This is gonna be a LOOONG season

You were the one defending Fran saying he got the point guard he needed and that we didn't need those athletic four star guards he went after first. You argued all off season that Jordan was a better point guard than Moore, Carr, Winston and all the other ones we targeted first.
All you harp on is the PG! This team has a lot more problems other than just the PG. This whole team is crap! Something is wrong and until it comes out this team isn't going to get any better!

All you harp on is the PG! This team has a lot more problems other than just the PG. This whole team is crap! Something is wrong and until it comes out this team isn't going to get any better!

I believe the point guard position is the biggest problem on this team and that is on Fran not specific player. I'm not alone in thinking that either.

I just watched my first game of the year. Wow... they are bad. The only big difference from last year is Peter Jok is gone. So I look at that as the glaring problem. They don't have a seasoned player to hold it together and keep it close when their inexperience starts to show. These guys are without a leader. They're all young except Baer who himself doesn't have starting experience. We all were hoping the talent they showed last year would carry over. But it appears the loss of Jok carried a heck of a lot more weight. You can blame Fran, but I'm sure he's scrambling to get these guys to play good. And I suspect they will play much better as the year goes on and they do gain experience. But yeah... it's gonna be a rebuilding year and they will surely miss the NCAAs.

I believe the point guard position is the biggest problem on this team and that is on Fran not specific player. I'm not alone in thinking that either.
The biggest problem with this team is too many posts and not enough guards. Iowa needs at least one other guard, whether it be a SG or PG it doesn’t matter. Iowa can be a good team with Jbo running the point, they were for the 2H of last year, and that was with an extremely young team who was awful at defense.

The biggest problem with this team is too many posts and not enough guards. Iowa needs at least one other guard, whether it be a SG or PG it doesn’t matter. Iowa can be a good team with Jbo running the point, they were for the 2H of last year, and that was with an extremely young team who was awful at defense.

oh and had another guard. Weird.

If we had Marble or Uthoff we would be fighting for a top 3 finish in the conference with Bohannon as point guard. If we had senior year Woody instead of freshmen year Garza, we would be a lock for the tourney. I think point guard is the 2nd best position on the team right now behind the 4 spot.

If we had Marble or Uthoff we would be fighting for a top 3 finish in the conference with Bohannon as point guard. If we had senior year Woody instead of freshmen year Garza, we would be a lock for the tourney. I think point guard is the 2nd best position on the team right now behind the 4 spot.
giphy.gif

No it doesn’t support it at all but as I’ve said in the past, whatever the narrative is around here, that tends to shape the discussion.

I actually thought JBo was pretty solid defensively last night outside of the one play where he lost his footing. The numbers of his opposing PG who he was guarding pretty much show that.

I think our biggest issue right now is no spacing on offense, and that comes from playing several bigs who cannot shoot and are being asked to play outside of their abilities. We need to start going smaller, with less minutes to Garza, Kriener, and likely Pemsl.

Jordan actually wasn't the problem last night defensively. As I keep harping, watch our bigs try to defend on ball screens. It is horrible, and not just when Jordan is guarding the guy receiving the pick.

We are bad defensively all over the floor. We don't have a single plus defender. Everyone is complaining about Jordan and he can't penetrate. Well neither could Mike G. I mean that guy couldn't get past anyone and the few times he did he got block, or turned it over. Fran hasn't had a penetrating PG since he has been here, that isn't the issue. We found ways to win with a non penetrator in Mike. So Mike couldn't penetrate and couldn't shoot, but he could defend. Jordan can't penetrate or play D, but he can shoot. It ain't like we are all used to some elite PG play under Fran.

These numbers prove precisely what people like me have been saying about him. Yeah, he had 12 points. Let's break that down.

4-8 from 3, and 0-4 from 2 with zero free throw attempts. The guy struggles mightily inside the three point line. He's absolutely dynamite when he can step into a three. It's not that I think he's bad - it's that I think he's playing a position not best suited to his strengths.

Again, I'm an ISU fan. Jake Sullivan was a great player for us. There was a year he was forced to play PG. It wasn't the best situation for him and I think we're looking at a simliar situation here.

We would absolutely be better with a top 100 PG here for Jordan to play off of. Jordan could play the SG, and give a the PG 10 min. of rest and man the point for that long each game.

The reality is we don't have that, it is what it is. We didn't have it last year either. We didn't have great PG play when Mike was here, he could play D, but he couldn't penetrate or shoot the dang ball at all. Most teams have weaknesses, it is the coaching staffs job to play around the weaknesses.

Bingo

I will probably never understand blaming to the PG play for all of this. But that's been the deal since he arrived. It probably will always be the deal until they can win with him but IMO Jordan's been a plus more then a negative and you can only say that about him and Cook really so far this year. Moss had been playing fairly well up until last night. Defense as a whole HAS been bad, but that's not an exclusive fact to only Jordan. I think he's actually gotten better. I've been much more let down by the surrounding cast. They played a pretty good first half and came out cold and it derailed. I'm super disappointed so far, but it doesn't make everyone on the team terrible. I feel bad for ya'll sons a bitches who have to live your life every day being like that. :p

I realize I am by myself on this, but I believe the 2 guard spot is the issue, on both ends. The way we think of the PG position growing up is not the way the position is played now.

JBo is not the problem. There are other ways to set up your teammates than dribble drive penetration.

We would absolutely be better with a top 100 PG here for Jordan to play off of. Jordan could play the SG, and give a the PG 10 min. of rest and man the point for that long each game.

The reality is we don't have that, it is what it is. We didn't have it last year either. We didn't have great PG play when Mike was here, he could play D, but he couldn't penetrate or shoot the dang ball at all. Most teams have weaknesses, it is the coaching staffs job to play around the weaknesses.

The problem is that Fran had players at the 3 and 4 that could flash the lane. He doesn't really have that now. I don't know how one could play around not having perimeter speed. Williams may have been the only one who had that potential. Apparently not going to be Uhl or Wagner.

Bingo

I will probably never understand blaming to the PG play for all of this. But that's been the deal since he arrived. It probably will always be the deal until they can win with him but IMO Jordan's been a plus more then a negative and you can only say that about him and Cook really so far this year. Moss had been playing fairly well up until last night. Defense as a whole HAS been bad, but that's not an exclusive fact to only Jordan. I think he's actually gotten better. I've been much more let down by the surrounding cast. They played a pretty good first half and came out cold and it derailed. I'm super disappointed so far, but it doesn't make everyone on the team terrible. I feel bad for ya'll sons a bitches who have to live your life every day being like that. :p
The other thing is it was even our defense that let us down last night it was our offense starting the half 1/16 shooting with several live ball turnovers. No defense will be able to keep up with that.

Did anyone else notice how in the keys to the game for Iowa it said eliminate live ball turnovers? That was a huge issue in the caymans trip as not only did we turn over the ball a lot, when we did it usually led to a dunk the other way. We limited them in the 1H but had several in the 2H. To me that is a product of playing too many bigs/ not having enough ball handlers on the floor.

I realize I am by myself on this, but I believe the 2 guard spot is the issue, on both ends. The way we think of the PG position growing up is not the way the position is played now.

JBo is not the problem. There are other ways to set up your teammates than dribble drive penetration.
You’re not alone. Several sane individuals on here understand this. As I said we can be a good team with JBo at the point, just as we were in the 2H of last season.

Ironically you hate both of them.

I don't hate either of them, if anything I feel bad for them. Jordan is being asked to play out of position and Isaiah isn't near as good as Pete was and Fran needs him to be for this to all work. Both seem to be good hard working kids on and off the court.

Latest posts