The "we" debate, in Olympic context

Like I said scorp. The USOC pushes the team as a we thing. Since you are not an athlete either, I dont think you are the best judge of how this should be addressed. If they want to feel like a member of the US as a whole, then so be it.

The Olympics, and the USA Olympic team, are 100% commercial entities. It is a for-profit endeavor.
Are you part of the Packers organization because you root for them each autumn and you bought a Farvrerr jersey?

The Olympics, and the USA Olympic team, are 100% commercial entities. It is a for-profit endeavor.
Are you part of the Packers organization because you root for them each autumn and you bought a Farvrerr jersey?

Scorp your personal feelings do not matter. js. If they want to be addressed as we, that is their thing. They have the right to determin how they want us to speak about them, not you. Plus, I eat Team USA cheerios. That makes me a team member =D

Love it or GTFO. China will love to have you.

Lol_face.jpeg

Been to the olympics several times. Great pride in the usa athletes. I'm from usa. Does that make a difference? Although, i think it depends on the reference of conversation, and with whom, as to which way is acceptable and when, because like a hawk fan I've used both.
When you lived i
n CO, did you attend Rockies and Broncos games? Did that make you feel like you were part of the team, or in an ownership position?Or were you merely a spectator who
paid for the privilege of entry to
the event?

Same thing...if I'm IN a conversation with a fellow hawkeye friend about the hawks, and we are now discussing the rb situation...it seems natural to say "man, OUR running backs sure are lining up with some good depth", as opposed to saying "man, IOWA'S rb's sure are....depth", which may be what is said if the conversation was with a friend who was not a hawk fan (blasphamy, I know).

Not saying it's right or wrong, just that I use both when in different conversations.

It's up to you what you want it to be. You can use "we" "us" and "our" if you so choose, or not. Neither is wrong.

Personally, I use "we", etc. It's the Olympics for Christ's sake. I'm not an American fan. I'm an American, cheering on my countrymen (and women) as they set out to prove that no one in the world can match us when it comes to athletics.

So scorp, answer this. Its ok to refer to Iowa as us or we if you go to the school but living in american isnt enough to refer to the team as us and we?

Good God man! I think the question is why does it bother you so much. Maybe some time for a little self reflection. Where and when did this issue start in life for you? Is it long standing? Just a recent annoyance? Why can't you just let go?

Here a little exercise... Close your eyes. Good. Now just roll your shoulders around and around. Gently now; just enough to loosen you up. Now turn that shoulder roll into a shrug; up down up down. That's it keep going. Now start doing it faster and more exaggerated; up down up down up down. Now here's your mantra " who the **** cares?", "I don't!" "who the **** cares?" "I don't!"

This works better than drinking. ;)

(oh...and it's probably better to do in a room by yourself)

Last edited:

Latest posts