This Board is Filled with Tavern Hoks

The Iowa Hawkeyes are not synonymous with Kirk Ferentz, some people need to realize that. Some people also need to learn what is actually happening in football games instead of making excuses for a guy they don't know.

The Iowa Hawkeyes are not synonymous with Kirk Ferentz, some people need to realize that. Some people also need to learn what is actually happening in football games instead of making excuses for a guy they don't know.

learn from you, i assume.

I like taverns! But not sloppy joe's. Big difference.

Why does everyone have to bicker at each other after a loss? Hok fans, true fans, blah.

I'm not sure where you have been, but Iowa Hawkeye football most certainly is synonymous with Kirk Ferentz. Just as before KF it was synonymous with Hayden Fry.

That is the way it works. Will Iowa be fine after KF is done? Sure they will be, but to think that the Hawkeyes aren't synonymous with a 14 year tenured head coach is just silly.

You did, as evidenced above, but nevertheless, my point was that your opinion is irrelevant. A non season ticket-holder giving advice to a season ticket holder is as meaningless and absurd as a lazy fat guy telling a triathlete which running shoes to wear.

You're a season ticket holder? WOW! May I have your autograph?

Jon, you need to have a way to mark the season ticket holders. That way if they have an opinion us non season ticket holders know not to question them. Put a gold star next to their name or something, thanks in advance.

I've been a diehard TavernHawk since 1970. Listening to the games in the back yard on the radio with my grandpa (not much TV back then). After watching the last game I am going to update my prediction from 2 wins to 5 wins. I thought I saw a lot of improvement. But what do I know I also inherited being a diehard Cub fan from grandpa.

Jon, you need to have a way to mark the season ticket holders. That way if they have an opinion us non season ticket holders know not to question them. Put a gold star next to their name or something, thanks in advance.

Gold star?!!! Now you've got me excited!

I'm not sure where you have been, but Iowa Hawkeye football most certainly is synonymous with Kirk Ferentz. Just as before KF it was synonymous with Hayden Fry.

That is the way it works. Will Iowa be fine after KF is done? Sure they will be, but to think that the Hawkeyes aren't synonymous with a 14 year tenured head coach is just silly.

Don't be so sure. Bigger name programs than Iowa have made terrible coaching hires.

When and where did I say I am a season ticket holder?

When and where did I say I am a season ticket holder?

OMG, then forget the damn autograph.

But you might want mine, I am one of the few TavernHok fans here that works in a cubicle and has never had season tickets nor attended U of I (or any college for that matter). Almost everybody else here either has season tickets, has a fancy job (big donors), is an alumni, or just a troll (although I sometimes do this as well). You will find posters like me are more rare than the non TavernHok fans.

Everyone else here is an expert, me I am just a guy who happen to fall in love with the Hawks when they made their Final Four run in basketball back in 1980 and later (thanks to Chuck Long & Hayden Fry) discovered they had a football team.

Count me in as a tavern hok. If your definition is becoming a fan when the hawks were awesome, that describes me. When I was 6 years old I starting watching football. My entire family was cyclone season ticket holders and one day my mom accidentally turns on a football game. Chuck long and the #1 Hawkeye were playing with these bad *** black and gold uniforms. I was like "who are these guys"? And then my mother, to the dismay of my father was like "that's Chuck Long and those are the Hawkeyes but we're not supposed to root for them". I've been a Hawkeye ever since and mom always let me turn the games on. Also we had a heck of a basketball team and the best wrestling program. So do I expect to be great? You better believe it. And just in case I haven't been clear, the football product we have at this point is an absolute embarrassment.

Exactly. I have always been a Hawkeye fan, but I really became a huge Hawkeye hoops fan in the 1986-87 season when the team reached #1 in the country, won 30 games, and went to the Elite 8. And the 2002 football season really turned me into a Hawkeye football fanatic.

I was a fan before these seasons, and I am still a fan, but it's the great seasons that really get the fan base amped up. All sports fans are "bandwagon fans" to some degree or another, and it's natural for excitement to ebb and flow with the success of your favorite team or lack thereof.

I am also a lifelong Cubs fan.. Was I more excited about the team and did I watch more of their games back in 2008 when they won 97 games than compared to this year? OF COURSE.

Some of you act like this phenomenon is unique to Iowa. Common. Really? I mean, REALLY?

You haven't said either way, but the way you came after me suggests that you are.

It's a fun game though.

I asked you a question, which you answered (presumably) truthfully, and I responded with my OPINION about your odd habit of hectoring season ticket holders and advising them on how they should or should not feel about the product for which they paid.
If you feel that I "came after you", well...maybe you're just too sensitive for this environment?

I asked you a question, which you answered (presumably) truthfully, and I responded with my OPINION about your odd habit of hectoring season ticket holders and advising them on how they should or should not feel about the product for which they paid.
If you feel that I "came after you", well...maybe you're just too sensitive for this environment?

And yet here you sit judging me without answering the same question that you've been asked twice now. I don't care about how any particular season ticket holder or holders feel about what they're seeing on the field. It's not something that dominates my day or that I lose sleep over. If they feel that strongly about it, they'll stop buying them. Speaking with your wallet sure seems like it'd send a more powerful message than ******** on a message board, doesn't it? There are plenty of other people who will buy those seats.

I am not a season ticket holder anymore. I am also not on here to tell season ticket holders to quietly accept the substandard product for which they've paid big dollars. I am not giving them ultimatums ("shut up or stop buying tickets"). Why should a person have to stop buying tickets in order to expect a superior product in return? How does that make sense, Biff?

I've been seeing this TavernHok phrase tossed around lately. Not quite sure I get it. it seems to me that you're suggesting there is a difference between a fan who goes into the stadium for the game, and the fan who goes into a bar for a game??? do you have a phrase for the fan who just stays home to watch the game? there are 70,585 seats at Kinnick Stadium.. are you suggesting that there should only be 70,585 true hawk fans on a given week? If this is the case, for those who toss this phrase around, you are complete morons.

I've been seeing this TavernHok phrase tossed around lately. Not quite sure I get it. it seems to me that you're suggesting there is a difference between a fan who goes into the stadium for the game, and the fan who goes into a bar for a game??? do you have a phrase for the fan who just stays home to watch the game? there are 70,585 seats at Kinnick Stadium.. are you suggesting that there should only be 70,585 true hawk fans on a given week? If this is the case, for those who toss this phrase around, you are complete morons.

Yes.

SofaHok?

Latest posts