This Board is Filled with Tavern Hoks

Seriously who defended lickliter in the end?

I did. I thought (and said as much here) that if he could ever get the entire roster to come back and establish some player continuity, he should be given the chance to see what he could do. But neither of those things ever happened.

You were forced to do so, obviously. If you hate the product on the field so much, close your wallet.

umad-meme-generator-u-mad-bro-u-mad-319409.jpg

Dave- there is a thread stating that people are not renewing tickets. And last year the stadium was supposed to be half empty for teh Purdue game and 75% Go Big Red for teh Nebby game.

People are bailing on this program.

Season tickets are down 1%...very predictable after last year's poor showing. However, the big donor seats in and around the press box are sold out, as usual. So, to make a blanket statement that "People are bailing on this program" is a bit misleading. Students are the major cause for attendance drop...there are 10,000 tickets made available for them. In basketball, the student section all but disappeared during and after Lick. I have a season BB ticket and I observed even last year the student section was not nearly up to par. Now, they are talking about having to "split" the season tickets for students into two groups, since the demand is so high. If and when we start winning again in football, the students will come back.

I did. I thought (and said as much here) that if he could ever get the entire roster to come back and establish some player continuity, he should be given the chance to see what he could do. But neither of those things ever happened.

I admit I did to, but for different reasons. Never did I think Iowa would eat 2 years of his salary to let him go. I thought he would be given 1 more season to turn it around.

Season tickets are down 1%...very predictable after last year's poor showing. However, the big donor seats in and around the press box are sold out, as usual. So, to make a blanket statement that "People are bailing on this program" is a bit misleading. Students are the major cause for attendance drop...there are 10,000 tickets made available for them. In basketball, the student section all but disappeared during and after Lick. I have a season BB ticket and I observed even last year the student section was not nearly up to par. Now, they are talking about having to "split" the season tickets for students into two groups, since the demand is so high. If and when we start winning again in football, the students will come back.

The last two home games have been played in brutal weather and over holiday weekends; that surely hasn't helped. There won't be many students in the stands for this weekend or Western Michigan either.

The last two home games have been played in brutal weather and over holiday weekends; that surely hasn't helped. There won't be many students in the stands for this weekend or Western Michigan either.
Many students will use the cupcake games to get VodkaSamm drunk and miss the kick all together.

The biggest drop will be after this year if they turn in another below .500 performance.

Kinnick Stadium Attendance - Iowa Official Athletic Site

They have not updated this through 2004 but you can see the down years reflected in the attendance figures. If the attendance figures start dropping to the low 60's per game then it starts making financial sense to replace Ferentz. Lost revenue on 9K+ tickets per game outweigh Ferentz's buyout.

The 11000 empty seats at CHA were the tell.

Agreed, which is why I also feel confident they will not ride out Ferentz's contract if he does not turn it around soon. 10K empty seats in Kinnick are worth a lot more money than 11K empty seats in CHA.

Pretty obvious that most of the posters here jumped on the wagon during the 2002-2004 years.

Now the program is a little down and they are ready to abandon ship.

Well... YEAH. What do you expect? Welcome to the world of sports.

7 straight losses is more than just "a little down", especially considering Iowa won the Orange Bowl less than 4 years ago.

Last edited:
Seriously who defended lickliter in the end?

I couldn't name names, but there was a small group that was still preaching patience, and how Iowa fans run of their coaches, that we couldn't afford the buyout (which we did, easily), how we had a great recruiting class coming in, etc. This was not a large group by any stretch, but they were here. 99% of this board was screaming for Lick to be fired.

There just are some fans that would never fire the coach, no matter how bad things got, for one reason or another.

Count me in as a tavern hok. If your definition is becoming a fan when the hawks were awesome, that describes me. When I was 6 years old I starting watching football. My entire family was cyclone season ticket holders and one day my mom accidentally turns on a football game. Chuck long and the #1 Hawkeye were playing with these bad *** black and gold uniforms. I was like "who are these guys"? And then my mother, to the dismay of my father was like "that's Chuck Long and those are the Hawkeyes but we're not supposed to root for them". I've been a Hawkeye ever since and mom always let me turn the games on. Also we had a heck of a basketball team and the best wrestling program. So do I expect to be great? You better believe it. And just in case I haven't been clear, the football product we have at this point is an absolute embarrassment.

Latest posts