if he continues to play under Fran he'll never learn how to play defense.

Having said that, I cannot imagine Cook sitting out a year to transfer...

So we're back to the Lick years? Talk of losing our most highly rated / best player every summer? Awesome.

I'm sorry but it's time for Fran to go. The Lick years were brutal, but this team's complete lack of defense was about as embarrassing as losing 32-30.

It's been eight years since Lick. In BB that's more than enough time to turn around a program, and Fran hasn't really done it. Even in our best years, we all felt things could have been better.

And Fran's record in the Big10 Tourney is a joke.

I don't think he's going anywhere. He seems pretty close with JBo. Everytime I've heard him talk about or asked about him he's had his back and then some. He's not ready for the NBA so he's not doing that. Pencil me in as surprised if he were to transfer out.

I honestly hope he does, cuz the worse we are next year, the sooner the big shots will be ok spending the $10mill to get rid of Fran. Garza should transfer too so he can get the coaching he deserves. I feel bad for him.

And when we tank, we'd get a better draft pick....

Cook is obviously talented, but Iowa has guys that can score just as many points, and get just as many rebounds.

Cook is obviously talented, but Iowa has guys that can score just as many points, and get just as many rebounds.
Garza and Baer will consistently get you as many rebounds. But JBo is the only other player on the team who can consistently score in Cook's range. I mean Moss and Garza on a given night... And no one on the team is as explosive around the rim as Tyler. We may not have had anyone that explosive around the rim since Gerry Wright.

I wouldn't blame Cook if he left. I think this all the time when Fran takes him out for the half with 2 fouls or virtually sits him the rest of the game if he picks up his 3rd (I know there are other coaches who do this, but those coaches don't play 12 guys in their rotation as well). Cook has more pro potential than anyone on the roster, and if he continues to play under Fran he'll never learn how to play defense.

Having said that, I cannot imagine Cook sitting out a year to transfer...
I totally agree that the unwritten two foul rule sucks. Dean Smith was one of the first to implement it and it took him a long time to get that first NC. Lute definitely did not adhere to and in 1980 it helped us get to the Final Four. Ronnie Lester and Kenny Arnold played many first half minutes with two fouls. Why can't coaches trust their best players to play smart? Do they have to prove their the smartest in the room?

John Thompson once proposed a solution to this madness. Add a sixth foul, like the NBA. Then again his Georgetown teams were some of the most physical in the country back in the day.

I've been following this story the last few days. I came across a similar thread on rivals, which has been referenced before. Two posts caught my eye:

"There's a guy on PowerMizzou's subscription message board who claims that Tyler Cook transferring to Mizzou is close to a sure thing. His source is someone who works in Hawkeye tv/radio broadcasting. (take all that with a grain of salt, but it's out there.)"

"Don't shoot the messenger, but my best friend knows someone in the athletic department. He confirmed the Cook rumor has legs."

I think Tyler is an amazing talent. Coach everyone up this summer and he has a monster, 1st team all BIG next year!

I totally agree that the unwritten two foul rule sucks. Dean Smith was one of the first to implement it and it took him a long time to get that first NC. Lute definitely did not adhere to and in 1980 it helped us get to the Final Four. Ronnie Lester and Kenny Arnold played many first half minutes with two fouls. Why can't coaches trust their best players to play smart? Do they have to prove their the smartest in the room?

John Thompson once proposed a solution to this madness. Add a sixth foul, like the NBA. Then again his Georgetown teams were some of the most physical in the country back in the day.

You see coaches bench players for 10 minutes in the first half to keep from picking up a 3rd foul. Why? What the hell is the difference of sitting out 10 minutes in the first half or similar minutes at the end of the game if they foul out. Why not just play them their normal minutes and see what happens?

I'd argue that having all our key guys at the end of the game yesterday was pretty important. Illinois on the other hand didn't. Yesterday was one game I was ok with the 2 foul and sit idea. EVEN tho - Fran played guys with 2 fouls anyways.

Latest posts