Tyler Cook

I think timing is important here. You’re asking a kid about next year immediately coming off an OT to end a miserable season. I want to see what Cook says in like 3 months.

I’ll also say this now. If he transfers out instead of going to play pro ball. That’s a lot more indicative of internal problems in the Iowa program and Fran is in trouble.
Yep. His answer or lack of an answer does show that he's probably been contemplating leaving one way or another. If he transfers, Fran isn't going to be a very popular dude in IC.

sounds like if he leaves its pro ball not a transfer. but that's speculation. i'll say it again, a transfer doesn't make sense. you can tell he's really tight with these guys, so if it ain't pro ball, i don't see him leaving.

Edit: And thanks for posting that interview.
would be funny if he tried to go the NBA route, doesn't make it, ends up on some European team and we never hear about him again. I can't see him making the NBA next year.

The kid has been tugged this way and that. If you think this season was rough as a fan put yourself in his shoes. I wish the media wouldn't have tried ramming those type of questions down his throat right after a game like that no less... Hopefully after a few weeks/summer away from it all he'll be good to go for coming back.
If he is to transfer that would really really suck. There's no two ways about it.

would be funny if he tried to go the NBA route, doesn't make it, ends up on some European team and we never hear about him again. I can't see him making the NBA next year.
Yeah, my speculation is that Tyler doesn't want to be at Iowa for another year. Ideally and obviously, he would like to go pro, but if he ends up transferring, we'll know how much he really didn't want to be at Iowa....

a consistent jump shot away and improved ball handling. he'd still become a millionaire in europe. he'll become a millionaire playing hoops somewhere.

a consistent jump shot away and improved ball handling. he'd still become a millionaire in europe. he'll become a millionaire playing hoops somewhere.
If someone were going to actually make the NBA after playing Euro, Cook can do it. That would kinda defeat the rumor about his family not being able to watch him play though.

Yeah, my speculation is that Tyler doesn't want to be at Iowa for another year. Ideally and obviously, he would like to go pro, but if he ends up transferring, we'll know how much he really didn't want to be at Iowa....

Maybe "D" league. Maybe Europe. NBA? You must be kidding. Not big enough to score inside. No outside shot whatsoever. Mediocre at best rebounder and an absolute bust defensively. I hope is stays put and improves his game.

Maybe "D" league. Maybe Europe. NBA? You must be kidding. Not big enough to score inside. No outside shot whatsoever. Mediocre at best rebounder and an absolute bust defensively. I hope is stays put and improves his game.
You're taking an awful lot of liberty with my post.

If someone were going to actually make the NBA after playing Euro, Cook can do it. That would kinda defeat the rumor about his family not being able to watch him play though.

i hadn't heard that. but there are also no NBA teams in MO and i really don't think he's ready for the NBA. STL isn't any farther to IC than the closest NBA city.

in his post game interview, today, he talked about how this season forced all on the team to grow and mature. i really hope tyler uses that wisdom to come back one more season to develop. hell, i haven't liked my job for years, but i know i need it. same with tyler, he needs another season to develop. make the tough decision. i'm rooting for this kid because he really does sound like a good kid and a grounded kid. just don't want to see him make a wrong decision.

Yes, and those progressions yield more development in some players (and programs) than others. ... Player development hasn’t proven to be one of Fran’s strengths. We’ll see...
yes. That’s college basketball.

1) Fran is a mixed bag.
Good Fran = He has had guys on 1st or 2nd team since Gatens. So apparently he can coach them up. These have all been seniors.

Bad Fran 1 = Half of those seasons there has been no player on 3rd team or honorable mention to go with the first/second teamer. This is how you become upper tier programs.

2) player devolopment offensively is on the player during the off season. There’s not enough practice time for coaches to develop individual offensive skills during the season. Most of the time is spent running offenses and press breakers. This is a hit-and-miss with Fran — even in the same season.

3) Player development defensively is on the coaches during in-season practices. Blocking out can be taught and practiced. And should be every practice. Lateral foot speed can be improved and techniques taught. And should be every practice. Team defense can only be improved/taught during the season.

This is more miss-than-hit with Fran. And I don’t know why they waste time on a press. It is ineffective (yes,!i know presses are used to slow the opponent down rather than create turns) but isn’t the point of having a long team to wreak havoc?

This year's team took a European trip, the kind that's supposed to improve team chemistry. We got 4-14 in the Big Ten...
youre right. Supposed to. said back in December that trip was a waste.

Thanks for posting.

This was a good interview except for one stupid question.

Q: Now that the season is over can you tell us your emotions?

What? Is he auditioning for a gig on The View?

I’ll also say this now. If he transfers out instead of going to play pro ball. That’s a lot more indicative of internal problems in the Iowa program and Fran is in trouble.
No it’s not. It could be but not necessarily.

40% of D1 players transfer from their original school before their junior season.

If anything, Fran’s been bucking the trend the other way.

The kid has been tugged this way and that. If you think this season was rough as a fan put yourself in his shoes. I wish the media wouldn't have tried ramming those type of questions down his throat right after a game like that no less... Hopefully after a few weeks/summer away from it all he'll be good to go for coming back.
If he is to transfer that would really really suck. There's no two ways about it.

Disagree on whether the questions should have been asked after yesterday’s game. The rumors have been sitting out there since November, apparently. It would have been wrong to ask during the season. The season’s now over. Very good possibility Tyler won’t even be around or available in coming months to answer.

It’s fair game to ask, and an opportune time to be asked.

Disagree on whether the questions should have been asked after yesterday’s game. The rumors have been sitting out there since November, apparently. It would have been wrong to ask during the season. The season’s now over. Very good possibility Tyler won’t even be around or available in coming months to answer.

It’s fair game to ask, and an opportune time to be asked.
I say that in the sense that we know what his answer is going to be. It's going to be a non answer. What do you expect him to say? Nope I'm out turning in my playbook before we get on the plane to head back. He could have jumped up and down and said yes as well but since he's obviously thinking about it then that's the answer and why corner him like a raccoon in the corner and try baiting him? He's not a pro (although some pros are his age) Just felt wrong to me. Agree to disagree with ya.

Latest posts