Tom Bradley possible DC

What's the first question KF will be asked at the presser if its Bradley? How many times over the course of the next few years will it come back up again? Will he have to travel back to Happy Valley for any civil suits? If he does and every paper has "Now DC at the U of I" don't you think that alone is horrible PR for the school and program?

Look until the dust settles its too much risk.

You are looking at the worst case scenario.

From what I observed, the NEW administration at Penn State thought enough of him to make him their interim coach, and gave him consideration for the permanent job. Those people are a lot closer to the situation than we are, and that was the decision they made.

It seems that some of you want everyone who might be involved, implicated or have heard "rumors" to be branded with a scarlet letter for the rest of their lives, or to rot in prison right beside Sandusky.

Thank goodness that our legal system doesn't actually work that way. People shouldn't be punished based on rumors and from what I can tell, NO ONE who is floating these theories of what might, or might not have happened or will happen are basing their theories on any facts. It's just ridiculous, and discouraging. Mod mentality almost.

What's the first question KF will be asked at the presser if its Bradley? How many times over the course of the next few years will it come back up again? Will he have to travel back to Happy Valley for any civil suits? If he does and every paper has "Now DC at the U of I" don't you think that alone is horrible PR for the school and program?

Look until the dust settles its too much risk.

Agreed. Iowa has had enough PR problems lately including a couple of high profile sexual assault cases. To go out and hire the DC from the program that just had/ is having the biggest sexual assault case in the history of sports would be a bit of a boner move.

Let me throw some more speculations out to the crowd who, based on no facts whatsoever, believe that Bradley knew a lot, and did very little.

I wonder if a conversation like this ever took place:

Bradley: Hey Joe, I'm hearing some bad things about Jerry. Pretty disgusting. You hearing them to?

JoePa: Yeah I did. One of the grad assistants told me a few things a while back. I went ahead and reported it to the AD and head of the campus police.

Bradley: So they are looking into it?

JoePa: Yeah, they told me they would get to the bottom of it and take the appropriate steps.

Bradley: Ok, sounds good. I'm glad it's been reported. Thanks Joe.

From what I observed, the NEW administration at Penn State thought enough of him to make him their interim coach, and gave him consideration for the permanent job. Those people are a lot closer to the situation than we are, and that was the decision they made.

It seems that some of you want everyone who might be involved, implicated or have heard "rumors" to be branded with a scarlet letter for the rest of their lives, or to rot in prison right beside Sandusky.

Thank goodness that our legal system doesn't actually work that way. People shouldn't be punished based on rumors and from what I can tell, NO ONE who is floating these theories of what might, or might not have happened or will happen are basing their theories on any facts. It's just ridiculous, and discouraging. Mod mentality almost.

I agree with this 100%

The guilty by association is a bit much. I will be happy if KF chooses TB.

#1. From what I observed, the NEW administration at Penn State thought enough of him to make him their interim coach, and gave him consideration for the permanent job. Those people are a lot closer to the situation than we are, and that was the decision they made.

#2. It seems that some of you want everyone who might be involved, implicated or have heard "rumors" to be branded with a scarlet letter for the rest of their lives, or to rot in prison right beside Sandusky.

#3. Thank goodness that our legal system doesn't actually work that way. People shouldn't be punished based on rumors and from what I can tell, NO ONE who is floating these theories of what might, or might not have happened or will happen are basing their theories on any facts. It's just ridiculous, and discouraging. Mod mentality almost.

A couple of things here:

#1. Sorry but Bradley didn't get the job for one reason and one reason only, the Sandusky mess. Take away that and JoePa dies, Bradley is the HC right now at PSU.

#2. Who said that Bradley had to be in jail? When did I say he was guilty of anything? I have said post after post that he would be an amazing hire but not at this moment in time there is still too much unknown out there with this whole mess and would be a big PR risk for the U of I. If it was 2 or 3 years from now and all the civil suits and the Sandusky trial was over than I would be all for the hire. He can still live his life he can still get hired somewhere else, do clinics, etc. Nice try with the jail comment.

#3. Do you live in the real world? You do realize there are people every day that get turned down for jobs for one reason or another based on where they previously worked, what they posted on their Facebook page, etc. That doesn't mean they are crappy people or belong in jail but aren't given a job because XYZ company views them to big of a risk for any number of reasons (including it would be a bad PR move). Again nice try.

A couple of things here:

#1. Sorry but Bradley didn't get the job for one reason and one reason only, the Sandusky mess. Take away that and JoePa dies, Bradley is the HC right now at PSU.

#2. Who said that Bradley had to be in jail? When did I say he was guilty of anything? I have said post after post that he would be an amazing hire but not at this moment in time there is still too much unknown out there with this whole mess and would be a big PR risk for the U of I. If it was 2 or 3 years from now and all the civil suits and the Sandusky trial was over than I would be all for the hire. He can still live his life he can still get hired somewhere else, do clinics, etc. Nice try with the jail comment.

#3. Do you live in the real world? You do realize there are people every day that get turned down for jobs for one reason or another based on where they previously worked, what they posted on their Facebook page, etc. That doesn't mean they are crappy people or belong in jail but aren't given a job because XYZ company views them to big of a risk for any number of reasons (including it would be a bad PR move). Again nice try.

Sorry but nobody knows if that is true or not and to act like it is a fact is a joke, nothing more nothing less.

A couple of things here:

#3. Do you live in the real world?

Nope, I live in fantasy land. It's a place of Hobbits, care-bears, transformers and dark wizards.

I'm clueless and uneducated (even though I have a degree). My opinion is meaningless because you disagree with it. My methods of evaluating a situation based on facts are obsolete and ineffective. I'm a horrible person because I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. It's how I was raised, what can I say? Oh wait, I guess my mother is a total low-life as well since she taught me those things.

How ridiculous do you need me to be, because that is how those of you who have already convicted Bradley of guilt by association come across to me. Ridiculous hypocrites. If you were in his shoes, how would you feel?

If you are worried about the U of I giving themselves another PR black eye, just wait 5 minutes and they will create another circus all on their own. How many questions do you honestly expect KF to answer about Bradley and his association with Penn State if he were to be hired? Have you heard any of his press conferences lately? KF will talk about only the things he wants to talk about.

What side of the fence did you come down on when McCaffery recruited Hubbard, and the Iowa administration supported the decision and admitted him? In that situation, he WAS guilty. Factually proven.

Last edited:
A couple of things here:

It that is the case then why keep him on as interim coach for the remainder of the season? That makes no sense at all. Anyone tied to Sandusky was either shown the door (JoePa) or subtley told to stay away from the program (McQueary).

And if PSU was going to put a mandate that anyone on staff during the Sandusky years had to go, then it makes no sense they allowed O'Brien to retain Vanderlinden (sp?) and Johnson Sr.

Nope, I live in fantasy land. It's a place of Hobbits, care-bears, transformers and dark wizards.

I'm clueless and uneducated (even though I have a degree). My opinion is meaningless because you disagree with it. My methods of evaluating a situation based on facts are obsolete and ineffective. I'm a horrible person because I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. It's how I was raised, what can I say? Oh wait, I guess my mother is a total low-life as well since she taught me those things.

How ridiculous do you need me to be, because that is how those of you who have already convicted Bradley of guilt by association come across to me. Ridiculous hypocrites. If you were in his shoes, how would you feel?

If you are worried about the U of I giving themselves another PR black eye, just wait 5 minutes and they will create another circus all on their own. How many questions do you honestly expect KF to answer about Bradley and his association with Penn State if he were to be hired? Have you heard any of his press conferences lately? KF will talk about only the things he wants to talk about.

What side of the fence did you come down on when McCaffery recruited Hubbard, and the Iowa administration supported the decision and admitted him? In that situation, he WAS guilty. Factually proven.

First bolded point - none of us has all of the facts. My opinion is that there is a 99.9999% chance that when the thousands of hours of stone turning and discovery related to the civil suits is complete, Bradley's reputation will be fully intact and he will walk away clean. However, I view this under a probability-magnitude matrix similar to what companies use for deciding what to disclose as material information to their investors. That matrix requires them to weigh the probability of an event occurring against the magnitude if the event is realized. So as I noted, my gut is that there is a 99.9999% chance Bradley walks away clean. However, none of us have all of the facts, and if that .0001% chance of him not being clean is realized, it would be a huge black eye on Iowa's football program, Athletic Department and Administration. Naturally, there is a risk with every hire, but those risks are unknown and I give the person doing the hiring the benefit of the doubt in those situations, but this is a known risk and if it comes to fruition, it will be a nuclear freaking meltdown level of crapstorm that will ensue. Imagine some plaintiff's lawyer or law enforcement officer getting the full email archive of the PSU staff and finding a smoking gun buried in an 8 year old email. Imagine Tom Bradley, Iowa's defensive coordinator, getting perp walked out of the football facility on a conspiracy charge 72 hours before the Iowa State game. To me, that would show an inexcusable mistake on behalf of the University of Iowa, and until that risk goes to zero and the smoke clears, the guy cannot be hired. It is not about punishing him, it is about covering our own butt. Scores of employers did this when Enron and Arthur Anderson imploded, there were thousands of innocent employees who were great workers, but their resumes were smeared with feces until the smoke cleared.

Second bolded point - facts about Hubbard were known. His debt to society was known and paid. There was no question about guilt and he was remorseful. It is completely different because no matter what you think, sitting here on January 26, 2012, we do not have all of the facts about Bradley.

If Kurt hires him, I will support the guy, but if he gets implicated in covering up for a pedophile down the road, which is within the realm of possibility, Iowa football can forget about me going to a game for a VERY long time and I suspect thousands of other fans would feel the same way irregardless of what they say today.

First bolded point - none of us has all of the facts. My opinion is that there is a 99.9999% chance that when the thousands of hours of stone turning and discovery related to the civil suits is complete, Bradley's reputation will be fully intact and he will walk away clean. However, I view this under a probability-magnitude matrix similar to what companies use for deciding what to disclose as material information to their investors. That matrix requires them to weigh the probability of an event occurring against the magnitude if the event is realized. So as I noted, my gut is that there is a 99.9999% chance Bradley walks away clean. However, none of us have all of the facts, and if that .0001% chance of him not being clean is realized, it would be a huge black eye on Iowa's football program, Athletic Department and Administration. Naturally, there is a risk with every hire, but those risks are unknown and I give the person doing the hiring the benefit of the doubt in those situations, but this is a known risk and if it comes to fruition, it will be a nuclear freaking meltdown level of crapstorm that will ensue. Imagine some plaintiff's lawyer or law enforcement officer getting the full email archive of the PSU staff and finding a smoking gun buried in an 8 year old email. Imagine Tom Bradley, Iowa's defensive coordinator, getting perp walked out of the football facility on a conspiracy charge 72 hours before the Iowa State game. To me, that would show an inexcusable mistake on behalf of the University of Iowa, and until that risk goes to zero and the smoke clears, the guy cannot be hired. It is not about punishing him, it is about covering our own butt. Scores of employers did this when Enron and Arthur Anderson imploded, there were thousands of innocent employees who were great workers, but their resumes were smeared with feces until the smoke cleared.

Second bolded point - facts about Hubbard were known. His debt to society was known and paid. There was no question about guilt and he was remorseful. It is completely different because no matter what you think, sitting here on January 26, 2012, we do not have all of the facts about Bradley.

If Kurt hires him, I will support the guy, but if he gets implicated in covering up for a pedophile down the road, which is within the realm of possibility, Iowa football can forget about me going to a game for a VERY long time and I suspect thousands of other fans would feel the same way irregardless of what they say today.

herdthosecats.png

It that is the case then why keep him on as interim coach for the remainder of the season?

Because somebody had to coach the team for the remainder of the season, since they weren't going to cancel the games, and they weren't going to bring anybody from outside for such a short span of time.

Like I said - hiring him would be a bit of a boner move.

Castillo's dad is the DC for the Eagles, right? I know college would be a step down. Jsut a thought.

Again with the common sense.

Why can't you just throw around immature ill-informed random talk like everyone else.

The eagles got a lot better at the end.

It's hard to play in the NFL with a bad DL and a terrible group of LB's

I am scared that might be us next fall

This.

As I have said multiple times I am not saying Bradley is guilty of anything and think he is a hell of a coach and would be ea great hire. But like BTR points out above there are still too many unanswered questions out there and until all the trials and civil suits are finished there will always be that chance no matter how small of getting blown back on the school that hires him.

Again 2 or 3 years from now when all is said and done this wouldn't even be up for debate.

Latest posts