Today is a miraculously wonderful day...The Big 12 Lives On!!!

Fixed it for ya:
"Another thing, football wise, Iowa would be much better off in the Big East, from a W/L standpoint."

Any team from the Big 10 or 12 would be better off in that regard with the Big East.

A question seemingly lost in the shuffle: Now that two 'Non-Texas' schools have departed and all of the Texas schools have stayed (For now, A&M), have the Texas schools gained a significantly larger advantage in voting for procedural matters? Obviously they gain some advantage from the sheer fact that they have a higher ratio, but is it now high enough that they can change any rule to their liking (not sure what they'd want to change, but if it arises in the future)?

This anticipated contract seems a little fishy. The "14-17million" is a projection only. Nothing is guarenteed until the contract is signed. This wouldn't take effect until 2010.

I haven't said, nor do I think that ISU and Iowa are currently playing at the same level in football. That said, this agreement solidifies ISU in a BCS conference, creates a huge jump up in revenue, and ISU's chances of winning the conference just went from 1 in 12 to 1 in 10..... =)

Texas is Texas and yes, the rich got richer. But ISU also got a lot richer and considering we were on the brink of having to jump to the Big East...or even the MWC, we've come out of this smelling like roses. The ISU program is in a much stronger position today than it was a month ago...MUCH stronger.

I agree with a lot of what you say. I'm happy for ISU, although it isn't something I spend much time on.

I was referring to Iowa, and the B10, when I said the rich got richer. But hey, your thought was good, too!

Iowa is certainly in a very strong position in a premier conference. I would certainly acknowledge that fact and am very happy for the Hawkeyes.

Heck, we used to play Okie and NU every year when they were both virtually unbeatable...in the late 70's for example, when ISU football was thriving.

Crickets....8-3, 8-3, 8-4, Crickets.....

Okay, a short-lived thriving, but "thriving" nonetheless.

Not really crickets...Johnny Majors had some very solid teams in the early 70's as well. By 1979, Iowa State was a far superior football program to that of Iowa. The Hawks were in the midst of 20 straight losing seasons and the bottom had literally fallen out of the program. That's why Hayden Fry is such a legendary figure...he managed, albeit with the support of a solid infrastructure and fan support...to take one of the worst programs in America and make into a top 30 or so program on a consistent basis.

This anticipated contract seems a little fishy. The "14-17million" is a projection only. Nothing is guarenteed until the contract is signed. This wouldn't take effect until 2010.

Exactly. Let's see what REALLY happens....especially when Texas forms their own network.

I guess if Cyclone fans are happy to be permanently relegated to "also-ran" status in football, and selling their dignity and pride for 30 pieces of silver....good for them.

Not really crickets...Johnny Majors had some very solid teams in the early 70's as well. By 1979, Iowa State was a far superior football program to that of Iowa. The Hawks were in the midst of 20 straight losing seasons and the bottom had literally fallen out of the program. That's why Hayden Fry is such a legendary figure...he managed, albeit with the support of a solid infrastructure and fan support...to take one of the worst programs in America and make into a top 30 or so program on a consistent basis.

Oh my goodness 30 years ago they were good.

Sounds like my Grandpa talking about the Ironmen team.

Almost qualifies as a relevant observation -- if you like ancient history. .

And BTW -- that is what ISU is not -- relevant -- they have proved that all over ... again.

Hey Pooker,
Do you remember who the moron was that was running around proclaiming ISU was going to the MAC?

Maybe you can refresh my memory as to who might be that idiotic...I'd much appreciate your help recalling that.

Thank goodness I am not a Cyclone fan or I would be celebrating Texas deciding to keep the B12 intact also. I cannot imagine rooting for a team where 1 school could put my team into a mid major status just by leaving the conference.

Make sure you clown fans send your letters of gratitude to Texas. Do make sure they get their "fair share" of the B12 revenue.

I'd be awful careful gloating about your current "supposed" security. Expansion essentially just started and the only reason the Big XII was raided recently was because the Big XII forced the issue. It's only just begun sister cyclones. All that it would take is one piece of the puzzle to fall off the table and the picture is destroyed and A$M sounds like they arent quite finished with the SEC despite whatever agreement happened today. As Delany has already stated...expansion could and probably will happen in stages. Enjoy the security for the time being, but you guys have a long trip through the woods yet.

Hey Pooker,
Do you remember who the moron was that was running around proclaiming ISU was going to the MAC?

Maybe you can refresh my memory as to who might be that idiotic...I'd much appreciate your help recalling that.
Where are the ****** that said ISU to MVC........

Mesa, maybe Paul Rhodes can be your Hayden Fry. I don't see it happening but you never know.

One thing I do know is that you do need your football team to start performing @ a very high level so that in 3-5 years if this stuff starts happening again you are in a stronger position.

I'm not entirely sure we've seen the end of expansion yet. I think there will be more movement, if not this year then probably in 3-5 years. Just put 3 or 4 outstanding seasons together and you will have a little better bargaining position. Consistent winning does wonders for perception.

Just don't do it @ the Hawkeyes expense. Recruiting or otherwise. Deal?

Last edited:
Hey Pooker,

I was very hopeful of the MAC for you guys -- I thought your team might be able to compete there in a major revenue Mens sport. Seems like all you guys can win at now is womens vb or bb.

Still you cannot stand that the facts. You provided the 30 years old ancient history as relevant and like everything else when you cannot support the position you make -- you change the topic. Consistent.

BTW good luck with your house of sand deal and how longs it stays in place. Who knows you still might get to the Mac and be able to compete there yet.

The funny and somewhat fuzzy math is this, those $14-$17 million ranges are estimates on what the original Big XII would be offored or could have gotten on next Spring's contract negotiations based on the huge bump the SEC had gotten with their new contract. I'm sure next Spring when the final contract is signed things will be different. If they are...will ISU, KSU, KU,TTU, BU, and Okie-state really care? no, cuz in their minds they are in a relavent conference and quite happy being the bottom feeders to UT, OU, and if they pull their heads out of their you know whats...aTm

Latest posts