The "we" debate, in Olympic context

Meanwhile at scorps house:

375677_452655988099125_2136319923_n.jpg

GOAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

and another poster who can't explain his weird possessive expressions is heard from

I think you are incorrectly assuming that people are speaking possessively when they use terms like "we," "us," and "my" in reference to athletes and teams. Linguistically, the genitive case can be either possessive or relational. Terms like "we," "us," and "my" express relationship to the players and teams rather than possession of the players and teams. While there may not be a direct relationship to the athletes by most Americans, I think it is fair to say that there is a nationalistic relationship that transcends direct relationship and allows for use of personal terms when regular Americans wish to speak about athletes on the US Olympic team.

And when people give you explanations, you either spout off crap like "jingoistic patriotism", or post one of your many "hilarious" memes.

Don't blame us for the fact that you just like to troll.

I don't blame you for anything, TORK. Except maybe the inability to think for yourself.
But I expect you'll find that skill as you mature and gain life experience in The Real World.

I don't blame you for anything, TORK. Except maybe the inability to think for yourself.
But I expect you'll find that skill as you mature and gain life experience in The Real World.

Being contrarian and inflammatory is not the same thing as thinking for yourself.

I think you are incorrectly assuming that people are speaking possessively when they use terms like "we," "us," and "my" in reference to athletes and teams. Linguistically, the genitive case can be either possessive or relational. Terms like "we," "us," and "my" express relationship to the players and teams rather than possession of the players and teams. While there may not be a direct relationship to the athletes by most Americans, I think it is fair to say that there is a nationalistic relationship that transcends direct relationship and allows for use of personal terms when regular Americans wish to speak about athletes on the US Olympic team.

FINALLY!! WE HAVE A LEGIT EXPLANATION!!
THANK YOU, TEHJUMPER!

I wish I had a cash prize to send to you. :)

Good God man! I think the question is why does it bother you so much. Maybe some time for a little self reflection. Where and when did this issue start in life for you? Is it long standing? Just a recent annoyance? Why can't you just let go?

Here a little exercise... Close your eyes. Good. Now just roll your shoulders around and around. Gently now; just enough to loosen you up. Now turn that shoulder roll into a shrug; up down up down. That's it keep going. Now start doing it faster and more exaggerated; up down up down up down. Now here's your mantra " who the **** cares?", "I don't!" "who the **** cares?" "I don't!"

This works better than drinking. ;)

(oh...and it's probably better to do in a room by yourself)

I wish I could use this entire rant for my sig-line... :cool:

Being contrarian and inflammatory is not the same thing as thinking for yourself.

I didn't say you should be like me, TORK. I ain't no role model.
Be your own man. Be original. Be independent. Be unique.
Start today.

FINALLY!! WE HAVE A LEGIT EXPLANATION!!
THANK YOU, TEHJUMPER!

I wish I had a cash prize to send to you. :)

He didn't offer up anything groundbreaking in this thread. He gave a grammar lesson explaining how it can be acceptable, but the reason for using those pronouns was exactly the same as what th rest of us have been telling you all along.

He didn't offer up anything groundbreaking in this thread. He gave a grammar lesson explaining how it can be acceptable, but the reason for using those pronouns was exactly the same as what th rest of us have been telling you all along.

I prefer to interpret his post as offering a valid explanation for a subconscious behavior.

Y'all don't even know why you way "we" and "us", as evidenced by the flaccid and knee-jerk responses. TehJumper5 stepped in with the goods and let the rest of you sheep off the hook.

TehJumper wins the day.

Latest posts