This is gonna be a LOOONG season

I saw that after my post. Bad timing. If you say you would have him on the floor at the expense of someone else, wouldn't that person deserve more blame than Bohannon?
I'm not sure I follow. Bohannon has a lot of positives to his game. Better suited to a secondary role on a good team, IMO.

Pete wasn't that good his sophomore season either. I still think Moss is ahead of Pete because of the RS as a sophomore. We should all face what we all over looked that's fairly important in college basketball unless your a blue blood, and that's Jr's and Sr's. Iowa doesn't have 1. No Marble, No White, No Uthoff, No Jok... just a bunch of potential. It should have been a bigger red flag to those of us with high expectations that our upper class leader was a former walk on who hustles. Not that I would trade Baer, he's a nice player and I am glad he's a Hawk - but he's not like the guys I listed.

or we can just blame Jordan over and over for no apparent reason.

That is why I think the 18-19 season will be special. They will be loaded with a lot of Sophomores and Juniors who have spent a ton of time playing together. You go deep into the tournament one of two ways: loaded with a bunch of pros or a team with a bunch of upperclassmen. Iowa will have the latter.

Not going to lie, I thought this was a tournament team, now I am not so sure. So there will be some disappointment if they don't make the tournament this year.. I thought they would be better on the defensive end than what they are. I do think this team will eventually be good; however, we might be looking at another NIT year because too much damage will be done early.

Yes. This will be a long season. Just like all the rest of them. We have one senior. He won't play. We have three juniors on the team. One of them starts, sometimes. We have JB, Moss, Cook, Pemsl, Kriener, Daily, all sophomores, who have been getting a lot of playing time. We have Nunge, Garza, McCaffrey, all freshmen, all of whom will get a lot of playing time. We no longer have our 20 point per game senior leader, all BT first team, on the roster. If you are surprised that this season will likely be a jekyll and hyde year, shame on you.

You can whine all you want about JB being the starting point guard for the next 3 years. You can talk about "no rim protectors" all you want, but we have Cook and two 6'11" athletes who will continue to develop. You can talk all you want about having no "slasher" who can go to the rim. Moss, Cook, Nunge, Pemsl, Kriener have varying ways to go to the rim and different skill sets. JB will continue to get better at it, because unlike some of the nay sayers, he will continue to improve his game. In the meantime, go ahead and ignore his scoring, his assists, his lack of turnovers, and his great attitude. Or, when you look down and your horse is dead, dismount.

Yup. Fran and his staff need to improve their coaching at the defensive end. Yup. The coaches have to manage a group of fragile, inexperienced players to eliminate the horrible second half play against the VT's of world. And, they need to recruit higher level players...just like everyone else in the nation.

And, all of you guys who live in a world where everything has to be right now and to your personal satisfaction, and those of you who are far superior in your knowledge of the game of basketball at the D1 level, good luck with that. Finally, to head off a predicted attack, no. I do not begin to know as much about basketball as many of you, but I am pretty good at observing the obvious and seeing both sides of the game.

If this season ends like it looks now, he damn well should be. But last year's team looked horrible early. Uthoff's senior year they looked horrible early. Whites senior year they looked horrible early. Marble's senior year they looked ok early. Every year before that they looked horrible early. So Fran is 1 out of 8 for not having horrible non conference showings. That is really bad, but the good news is he is 8 for 8 at getting better by conference play. So there is still hope for a decent season. But I wanted way more than decent this year.

Uthoff's senior season they started 9-3 and eventually jumped to #3 in the country, White's senior year they started 9-4 with a win at UNC, Marble's senior year they started 11-2 so I guess I am not sure where you think all those teams looked horrible early? This team looks so much worse right now than I can remember those teams ever looking. We need guards!

Name 3 teams that faded in February.

Lost 4 of last 5 in 2016 plus a 1st round exit in the B10 tourney. Lost 5 of last 6 in 2014 plus lost in the 1st round of the B10 tourney and lost the play in game in the NCAA tourney. I agree with you though that the end of season fade is overblown with Fran, I think people just remember a couple of epic ones, particularly what happened in 2014 which resulted in them falling to the play in game in the NCAA's. I think one thing that leaves a bad taste in the mouth at the end of every season is all of the 1st round losses in the Big Ten tourney. Fran is 2-7 in the conference tourney which is garbage.

I don't think he's on the hot seat at all. We've seen him long enough now to notice his weaknesses as a coach. His teams generally don't play good defense, he's a hothead who loses his s@#t too often and he doesn't seem to be a particularly strong recruiter. However I wouldn't advocate making a change after this year even if it continues to go badly for the remainder of the season (as I suspect it will).

I'm still eager to see what happens the next few years; Wieskamp might end up being the best player on the team his freshman year. They will still need an athlete to run the point though, that's a big hole on this team.

Last edited:
How does a Greg Marshall at Wichita State, Chris Mack at Xavier, Archie Miller when at Dayton and these examples go on and on, get athletes and we can't with all the new facilities playing in a historically great bball conference to compete (Greg McDermott at Creighton)...I could go on. Fran and team must just not be very good at recruiting.
I think the problem is we're Iowa. I don't think we'll ever win a BIG BB championship in my life time. I got another 30 years life expectancy.

Cook's lazy defense and lack of rebounding is going to cost him a shot at an NBA roster.
Pemsl would be best suited to guarding the post, man on man. Eliminate that high hedge from his responsibilities. He should not leave that circle under the basket.
Moss is better suited to play the 3. He's long enough and quick enough to guard the 3. And he would pose problems for opposing 3s, if he would get aggressive and attack the rim every now and then.
I'm not trying to blame anything on Bohannon. It's not his fault he's playing PG. He's doing a much better job at it than I had ever dreamed he would, when I first saw him play. And there are more problems with this roster than the PG position. It's a forward heavy roster, full of one way, slow footed players.

Totally agree with this post, and you and I agree alot about this team. That was all I was saying, this isn't just Bohannon's fault, we have many other problems with the roster and defense.

My issue with Cy5656, he blames it SOLEY on Jordan, continues to say he sucks and continues to troll him. He is a Clone fan trolling on here, so I troll him back.

Things don't really get any better after the Penn State game. Two days later we play at Indiana. They are tied with Duke right now late in the first half. Hoosiers look good with Archie MIller at the helm.....

Indiana behind 42-38 at the half. Interesting game to watch.....

Grayson Allen is such a prick....

No reason to dump the Hawks after an ugly loss. They will recover. Last season we were humiliated at NW, and recovered nicely. The Lads are young and resiliant and do have Hawkeye Pride. We shall see.....

With a different crew of zebras the outcome would have been quite a bit different. They were certainly, without a doubt, favoring VT. The final free throw stats bear this out. Not a win but also not a 24 point loss. They made 16 more free throws than we did.....

Hawks were 6 for 10 from the free throw line. VT was 22 for 28. That is a vast discrepancy. Referees did everything they could to determine the outcome of the game,starting with the two quick fouls on Garza in the first minute and a half of the game. Benching the tallest player on the court certainly assisted the Hokies. Hawks did well to overcome that problem he first half. I won't mention the second half which was abysmal for certain. However one cannot underestimate the effect the officials can have on the ultimate outcome of a game. The Hawks did not have a chance. They might have been more competitive.....Perhaps.....

Oh, by the way. Jordan doesn't deserve the criticism he is receiving. He is not a genuine point guard and does the best he can. His threes in the first half were instrumental in the tie game at the half. He would benefit playing second guard, as many have noticed, however the fault is not to be thrown his way. He did make the BigTen Freshman First Team.....

The Hawks need to have more ball movement, pass the MotherFucking ball around the perimeter, inside and out, set screens for the snipers on the team. Stretch the opponents D with ample spacing. They just might open the paint for Cook and Garza, Cordell and Ryan, Nunge and Wagner to operate inside. When the ball is passed inside the opponent just might collapse on D, opening the perimeter for the sharpshooters to display their accuracy.....

Simply the idle speculations of an unrepentant homer.....

:cool:

Uthoff's senior season they started 9-3 and eventually jumped to #3 in the country, White's senior year they started 9-4 with a win at UNC, Marble's senior year they started 11-2 so I guess I am not sure where you think all those teams looked horrible early? This team looks so much worse right now than I can remember those teams ever looking. We need guards!

Uthoff's senior year they lost the exhibition, then lost almost every non-gimmie non conference game they played. White's senior year needed that North Carolina win to not lose 5 non conference games. They got absolutely embarrassed by Drake that year. After that game, it looked like they would win 3 more games the entire year. Marble's senior year I said they were ok. But they still lost to 2 non conference teams with a pretty weak schedule. Not near as bad as the next 3 years were tho.

As several have pointed out, we don't have a PG that can dribble/drive or defend effectively against an average PG (South Dakota State, for example). Since the next two recruiting classes don't include a REAL PG, the coaches must not see this as an recruiting issue. It's simply an "execution" issue.

We would absolutely be better with a top 100 PG here for Jordan to play off of. Jordan could play the SG, and give a the PG 10 min. of rest and man the point for that long each game.

The reality is we don't have that, it is what it is. We didn't have it last year either. We didn't have great PG play when Mike was here, he could play D, but he couldn't penetrate or shoot the dang ball at all. Most teams have weaknesses, it is the coaching staffs job to play around the weaknesses.

In a perfect world I would hope Conner would be able to step in, play PG, and that would shift JBo to the SG spot and Moss to the wing. I think Wagner and Nunge are going to be better at the 4. IMO the Wagner/Nunge at the 3 experiment needs to end.

In a perfect world I would hope Conner would be able to step in, play PG, and that would shift JBo to the SG spot and Moss to the wing. I think Wagner and Nunge are going to be better at the 4. IMO the Wagner/Nunge at the 3 experiment needs to end.
Conner at point?

I pounded the table and lectured people that Nunge wasn't a 3 before the season. Turns out I was wrong, and Fran sees him as a 3. I still think Fran is wrong, but Fran doesn't see it that way, or he is force to play Wagner/Nunge at the 3 because we have NO ONE beside Baer to do so.

Connor at the PG isn't going to help this team defensively, and he can't get to the rim either, and he can't shoot anywhere near as well as Jordan. Plus his injury and illness has set him back so much, I just don't see him helping at all this year. We need a true PG, not yet another 6'5 PG who is slower than everyone else we are going to play.

Nunge is the perfect example of what is wrong with this team. Nunge is a good player, and is going to get better, but he just isn't a 3. At every position Fran puts a longer (but slower) player in spots defensively where they are matched up against quicker players. Sure he can play the 3 offensively, but he is going to have a harder time getting to the rim around a quicker 3/SF than he would around a 4/PF. Same defensively Nunge can't stay in front of 90% of the quicker 6'6, 6'7 SF/wings that he will have to guard.

It is the makeup of the team that is concerning. It isn't the individual pieces, but rather the whole. Jordan in and of himself is fine, he bring a lot to the table. Nunge same thing, Pemsl the same, etc. Yet when you put them all together, you have too many guys playing just slightly out of position and not enough quick athletes.

It is the makeup of the team that is concerning. It isn't the individual pieces, but rather the whole. Jordan in and of himself is fine, he bring a lot to the table. Nunge same thing, Pemsl the same, etc. Yet when you put them all together, you have too many guys playing just slightly out of position and not enough quick athletes.

This is where I am at as well. Jordan played very well last season with similar line ups yet he's now the reason we suck for a lot of posters who are here for their pound of flesh since Iowa has stumbled out of the gates. I haven't missed a single second of this team this season and while I will agree that Jordan's defense has not been great, he's also just a part of the problem not the main problem. No ones defense has been great, especially our bigs. Our post defense is #1 on my list along with Jordan having to play too many minutes now.

I pounded the table and lectured people that Nunge wasn't a 3 before the season. Turns out I was wrong, and Fran sees him as a 3. I still think Fran is wrong, but Fran doesn't see it that way, or he is force to play Wagner/Nunge at the 3 because we have NO ONE beside Baer to do so.

Connor at the PG isn't going to help this team defensively, and he can't get to the rim either, and he can't shoot anywhere near as well as Jordan. Plus his injury and illness has set him back so much, I just don't see him helping at all this year. We need a true PG, not yet another 6'5 PG who is slower than everyone else we are going to play.

Nunge is the perfect example of what is wrong with this team. Nunge is a good player, and is going to get better, but he just isn't a 3. At every position Fran puts a longer (but slower) player in spots defensively where they are matched up against quicker players. Sure he can play the 3 offensively, but he is going to have a harder time getting to the rim around a quicker 3/SF than he would around a 4/PF. Same defensively Nunge can't stay in front of 90% of the quicker 6'6, 6'7 SF/wings that he will have to guard.

Nunge has played fine at the 3. Iowa plays zone about 60% of the time. Also Dailey at 6’7 with a long wingspan can certainly play 3 at this level.

Again, as I said yesterday I think Fran should go smaller with Cook at the 5 and Nunge at the 4. Dailey backup 2 and 3.

You guys are relentless... just don't jump back on the ship when this team figures things out... and they will or Fran will be gone. It's that simple. I'm not saying this season, I'm saying - this core is here for the next 3-4 years and this board has pretty much declared them all bums by their Sophomore season.

Latest posts